Notices

@oldpmaguy I think the easiest way is to grab the tarball, extract on your computer and then transfer the dictionary folder into the mstardict folder on your phone. That was easy for me. I'm pretty noob with linux but I read elsewhere that there are some steps before you can unpack tar.gz on the n900 itself but it can be done.

The Following User Says Thank You to fareastcoast For This Useful Post:
So the whole folder then, and its entire contents? And what about renaming the folder, is that a no-no too? Because I did variations on all that and had no luck.

Also, where exactly is this "mstardict" folder? Should we make it ourselves, or is it a floder that the app makes? I can't find it when browsing for it connected via USB.

Last edited by oldpmaguy; 2010-02-19 at 19:22.

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by oldpmaguy View Post
So the whole folder then, and its entire contents? And what about renaming the folder, is that a no-no too? Because I did variations on all that and had no luck.

Also, where exactly is this "mstardict" folder? Should we make it ourselves, or is it a floder that the app makes? I can't find it when browsing for it connected via USB.
You'll need to create the folder yourself, and I just copied over the extracted folder (with contents), and that's working fine here.

Ok, I've got it under control, as you said Rob1n, the folder must be made by the user and the files extracted exactly as they are - I used WinRAR on a Windows PC. (A redundant, identically-named folder had to be deleted by me, but the files remained unchanged).

Also, I found a very big page of links to sourceforge.net dict files here
http://reciteword.sourceforge.net/stardict/babylon.php
Much more up-to-date and comprehensive that the tiny set of links available at that Star-dict page.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to oldpmaguy For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by fareastcoast View Post
I have three dictionaries installed, Langdao CHN-ENG, Langdao ENG-CHN and Oxford Bilingual CHN<->ENG. It seems in the bilingual dictionary I can only look up English terms, if I type in Chinese words the defintions are always pulled from the Langdao CHN-ENG dictionary (I don't know if this was the same in QStarDict because I couldn't even input Chinese characters!). This may not be a problem with MStarDict, it could be the dictionary is not two-way, I don't know how to check.
Yeah, this Oxford dictionary is ENG-CHN according to the stardict sourceforge page, but the Chinese name says bilingual. My fault.

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ China
@fareastcoast and others:
Has anyone figured out a way to get a dictionary for English => Chinese WITH PINYIN in the translation??
none of the files on stardict's site include pinyin. it looks the only hope is CEDICT (MDBG) but its an entirely different format and I've been googling for the past 2 hours on how to convert to stardict format but I cant find a way. and FBreader opening up pdf's and txt dictionaries is just wayyyy too slow with a lot of crashes/freezes.

any clue? this would really help.

Originally Posted by HRZ View Post
@fareastcoast and others:
Has anyone figured out a way to get a dictionary for English => Chinese WITH PINYIN in the translation??
none of the files on stardict's site include pinyin. it looks the only hope is CEDICT (MDBG) but its an entirely different format and I've been googling for the past 2 hours on how to convert to stardict format but I cant find a way. and FBreader opening up pdf's and txt dictionaries is just wayyyy too slow with a lot of crashes/freezes.

any clue? this would really help.
You got me thinking about this, that I'd like this too.

Check out the "URX ZHEN Chinese-English dictionary" at the link I posted earlier in this thread, here
It has your pinyin, I believe.

And BTW, I'll tell ya, that site of links was quite a find for me. All those files are at Sourceforge, but I'll be damned if I can figure out a way to get to their parent page of links for any of them. Sourceforge is so damned inscrutable, always has been.

Ed.. Scratch that last comment, they're ALL here!
http://sourceforge.net/projects/stardict/files/

Ed. #2
Ahh, this is even better
http://sourceforge.net/projects/star...me&sortdir=asc

This is getting interesting. %^)

Last edited by oldpmaguy; 2010-02-25 at 03:46.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to oldpmaguy For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by oldpmaguy View Post
You got me thinking about this, that I'd like this too.

Check out the "URX ZHEN Chinese-English dictionary" at the link I posted earlier in this thread, here
It has your pinyin, I believe.

And BTW, I'll tell ya, that site of links was quite a find for me. All those files are at Sourceforge, but I'll be damned if I can figure out a way to get to their parent page of links for any of them. Sourceforge is so damned inscrutable, always has been.

Ed.. Scratch that last comment, they're ALL here!
http://sourceforge.net/projects/stardict/files/
I'm downloading it now. but isn't that a Chinese-Eng dictionary (as the title denotes)? I need the reverse since I'm living in China and studying Chinese.

nevermind. IT WORKS!!
character - pinyin - english translation! I can't believe it! and it's quite comprehensive as well, with many different explanations. thanks a lot buddy!

So where are we supposed to make the mstardict folder?

Tags
dictionary, mstardict