Posts: 124 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Northern DFW
Re:
Originally Posted by Stskeeps
* Making a LXDE based environment instead of the xfce4+matchbox environment that's standard right now, on par with the interface in Debian beta3
We may want to do a postinstall that removes the "OnlyShowIn=GNOME" line from the /etc/xdg/autostart/nm-applet.desktop file, otherwise the network manager applet doesn't seem to want to run. (Forgive me if this has been fixed; every time I try to update/reinstall lately it leaves my tablet unbootable for some reason. I've just been restoring from backup for the last week or so).

mpd is fixed in my repo.. I have uploaded my own copy of mpd and ran

apt-get install gmpc mpd

And it automatically grabbed mine since I raised the version number.. it installs and sets up fine.. it gives a warning when it generates the tag_cache but thats expected. No errors.

It points to /var/lib/mpd/music and /var/lib/mpd/playlists for your music.. I personally change these to /home/user/music and /home/user/music/playlists (i believe this was in Johns beta3).. but I left the mpd package as default as possible and just added whats necesary to work with our sound.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
It points to /var/lib/mpd/music and /var/lib/mpd/playlists for your music.. I personally change these to /home/user/music and /home/user/music/playlists (i believe this was in Johns beta3).. but I left the mpd package as default as possible and just added whats necesary to work with our sound.
Could you perhaps make it into /home/<contents of /etc/tablet_user> if one such exists - to fit in with the rest of Deblet?
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
Could you perhaps make it into /home/<contents of /etc/tablet_user> if one such exists - to fit in with the rest of Deblet?
well of course..check your pms ... I can add to the postinst script to create the two directories and chmod them... I asked in my oher thread and no one seemed to care so I figured sticking with defaults was the way to go. Deblet doesn't have a standard for mpd that I was aware...I just liked Johns implementation of using the users home drive.

If you want it default like that I can do.

Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
it's been Done

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Posts: 124 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Northern DFW
I have a suggestion for another challenge: pocketsphinx, the 'handheld' version of CMU's speech recognition package.
Apparently someone has at least started working on porting for maemo.
I'm not sure how it would be useful, but it would definitely be neat.

Something more for Deblet - Deblet splash screen instead of console boot. And noticing that my boot time for Deblet is seemingily 60 seconds now, which is quite an improvement. (see http://www.daimi.au.dk/~cvm/bootchart.splash.png )

You can get it with upgrade_deblet, apt-get dist-upgrade, apt-get install nit-env-x. I can't show you screenshots as it's in framebuffer, but it does look snazzy :P

This disables console boot for now when installed, but in the near feature I'll make a button-activated rescue menu like bootmenu that allows you to start up different debugging methods such as g_ether (usbnet), g_serial (bash on a serial port), enable console framebuffer, etc.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

And a bit of splash screen video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPP2BGsY4BM

The Following User Says Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
The next step, for the truly adventurous, is to flash your tablet with deblet instead of OS2008, so you boot to deblet by default.

Fanoush has a procedure for this. He is talking about backing up and flashing OS2008, but it seems perfectly reasonable that any bootable rootfs should work.

I only wish I had the guts to try it

(also, you have to have a very small rootfs)

Once Bluetooth DUN works I would.

Bluetooth DUN and working video and I think Deblet will be a valid and complete replacement for Maemo.. for those that want it. The only thing I use maemo for anymore is if I need to check something to answer someone's questions.. or if I need to work on my home stuff at work .. Bluetooth DUN ftw.

It has multimedia; bluetooth; Full Web 2.0 Experience.... sure it has it's bugs.. but it's not like Maemo is perfect .

I think the biggest problem might be getting a full deblet with a decent window manager and all to fit in the 128MB flash size....

Tags
debian, deblet, deblet challenges