Active Topics

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009

Posts: 559 | Thanked: 1,017 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by tissot View Post
Somehow i remember seeing some of the very first N9 videos showing copy paste on the browser. Tough could be just my imagination.

N9/N950 webkit2 browser is certainly the most modern and smoothest i have seen from Nokia, but seems like it needs more features. Like proper copy&paste and better bookmark system imo.
I don't trust Nokia to add any features to any of the default programs. So I wait for the Firefox to become real alternative for default browser and get N9 after that.

Also the Aegis situation needs to be clarified before I buy N9. If Nokia drives more key community contributors away then the N9 is definately a no-go for me.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to OVK For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by momcilo View Post
What about the fifth wheel?
Steering wheel? It is fundamentally broken and should not be shown to public.

The Following User Says Thank You to OVK For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
You neglected to circle the THANKS that I have him.
That would have been too obvious so I left it out on purpose

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OVK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Sigh... yes... but you're citing Alien Dalvik...
I dunno, haven't had time to look closely at it, maybe check-out that thread, have you bothered yet?
Or do you just want believe it's not going to happen, & so would rather not even look into it?

Seriously Dan, what's with you, you're relentlessly negative, I mean relentlessly, without fail.
Skepticism's cool, I'm all for that, but you really do go beyond that, regularly...
If I find something that's not yet a given, I'm always careful to add a qualifier, isn't that good enough?
Not meant as a personal attack, just don't get colour of your posts sometimes, they're relentlessly cynical.
Fair points but I have checked them out (or I had already BEEN checking them out all along--they're hardly new, right?). Here's the thing... it's all been a lot of talk (which I've had to learn, often seems to be the case in the Nokia platforms) but ultimately, there's been nothing delivered. There's always been this PROMISE with Nokia and Maemo and now MeeGo.. but it keeps falling short. The trend is that there's always this great promise (openness, support, etc. and in this case, there's this carrot dangling about compatibility with Android apps) but in the end, you just end up chasing that carrot until you realize there's no point.

I simply would like to know if there's an answer to that question: Is there going to be SOMETHING there, or will this end up being yet another promising feature/application/hope unfulfilled? At the grand cost of appearing cynical, it's not an unfair question. Isn't it? I'm pretty sure even the most ardent of N9 supporters will want to know the answer, even if they're repressing that instinct just to appear optimistic. As I've said elsewhere--I gave up on giving Nokia my optimism and benefit of the doubt ages ago after our ITT and TMO history, poor support and dashed hopes. I will believe things when I see them, as far as Nokia and Maemo/MeeGo are concerned.

Whether you want to label it cynical or not, the question remains: Does anybody have any solid info on when SOMEONE will come out with an Android compatibility layer instead of rumoring or promising that there will be such a feature available sooner or later or never? If there won't be one, what's the point of hashing it out all over again, unless they make clear that there's an operation to release it?
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 844 | Thanked: 521 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ UK southampton
Originally Posted by Pillum View Post
oh, my fault
hard to read/remember any of these 6800 posts
What so your telling us you have not even bothered to read the last 6000 posts

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to casper27 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by OVK View Post
Steering wheel? It is fundamentally broken and should not be shown to public.
No, but glad to see somebody noticed it.

It is related to the qgil's article: The four wheels spinning MeeGo 1.2 Harmattan

This may be a red pill.

Apparently AEGIS is the fifth wheel nobody from Nokia bothered to advertise to community.

The one that is:
  • unnecessary
  • unprovoked
  • undesired

I've started the following thread because of curiosity and mild concern.

But once the Harmattan Beta 2 release, the concern is getting stronger.

"there is no spoon."

The key question is:
What will be the final security policy (including the bootloader, kernel, and the rest of it) on N9?

Last edited by momcilo; 2011-09-23 at 09:30.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to momcilo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 196 | Thanked: 224 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Africa
Originally Posted by gryedouge View Post
At the current exchange rate, the N9 is going for $ 716.56 in SA...I dont know if this is the 16GB version.
From previous tweets by NokiaRSA it seems like the operators only want the 16GB edition.

The listed price is a bit higher than the N8 launch price here (R5500, cash price is currently R4719), but lower than the current 'cash' price for the E7 (at R6500).

I'll probably have to pay in a bit for N9 if I stay on my current contract.

The Following User Says Thank You to buchanmilne For This Useful Post:
Posts: 74 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Why is no one willing to fire Elop? :-O

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYY WP!!!!
because of Windows 8, the ecosystem, MS Office 2012/365, xbox live ect - need more reasons?

I don't fancy Windows Phone 7 (maybe wp7.5) but I can see the logic in going for win 8 beacuase of the great posibillities - however, that doesnt change the fact I also fancy Meego/hamattan - a dualboot option would be sweet!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lindegaard For This Useful Post:
Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.
Crazy chickens ported to N9 via ovi store ten hours ago.
http://developer.qt.nokia.com/forums/viewthread/9991

Someone already trying to get in on the action. Dvd to N9 ripper.
http://best-softwaredownload.com/tag...dvd-converter/

Cape town stage set up.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/4111817...n/photostream/

Last edited by aironeous; 2011-09-23 at 10:47.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aironeous For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????