Active Topics

Notices

Yet another already-existing option is m.facebook.com. It's not full-featured (neither would an app be) but it is fast. (See this for more useful mobile URLs.)

I think we should encourage sites like FaceBook to create mobile versions of their site INSTEAD of iOS apps. Because their mobile site will work for us just as well as it will work for an iPod. But "there's an app for that web site"? Stop the insanity!

Originally Posted by buurmas View Post
I think we should encourage sites like FaceBook to create mobile versions of their site INSTEAD of iOS apps. Because their mobile site will work for us just as well as it will work for an iPod. But "there's an app for that web site"? Stop the insanity!
While I agree with that sentiment, part of the problem is HTML5 isn't commonplace yet.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 30 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Florida
Originally Posted by CYPHERC View Post
There is an app being develop by artron, we want a new facebook app, and we dont help? lets help as testers for this app
I wouldn't mind helping with testing it out, how do we sign up?

Posts: 129 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ New York, NY
Originally Posted by buurmas View Post
Yet another already-existing option is m.facebook.com. It's not full-featured (neither would an app be) but it is fast. (See this for more useful mobile URLs.)

I'm not sure I agree, for reasons made by others already in this forum. The apps I've seen on the iPhone/Android phones are usually much quicker than loading a website. Also, apps are customized for finger-friendliness, which is nice compared to having to zoom in or use the stylus. Although apps do not always have full functionality (when compared to the browser) it's usually what is needed.

I think, however, that with the coming of meego phones, the N900 and Maemo will see less and less development (and it is already meager). I hope I'm wrong, and I'm happy to see that the community is still alive and kicking AND producing some interesting apps of our own.

Originally Posted by gonediscin View Post
I wouldn't mind helping with testing it out, how do we sign up?
here

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=61380

here

That's just a status updater no? We want a full facebook app. Please! Anyone?

Originally Posted by jmc8501 View Post
I'm not sure I agree, for reasons made by others already in this forum. The apps I've seen on the iPhone/Android phones are usually much quicker than loading a website. Also, apps are customized for finger-friendliness, which is nice compared to having to zoom in or use the stylus. Although apps do not always have full functionality (when compared to the browser) it's usually what is needed.

I think, however, that with the coming of meego phones, the N900 and Maemo will see less and less development (and it is already meager). I hope I'm wrong, and I'm happy to see that the community is still alive and kicking AND producing some interesting apps of our own.
The problem with apps is it gets annoying maintaining multiple versions. Android, Blackberry, Meego/Symbian, IPhone, Windows 7, etc..etc..Especially if you have to go through approval processes like with Apple. The end result is simply ignoring the smaller marketshare and going after the bigger ones. But a properly designed website won't have the same problems with the sacrifice of device specific functionality.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Posts: 30 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Florida
here

Not what I was looking for. I want an app on the n900, not another app on facebook. Especially one that wants my personal info including my friends list and all my status updates.

Wish there is something like the FB widget, but gives you a chance to upload photos/videos, comment & status update with auto capitalization and predictive text straight from the desktop?

Would be awesome if the widget is the size of one of the four desktops to give ample working room. Would understand if a widget wouldn't function right for this, but would prefer it.

Originally Posted by RAZOR View Post
That's just a status updater no? We want a full facebook app. Please! Anyone?
Originally Posted by gonediscin View Post
Not what I was looking for. I want an app on the n900, not another app on facebook. Especially one that wants my personal info including my friends list and all my status updates.

Wish there is something like the FB widget, but gives you a chance to upload photos/videos, comment & status update with auto capitalization and predictive text straight from the desktop?

Would be awesome if the widget is the size of one of the four desktops to give ample working room. Would understand if a widget wouldn't function right for this, but would prefer it.
Sorry i havent use it yet since im at work and cant use my phone here...

The Following User Says Thank You to CYPHERC For This Useful Post:
Posts: 334 | Thanked: 94 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Ireland
i thin the main point is that despite how amazing the browser is apps make things easier and quicker. Also apps make the phone, if Nokia had apps like Android and Apple their phones would compete on a much more even field.

I would love the Facebook app thats on Iphone, also the Foursquare one, the Twitter one and I could continue.

App make the phone

Tags
bada rox, just shoot me