Posts: 443 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Grenoble, France
Originally Posted by jakibaki View Post
Flashing the blobs to the cache-partition is only the first step of "the linux way". After that you boot into recovery-mode and copy the blobs from the cache to the oem partition (which is not writable from fastboot without the emma-update but writable in recovery mode) and erase the cache partition again.

The instructions at the top of the first page skip the flashing to cache step and directly copy the blobs from the old blob-location to the oem partition.
ok, that's perfectly clear now !!!! Thanks a lot

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mousse04 For This Useful Post:
I flashed my Xperia X (F5121) at the weekend and I´m enthused.

After the Blog-posts "Introducing Sailfish X" and the "New Flashing-tool"
I was a bit dissapointed first and had no high expectations.

But what I see already in the community-build is awesome and I use it as my daily driver.
Great thanks to m4r0v3r for the Image.

There is only one little thing I miss in this Sailfish-Image, but for me its very important
namely the loading of Kernel modules, which seems to be unsupported.
Missing directory: /proc/modules and /lib/modules/3.10.84-g005c3d7/kernel.
So I can't get mount.cifs running.

Is it because of community-build or do I have to do it in another way?
Maybe the support of loading kernel modules will have to be activated before building Sailfish image?

Up to now, here is my experience with the Image:

- Bluetooth: Pairing my Xperia with my linux-pc and with my car (no rSAP) works out of the box. No problems detected.

- GPS: seems to work. (Tried it only with App "GPSInfo" from JollaStore).

- SD-Card Automount: Not out of the box. But after copying the related files from sd-utils (https://git.merproject.org/mer-core/...ls/tree/master)
to the Xperia, enabling the service and restarting udev it works now like on my Jolla1.

- Wake-on doubletap: Works after installing mce-tools, (mcetool --set-doubletap-mode=show-unlock-screen, mcetool -i disabled, mcetool -z always)

- VPN: Works for me. The connection to my own openvpn-server is stable. But the GUI needs a bit adjustment:
If you have a Password-protected key you must create a plain-text file with the password in it and link to it in the GUI-VPN-advanced config.
IMHO it is not good to have the key-password in plain-text on a mobile device. Even if you chmod it to 600. Than I can also leave the password out.
To replace the standard nameserver with the vpn-nameserver, you must edit the connman.service to start connman with the --nodnsproxy option and add the nameserver in the vpn-config with connmanctl in terminal. (No settings-option in the GUI).

- Browser: Almost no problems. The only wrong view I have is on a special site of my iobroker-server. Maybe some problems with javascript. Not so bad, webcat can do it.

- Camera: Only better than Jolla1 but OK for me.

- Videorecording: doesn't work.

- Compass: Doesn't seem to work. (Tried it only with App "GPSInfo" from JollaStore).

Altogether the Image seems stable. Additionally, no connection issues occur since the weekend (knock on wood), which is especially important for me with regard to cellphone connection.

With my Jolla1 I had often connection issues. Regularly, I had to restart ofono once a day.

It's not so clear for me why the community build can be flashed directly after unlocking phone while official build require us to first flash Android using EMMA...

What does EMMA's Android add to the device?
Isn't it the stock image we already have when buying Xperia?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lucavs For This Useful Post:
Posts: 120 | Thanked: 843 times | Joined on Jul 2015 @ Berlin, Germany
Originally Posted by lucavs View Post
It's not so clear for me why the community build can be flashed directly after unlocking phone while official build require us to first flash Android using EMMA...

What does EMMA's Android add to the device?
Isn't it the stock image we already have when buying Xperia?
In the old versions the blob-partition is not writable via fastboot, that update fixes that.

I can confirm though that flashing the update with the unofficial flashtool also works fine for unlocking that partition so that's a much cleaner way then the other ones I described

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jakibaki For This Useful Post:
But starting from unlocked factory image, I didn't use flashtool to install community build; it only required me to install adb and fastboot.
Why should I need flashtool/EMMA for official sailfish?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lucavs For This Useful Post:
Posts: 443 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Grenoble, France
But starting from unlocked factory image, I didn't use flashtool to install community build; it only required me to install adb and fastboot.
Why should I need flashtool/EMMA for official sailfish?
Because you need to create a special partition for blobs now (request by Sony). But using flashtool and the latest image from sony, works fine apparently . Look here :

https://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?...postcount=1372

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mousse04 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mousse04 View Post
Because you need to create a special partition for blobs now (request by Sony). But using flashtool and the latest image from sony, works fine apparently . Look here :

https://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?...postcount=1372
So flashing using EMMA/flashtool create that partition while installing community build doesn't require that special partition?
Am I right?

Posts: 120 | Thanked: 843 times | Joined on Jul 2015 @ Berlin, Germany
So flashing using EMMA/flashtool create that partition while installing community build doesn't require that special partition?
Am I right?
The next version of the community builds will also require the blobs to be inside that partition (unless the person who maintains them decides to change that).

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jakibaki For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jakibaki View Post
The next version of the community builds will also require the blobs to be inside that partition (unless the person who maintains them decides to change that).
Ok thanks,
now it's more clear.

Do you think after updating Sony image (using Emma or unofficial flashtool) we could install (official or community) Sailfish X simply using adb/fastboot ?

EDIT:
You answered my question there:
https://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?...postcount=1377

Last edited by lucavs; 2017-10-05 at 07:11.

After upgrading to 2.1.2.3 my GPS stopped working. After a short debug session, I noticed that the geoclue-hybris is not launching. It fails to launch because of this:
/usr/libexec/geoclue-hybris: symbol lookup error: /usr/libexec/geoclue-hybris: undefined symbol: _ZN14NetworkService9connectedEv

Which library should provide the symbol mentioned above? I wonder if I have a wrong version of some package?

I can work around the problem by disabling the Mozilla-thingys in positioning settings.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jsl For This Useful Post: