Posts: 37 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Feb 2008 @ San Franicsco
I finally got my n810 and I love it. I'm just having a couple of issues, first, Skype will not install because of missing libraries. Any ideas? Also Kagu doesn't start up, it just goes back to the home screen. What gives?

Originally Posted by braveally View Post
I finally got my n810 and I love it. I'm just having a couple of issues, first, Skype will not install because of missing libraries. Any ideas? Also Kagu doesn't start up, it just goes back to the home screen. What gives?
First go to maemo.org and search for "red pill mode". Enable that - you get more libraries and things then.

I think I had the kaego problem and I removed then reinstalled once I had red pill up and it worked.

If Skype still fails to load, go to www.gronmayer.com/it and search for the libraries it wants there. IT will tell you what repository to add to get them, and give a 1 click to add that repository.

(by the way, it really helps people to answer your questions if you give more information. If it wants libraries say what they are. If it gives an error messages, quote it in full.)

Zebee

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Zebee View Post
First go to maemo.org and search for "red pill mode". Enable that - you get more libraries and things then.
No, red pill really shouldn't be an answer here. Did you enable the Extras repository?

Originally Posted by Zebee View Post
Let's stop giving this as advice. It's just counter-productive, red pill mode mostly gives you a bigger gun to shoot your foot with -- it does not help at least in this situation.

braveally, First I'd check the OS version if I were you (Settings->Control panel->About Device). It should say "OS2008 2.2007.50-2", but I wouldn't be surprised if some devices still had the first revision. I think Skype had some problems on the first release.

I can tell ya that the new N800 systems are still shipping with OS2007. At least the one I got from Amazon the other day came with that OS. First thing I did was update the OS.

Then yesterday when I was having probs I just reinstalled it again to undo anything I foobar'd. It is far easier to do that then trouble shoot when you are just getting started with the NIT's. At least I think so...too much to absorb, especially for folks like me who are coming over from Windows after a couple decades using nothing but...

BTW, I agree about the RPM not being the answer for most solutions. I looked at tested how to enable it then promptly went back to BPM...for exactly the reason GA mentions, just an extra way to bugger myself and have to start over from scratch, again.

braveally, update your tablet's firmware to the latest version before you try to install Skype.

My N810's Skype had exactly the same problem installing Skype, I updated the firmware, and the problem went away.

Here's a guide if you need it:

http://tabletschool.blogspot.com/200...-firmware.html

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Feb 2008 @ San Franicsco
ok. my firmware is old so i will update it. another questionn, the maps application only shows europe. no us addresses. is this a big problem (i heard some people were duped with th international version) i hope not. is there another mapping app you guys would recommend?

Posts: 20 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Ontario, Canada
The wayfinder mapping software has the ability to download map data for other regions, from the menu [button below the dpad, or switch out of full screen mode], go to Maps>Available Maps and you can download whatever regions you'd like.

The Following User Says Thank You to azemute For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by braveally View Post
another questionn, the maps application only shows europe. no us addresses. is this a big problem (i heard some people were duped with th international version) i hope not.
Not a problem at all, no one was duped.

You can download totally free map packs for wherever you are whenever you need them. Azemute has explained how you do that.

When I got my N810 it had UK maps (because I ordered it from the UK), but as I live in Finland I downloaded the Scandinavian map pack instead.

The Following User Says Thank You to krisse For This Useful Post: