Notices

I am eagerly following this, I can't wait to see it working!

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 641 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by feydrutha View Post
And, what am I supposed to answer? do I paste in one of the calendar links from the google calendar site?
Sorry, I should have been more explicit. Here's what happens:

erminig will scan your list of google calendars (automatically) and for each calendar on Google it will ask you if you wish to have that calendar in sync. You have to answer yes or no (y/n). If you answer y(es), it will create a local calendar with the same name as the Google one, and will keep it in sync.

Then it will scan the list of local N900 calendars and will ask you if you wish to keep that local calendar in sync with Google. If you answer y(es), erminig will create a calendar on Google, with the same name as the one on your device, and will keep it in sync.

Does this support syncing from multiple calendars?

I use google calendar for 3 calendars, that are shared with 3 different groups of people (read-write) by sharing a google account and password.
Yes, support for syncing multiple calendars is supported (and is a big plus compared to Mail for Exchange, or nuevasync)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lorelei For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lorelei View Post
Sorry, I should have been more explicit. Here's what happens:

erminig will scan your list of google calendars (automatically) and for each calendar on Google it will ask you if you wish to have that calendar in sync. You have to answer yes or no (y/n). If you answer y(es)
Sounds like a smart and user-friendly way to do it.

However, how does it know what "my" calendars are? as I was mentioning, I have 3 different google accounts that I use to share stuff with people. Where do I configure these? In the contacts application?

Originally Posted by feydrutha View Post
However, how does it know what "my" calendars are? as I was mentioning, I have 3 different google accounts that I use to share stuff with people. Where do I configure these? In the contacts application?
Oh, ok I get it now. I misunderstood your question.

for the moment (since no GUI is available), you have to edit a config file to specify your username/password. erminig will then fetch the calendars associated with that username. It is however not possible (yet) to specify multiple username/passwords in order to fetch multiple calendars spread on multiple account.

I have to admit that I never considered this possibility, but this is a great suggestion for an enhancement of erminig.

I hope that this time I understood correctly

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lorelei For This Useful Post:
Hi Lorelei,

I just tested your tool. This is what I was waiting for - thanks for programming!

I found some issues:
- I have 7 local cals. Erminig does not recognize one of them (name: privat), so I can not sync this cal. I have no idea what so special about this one cal, but this cal I also can not rename ;-)
- Erminig crashed on a cal having an umlaut (Geschäft) in the title (I'm in austria). Renamed to "Geschaeft" to work around this problem, it's a minor issue.
- I looked at the python script and saw that there is no recognition if a local calendar is already on google. Looks like a complicated thing keeping tracking of all the IDs, so it's a "nice-to-have" thing.
- A big problem is that after Erminig created 5 cals on google, three of them had wrong titles - they had the google-id as the title (the looooong string with groop.calendar.google.com at the end). Erminig could sync all the events of these cals, however it's hard to recognize the real title of these calcs in Google now. After correcting the titles in google, Erminig could not sync with them anymore. A renaming back to the google-ids as titles did not help. The only way to get Erminig to work again is to delete Erminig's database. At the moment is this the biggest problem for me - any ideas?

It's a great start - thanks again. For the issues: I'd be happy to help in debugging...

Petibub

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to petibub For This Useful Post:
i much prefer the gpe calendar over the nokia implementation. the nokia calendar doesn't seem to have the same flexibility or ease of use. i look forward to having erminig working on the n900 as well as it does on my n800. moving the calendar from the n800 to the n900 by working through google was a hassle. i am waiting for an update to m4e so i can sync the nokia calendar with google while i wait for erminig. once i have the gpe calendar synced and working on the n900 i can decide what i want to do about keeping the n800. i love the n900.

Petibub:

thank you for testing Erminig-NG! I appreciate!
Please find below my comments on the bugs you encountered so far:

- I have 7 local cals. Erminig does not recognize one of them (name: privat), so I can not sync this cal. I have no idea what so special about this one cal, but this cal I also can not rename ;-)
I suspect that this is a calendar created by Mail for Exchange. I had the same issue with a calendar called "N900" on my device. I'm also unable to delete it, and I'm a bit at a loss about why it doesn't appear in the database. With the upcoming changes I'm implementing, this problem may go away.
- Erminig crashed on a cal having an umlaut (Geschäft) in the title (I'm in austria). Renamed to "Geschaeft" to work around this problem, it's a minor issue.
Bug fixed, thanks. I was able to reproduce it locally. Ahem...no, it looks like it has not been fixed. I have to find another workaround. I won't spend too much time on it, since the problem is specific to using the terminal for user-interaction, which I plan to remove when the GUI is done.
In the meantime I will simply display a dialog box with the question.
- I looked at the python script and saw that there is no recognition if a local calendar is already on google. Looks like a complicated thing keeping tracking of all the IDs, so it's a "nice-to-have" thing.
That's correct. In the previous version of Erminig the approach was a bit different: you had to have a local calendar and a google calendar and then you set up manually the relationship. In Erminig-NG new calendars are created on both sides.

- A big problem is that after Erminig created 5 cals on google, three of them had wrong titles - they had the google-id as the title (the looooong string with groop.calendar.google.com at the end). Erminig could sync all the events of these cals, however it's hard to recognize the real title of these calcs in Google now. After correcting the titles in google, Erminig could not sync with them anymore. A renaming back to the google-ids as titles did not help. The only way to get Erminig to work again is to delete Erminig's database. At the moment is this the biggest problem for me - any ideas?
I got hit by the very same problem while debugging the umlaut issue. I think that they are somewhat related (but I don't understand why), but I have to do some more testing and I'll get back to you with more information!

thanks again for the bug reports!

Last edited by lorelei; 2010-01-14 at 21:57.

The Following User Says Thank You to lorelei For This Useful Post:
I suspect that this is a calendar created by Mail for Exchange. I had the same issue with a calendar called "N900" on my device. I'm also unable to delete it, and I'm a bit at a loss about why it doesn't appear in the database. With the upcoming changes I'm implementing, this problem may go away.
I found the reason: the calendar "cal_ti_calendar_private" is called "Privat" by the GUI. So, syncing the "cal_ti_calendar_private" I have my "Privat" on google too.

I got hit by the very same problem while debugging the umlaut issue. I think that they are somewhat related (but I don't understand why), but I have to do some more testing and I'll get back to you with more information!
In the meantime I found that some other people have this problem with Google API, not only on python but also JAVA. Also, while testing I also could reproduce this bug using google web interface :-) I could not find any pattern (not with web interface nor with gd_client.InsertCalendar() from your script. At the end, I run this
Code:
feed = gd_client.GetAllCalendarsFeed()
for i,cal in enumerate(feed.entry):
  print '\t%s. %s %s' % (i, cal.title.text, cal.id.text)
just after gd_client.InsertCalendar() (your line 122) and sometimes one of the cals had the id as the title! So I think that this is some timing issue on google's side. Maybe an .UpdateCalendar() just after .InsertCalendar() would help?

However, we are not lost because I could rename the wrong-title cals using google web interface but I had to do it just after using "--sync-calendars" and before the first real syncing. Otherwise something went wrong with the query (l. 262) because
Code:
feed = gd_client.CalendarQuery(query)
resulted in an empty feed regardless the changes I did in the cal.

I added some additional "print"s to get more infos during syncing and I will use it in the next few days, let's see what happens :-)

Thanks again,
Petibub

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to petibub For This Useful Post:
If someone is tired of typing (like me): here is the code for an application icon which calls erminig:

Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Version=0.1
Type=Application
Terminal=true
Name=Erminig2
Exec=/usr/bin/osso-xterm 'python /home/user/XXX/erminig-ng/erminig-ng.py'
Icon=
X-Window-Icon=
X-HildonDesk-ShowInToolbar=true
X-Osso-Type=application/x-executable
Replace the XXX by your path, save the file in /usr/share/applications/hildon/ and go to the application manager to start erminig.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to petibub For This Useful Post:
OK, to summarize the issues that petibub reported:

- calendar named "Privat", or "Private" in the English version of Maemo: to sync that one, you have to accept to sync the calendar named "cal_ti_calendar_private"

- calendars with umlauts or any other diacritic, or any other non-ascii symbol: now Erminig won't crash. It will instead display the question about syncing a calendar in a UI dialog, to avoid problems with the terminal

- recognition of calendars already in google: no fix for the moment. But this is not really a bug, more a convenience. Can be "fixed" easily only once the GUI is done.

- calendars shown with IDs instead of title: according to petibub (thank you very much for the research on that bug!) the problem looks to be on Google's side and not on erminig's. As a workaround (which I'm not sure that it is effective, but it won't do any harm), a newly created calendar is immediately updated with its real name (even if it is already correct). This may help.

----------------

Upcoming version of Erminig-NG will contain the fixes shown above, plus a big change: instead of accessing directly the calendar database, I will use the published calendar API, shis is the correct way of interacting with the Calendar DB.

SInce there's no python binding to access CCalendar DB, I will write a C++ wrapper library that will be used by Erminig-NG to access easily the Calendaring API. This should be rather straightforward (famous last words), and I hope to get that new version out by this Sunday.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lorelei For This Useful Post:

Tags
erminig, erminig-ng, ernie nig, google calendar, google sync, synchronization