Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
I don't think this is a good example
Because it does not fit your paradigm?

Take the N900 for comparison - a reasonably open device running Linux with a physical keyboard that you can actually use to call, send SMS messages and use mobile data on a daily basis. As a result there is still an active community many years after Nokia dropped any official support.
Indeed. And the progress has ground to a halt. There has not been an update for well over two years.

Even if we focus on the glory era when there was active development, It is still the odd one out amongst all other similar projects that are not backed by any commercial enterprise. All credit goes to Nokia for setting the initial conditions just right (the choice of Debian as a base, reasonably close to mainstream with not too many deviations, actively supporting the community - all the things that Jolla worked so hard to move away from).

Take projects closer to home. Like for example MER (dead) or even Sailfish itself (only progressing because of Jolla's own contribution, hardly anything worth mentioning from the so called "community"). Even your own project suffers. Don't get me wrong, it is a great project and I have full respect for you but I hope that even you admit that the progress would be much faster if you could focus on modRana full time at full pay and not on evenings and weekends as a hobby. And that is just an application, not a full blown OS.

I am sorry but the arguments stands. An OS support in general, and Sailfish in particular, depends on its life support on commercial backing. Sailfish without Jolla is dead.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
I have to agree with @pichlo here; it seems that a mobile device oriented OS development needs to have commercial backing.

There is just not enough interest in volunteers to get much momentum going on so there needs to be some form of commercial interest in driving it forward.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Any OS development aiming for wider adoption needs commercial backing. It's not one-off kind of project but ongoing development effort to keep it functioning, patched and relevant, which means that there has to be fair amount of commitment in long term to keep it running. If such development is depending on voluntary contribution that someone does in his spare time, there are not many devs that will do it for long periods of time as one has to fund his/her living in the real world. Some may also have real life (like family) that needs attention, so commercial backing of some kind is really necessary to have at least core functions in stable development (as it's not efficient if devs keep changing all the time).

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JulmaHerra For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Don't get me wrong, it is a great project and I have full respect for you but I hope that even you admit that the progress would be much faster if you could focus on modRana full time at full pay and not on evenings and weekends as a hobby.
Actually - that depends how I would be paid for working on modRana. Because if it was a commercial application, I would have to do compromises (closed code, limiting access only to paid customers, intentionally cripling functionality in non paid version, etc.) that would hurt modRana as a project.

I think there are parallels to Sailfish OS development as well (all the Jolla developed closed source components for example).

So I'm actually fine to be paid for working on something else (which is actually also open source, written in Python & running on Linux ) so that I can work on modRana the way I want to, not the way commercial development would dictate.

Of course I guess I would not mind if someone paid me to work on modRana the way I do it now (donations welcome! ;-) ).

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
Actually - that depends how I would be paid for working on modRana. Because if it was a commercial application, I would have to do compromises (closed code, limiting access only to paid customers, intentionally cripling functionality in non paid version, etc.) that would hurt modRana as a project.
I believe you are talking about the distinction between "open" and "closed", not between "commercial" and "voluntary". There are commercial open projects just as well as there are voluntary or hobbyist closed ones. Those two things are not necessarily connected, although I agree with you that they often are, if indirectly.

We could talk about it for ages (again!) but in my experience commercial projects beat hobbyist any time and in pretty much every aspect: functionality, usability, code quality, stability, longevity... all except ideology . Open or not plays a secondary role.

BTW, I am yet to be convinced that modRana would really suffer the way you describe. Maybe your relationship to it would suffer but not necessarily the product itself. You are the only contributor at the moment, despite it being open, so openness has not benefited it in any way other than giving you a good feeling. But that is digressing even more into OT.

Of course I guess I would not mind if someone paid me to work on modRana the way I do it now (donations welcome! ;-) ).
Thank you reminding me. It has been years since I last contributed, mostly because I do not use modRana the way I used to. I sent you a small contribution now. Tiny in absolute terms but that is about as much as I can afford.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 248 | Thanked: 1,142 times | Joined on Dec 2014 @ Earth
Originally Posted by ka9yhd View Post
I spoke with Chen and there is a national holiday in China until October 8th. So we should see some update after October 8th.
So, chen, any news on this front ?
Are some things starting to move for the Youyota Tablet ?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DrYak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Thank you reminding me. It has been years since I last contributed, mostly because I do not use modRana the way I used to. I sent you a small contribution now. Tiny in absolute terms but that is about as much as I can afford.
Still appreciated, thanks!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 248 | Thanked: 1,142 times | Joined on Dec 2014 @ Earth
PING!

Any news on the tablet front ?

Currently stalled ? Or first steps of the 3000 unit getting in motion ? (Parts ordering ?)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DrYak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Originally Posted by DrYak View Post
Any news on the tablet front ?
Looks like Chen is pretty busy with the keyboard mod at the moment.

Edit: some nice new photos (of the keyboard mod) on twitter too:

https://twitter.com/LivermoriumLtd

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
Looks like Chen is pretty busy with the keyboard mod at the moment.

Edit: some nice new photos (of the keyboard mod) on twitter too:

https://twitter.com/LivermoriumLtd
Thanks for it. Yes it's absolutely correct. Getting really busy to finalise Keyboard Mod. (And getting excited)

Checked with Michael today most components have been delivered. Will push for an update tomorrow and better clearer pictures.

Attached is the stock of 7.85 inch LCD from LG, it's taken by the warehouse guy. Michael team will retake clearer pics tomorrow.
Attached Images

The Following 47 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla tablet, sailfish os