Notices

Posts: 1,187 | Thanked: 816 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Australia
Just log into gmail's webpage. No trace on your n900 Problem solved..

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
You guys keep suggesting solutions he's pointed out as not part of his desired use case.

It's not the issue of having a secret email account literally - you can easily just make blah112358fibonachisequencecan'tguessthisaddressca nyou*****blah@yahoo.com or something, and share it with only specific contacts. THAT isn't what he's talking about.

You can also log in from the webmail client, but that, is, again, not what he's talking about - he said he doesn't like being logged in through the web client. (Personally, that's exactly what I see as a strength of the N900. I don't need built in email clients, I can just go to the familiar and versatile full web pages, but whatever.)

And, furthermore, putting it in EasyDebian (or another chroot operating system) is only an advantage if Debian/whatever has the feature he's looking for, and it won't kill his battery to have a 'hidden' email client checking in the background, from within EasyDebian.

The point is, he's not looking to hide the email address itself from sight, or from other people knowing that he's got blahblah@blah.com. He's looking for a way to have an email client 'hide' the emails of blahblah@blah.com from view in the UI, without logging him out of blahblah@blah.com. Meanwhile, accounts like blehbloo@blah.com or blahblah@bleh.net stay visible in the same client.

All accounts stay logged in, and all get their new emails like they normally would, but with the option to hide specific accounts and its respective emails from the email client's UI, and suppress any new email notifications for that client, if there are any.

Which is why right now I'm thinking you either change one of the existing email clients to support that feature, or you change one to run silently in the background, and keep your hidden/'secret' accounts signed into that one, while keeping your normal accounts in Modest.

Or, well, you suck it up and keep logging in/out of the accounts you don't want the emails showing up for, if possible with a script to make it faster.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
(FYI, the word's monogamous, not monogamic
Yeah, that matters.

The Following User Says Thank You to mattbutsko For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Originally Posted by mattbutsko View Post
Yeah, that matters.
No less so than you feeling the need to create an entire post just to criticize it mattering, I would argue. If I had made an entire post dedicated to just that, you'd have a case. But since I was already making a sufficiently productive and on-topic, in my opinion, post, I see no reason why having that extra correction in there is at all an issue.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
How about a shell script that will rename or move/swap some files or folders? Does Modest work like that or would that just screw things up?

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 284 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Malaysia
Suggestion: (but not the most enviromentally approved suggestion). Print out the email, hide it with your secret collection of ??? and delete off the email! No trace, even hackers can't get that if you lost the N900!

I don't need an alternate boot in a hidden rubberhose-proof encrypted partition, simply needing to run a terminal comand to toggle the presence of the account in Modest would be enough.

Posts: 17 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Portsmouth UK
Simple, using gconftool-2.

First, find the relevant email account (bold is what you type):

Code:
[sbox-FREMANTLE_X86: ~] > gconftool-2 --all-dirs /apps/modest/accounts
 /apps/modest/accounts/gmailID
If you have more than one account, there will be several paths on the list up there. For example, my account you can see above is called 'gmail'.
Then, you can use gconftool-2 to view the details of each of the accounts listed to find the path for the relevant one:

Code:
[sbox-FREMANTLE_X86: ~] > gconftool-2 -a /apps/modest/accounts/gmailID
 signature = 
 limit-retrieve = 20
 notification_ids = [1]
 store_account = gmailID_store
 has_new_mails = false
 retrieve = messages-and-attachments
 email = xxx@googlemail.com
 use_specific_smtp = false
 enabled = true
 leave_on_server = true
 display_name = gmail
 fullname = xxx
 use_signature = false
 transport_account = gmailID_transport
Then you can change enabled to false, restart modest and it won't be there til you change it back to true:

Code:
[sbox-FREMANTLE_X86: ~] > gconftool-2 -s /apps/modest/accounts/gmailID/enabled --type bool false
Change the 'false' to 'true' to re-enable it, you can probably make a shell script to turn it on and off if you like, the path generally shouldn't change, so once you find the account, it's just a case of remembering that last command...

Hope that helps!

Last edited by cmantito; 2010-12-26 at 11:52.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cmantito For This Useful Post:
That seems to be perfect, thx!

Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
No less so than you feeling the need to create an entire post just to criticize it mattering, I would argue. If I had made an entire post dedicated to just that, you'd have a case. But since I was already making a sufficiently productive and on-topic, in my opinion, post, I see no reason why having that extra correction in there is at all an issue.
Yeah, I don't really dedicate too much to this forum, nor do I take it's members too seriously. I kinda blew off your post. My bad. No ****, the post that I quoted, I didn't actually finish reading it. Just don't really care enough.

Edit: Alright I just went back and plowed through it. Good point, but it didn't take a lot of effort to hit Quote and type like 17 characters, so I didn't go that far outta my way.

Code:
[sbox-FREMANTLE_X86: ~] > gconftool-2 -s /apps/modest/accounts/gmailID/enabled --type bool false
This little bit is simple but genius. Great work.

Last edited by mattbutsko; 2010-12-28 at 02:49.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mattbutsko For This Useful Post:

Tags
email, modest, privacy, wanking