Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
shame
thats the same problem for the Nokia N series siblings then.
wonder if Harmattan will allow completely scalable UI so we can make use of the millions of otherwise viable devices?

Posts: 381 | Thanked: 847 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by kdrozd View Post
So I was wondering if able to run Maemo 5 OS on another phone, for example, Iphone or Palm Pre 3GS.
It is unlikely that official Maemo will be possible for such devices, but if there is a Linux port then maybe Mer would be possible.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bergie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 54 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Wrocław / Poland

Linux barely runs on the iPhone last time I checked..barely as in just command line.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
For other people finding this thread wondering about getting Maemo/Mer on a device, here's a basic check list to follow:
1) Does it have a port of the Linux kernel, able to boot without hardware modifications?
2) Are there Linux drivers for most of the hardware (especially: framebuffer, touchscreen, any GSM or wifi or bluetooth radios you want to use)?
3) Does it have at least 127MB of RAM and a 640x480 screen?
4) Is someone already running Angstrom or Debian or Ubuntu on it (booted natively, not chrooted)?

If you've made it all the way to 4 chances are really good that you could get Mer working without too much work at all. Even if you've just made it to 3, you could probably get there with some dedication and hacking, but if you're not that far you're going to have to be (or know) a serious hacker to see Maemo/Mer running on your device inside it's lifetime.

-John

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Johnx For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ A place with no mountains
Has anyone considered running one of our community OS's on the Verizon/Motorola Droid?

What obstacles are there to actually running Maemo 5 on the Droid? (And same question regarding Mer or Debian-variants.)

Assuming this is feasible, I might be willing to go get a Droid and do experiments along these lines if some knowledgeable people from the community would lend the expert support I'd need.

The Droid is a heavily promoted carrier phone and as such is pretty heavily locked down - you would have to reverse engineer a variety of pieces and break some signature checking and encryption in order to get any sort of 3rd-party OS on it.

No variant of Maemo has ever supported a CDMA radio, either.

So in terms of obstacles, there are an *awful* lot.

Hello all.

Could Maemo5 run on hardware not from Nokia? I am thinking about a device such as the LG Expo.

I really like what I see from the N900. The only problem is that it won't achieve it's full potential on At&t's network. I use At&t and like their service. I have heard nothing but bad things about T-mobile. If the LG expo could run Maemo 5 it would be just as good as a N900 on an att network.

I have also seen reports from sources such as reuters that Nokia will introduce a new phone next year. Any idea what that one will be like? (Will it support AT&T ?)

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Threads merged.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
No you cannot run Maemo on hardware Nokia does not support. Mer on the other hand you can provided you have the drivers.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:

Tags
fremantle, harmattan, install, iphone, maemo, maemo 4, maemo 5, maemo 6, mer, non-nokia, operating system, palm pre