Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Hi byteninja2,

sorry for being frank.
If you do not know how to do the above, this tweak may not be for you (at this time). At least minmimum Linux/shell knowledge might be needed.
The boot.conf is located in folder etc/ in root of ubifs, so
/mnt/etc/boot.conf
and use vi to edit on device. Or extract from tar, edit on (Linux) PC and copy to device.

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

Last edited by peterleinchen; 2013-03-10 at 21:13. Reason: typo

Hey juiceme,

many many thanks for this release. I have been waiting for this since I read about multiboot for N9.
It was a hell of a ride. But now I got (almost) all working.
Nit is starting, Harmattan with all kernels.
Very very nice.

I only have problems with Nemo. But I think it is my own fault. I have installed Nemo on mmcblk0p7.
I modified boot.conf, fstab, init, select_os_animated.sh, kexec_load to match my needs (grepped for mmcblk and replaced p4 with p7). But still Nemo does not boot up.
Is there more to adapt?
Or any chance to find logs, what went wrong? ubifs/mnt/var/log/messages does not show anything, neither logs of Nemo partition.
--edit2
Just found that cmdline of Nemo also points to mmcblk0p4. Modified, but still to no avail. Somenone knows where p4 is also hardcoded on Nemo partition?

Again thanks for that piece of OSS.

P.S.: a request: is there a possibility to add a shell to the boot menu, maybe under info tab? So it is much easier/faster to recover from bad tweaking or log checking on device without need of USB/PC.

--edit
P.P.S.: I have another problem, but related to repartitioning. So a bit offtopic here, that is why I posted here my question regarding maximum number of devices/partitions on mmcblk0

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

Last edited by peterleinchen; 2013-03-10 at 22:16.

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
Hi byteninja2,

sorry for being frank.
If you do not know how to do the above, this tweak may not be for you (at this time). At least minmimum Linux/shell knowledge might be needed.
The boot.conf is located in folder etc/ in root of ubifs, so
/mnt/etc/boot.conf
and use vi to edit on device. Or extract from tar, edit on (Linux) PC and copy to device.
I got this far, and I have experience with Linux. But how do I use vi? And which tar, there are multiple tars for download.

Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
nano /mnt/etc/boot.conf

The Following User Says Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
/bin/sh: nano: not found
Now i get this with that command.

install Developer mode "Utilities"

btw, i agree with peterleinchen about your linux knowledge. you haven't it.

peterleinchen, have you created mnt/5 mnt/6 mnt/7 for partitions? have you modifyed init # Mount the partitions that got kernels on them section?

The Following User Says Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by coderus View Post
peterleinchen, have you created mnt/5 mnt/6 mnt/7 for partitions? have you modifyed init # Mount the partitions that got kernels on them section?
Yep, yep and yep for other sections, too. (will add my mods later)
Maybe I missed something, but after I found hard-coded "mmcblkp04" in /boot/cmdline of Nemo image, I believe the problem is with that?

Or maybe, as thinking while writing, I have added p7 to "kernels on them" section, maybe just replace? (i could not dig any deeper into code due to missing free time. It took me already two days to get here OK, with a lot of breaks )

i think you should look into nemo code and recompile some tools or hex edit it

Posts: 12 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Holland
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
Yep, yep and yep for other sections, too. (will add my mods later)
Maybe I missed something, but after I found hard-coded "mmcblkp04" in /boot/cmdline of Nemo image, I believe the problem is with that?

Or maybe, as thinking while writing, I have added p7 to "kernels on them" section, maybe just replace? (i could not dig any deeper into code due to missing free time. It took me already two days to get here OK, with a lot of breaks )
Hmm, not sure if p4 is required. Here are the manual installation information: https://wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Nemo/Installing

I think you know them already.? The only I can think of is that in the old days, you were not allowed to boot an OS from an extended / logical partition.

And you can have max 4 partitions if you don't use extended and logical partitions. So I get the feeling, it is not booting because the OS is placed on a logical partition......

But I don't have any information that can confirm this. It is just a thought.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Hey, for the people that have Nemo in non-standard location!!

As peterleinchen got it, I have indeed hardcoded the Nemo partition to be "/dev/mmcblkp04# in the menu selection logic!

When I made it I did not think that people would ever put Nemo somewhere else.

However, it is easy to correct:
Just edit your "/boot/menu/select_os_animated.sh", and find the function load_nemo()
On that function, replace the sed script "s/root\=\/dev\/mmcblk0p2/root\=\/dev\/mmcblk0p4/" with "s/root\=\/dev\/mmcblk0p2/root\=\/dev\/mmcblk0p7/", for example, if your Nemo is on partition#7

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post: