OK, I know that's not stereo, but..

What I'm looking for is to be able to listen to music/whatever, but also be able to hear the real world.

I was thinking of a single earbud, you know, like those little ones we used to get with our A.M. Radios? (Yeah, I remember A.M..)

Only, better quality. :-)

I know, I could just get a regular set and cut off one side, but I'm only hearing one channel. I could wire them together, but I was wondering if there is something out there that is premade. :-) I'm saving my hardware hacking time for a USB injector. :-)

I think I have a phone headset/mic unit that might work, I'll have to dig it up. But I'm pretty sure it's a smaller jack, and I don't know if it'll convert stereo to one channel.

Not a big deal, just wondering.

Thanx,

desiv

It would definitely be higher tech than what you need, but how about a Bluetooth headset? It's made for one ear (AFAIK it mixes both channels to one) and it wireless to boot!

It's a possibility...
But I thought there were issues with those on the 770.
Does that work now? I tried searching, but it seemed a bit vague as to whether or not it will work on the 770, with or without ITOS2007HE.
Currently, I am running ITOS2006.
Of course, there are the ones that plug into the headphone jack that might work.. But as you said, maybe a bit more high tech that I need.

From my experience music over a bluetooth headset sounds like crap.

SEARCH! It's probably already been answered.

Originally Posted by desiv View Post

What I'm looking for is to be able to listen to music/whatever, but also be able to hear the real world.

I was thinking of a single earbud, you know, like those little ones we used to get with our A.M. Radios? (Yeah, I remember A.M..)

Only, better quality. :-)

I know, I could just get a regular set and cut off one side, but I'm only hearing one channel. I could wire them together, but I was wondering if there is something out there that is premade. :-) I'm saving my hardware hacking time for a USB injector. :-)

I think I have a phone headset/mic unit that might work, I'll have to dig it up. But I'm pretty sure it's a smaller jack, and I don't know if it'll convert stereo to one channel.

Not a big deal, just wondering.

Thanx,

desiv
if you are in the us try radio shack they have what you want- it'll cost less than 5usd

I've seen the mono ones at Radio Shack (the white ones that look like they came with the old AM radios), but haven't noticed the dual channel in one earbud ones. (Or haven't known that they did that when I saw them.. :-)

I'll stop by.

desiv

Originally Posted by desiv View Post

Do you want Mic as well? If you look at the Nokia provided earbud you see:

Code:
0=|==|==|==={{{{    -- Headphone Plug
L   R  M Gnd        -- N800 jack
If you plug in a Mono earplug you'd have
Code:
0=|========={{{{    -- Headphone Plug
L   R  M Gnd        -- N800 jack
The right signal and microphone would all be grounded. Thus, with a Mono connector, you'd be left with left channel only. However, I think the N800 could detect that the right channel is grounded and do software mixing on the left channel. I know some devices do this, but I don't know enough about audio to know if that's the standard behavior.

If you want to ensure the audio is mixed, you'd have to use a 3 or 4 conductor jack and then splice the L and R signal wires together. Radio Shack's 274-374 adapter does that for you so you don't need to cut wires. You can then use a mono earplug or take a stereo earplug and lop off the right speaker.

Last edited by bobpaul; 2007-08-14 at 01:17.

OK, I have a mono headset here and plugged in the mono headset jack (it has a seperate plug for the mic).
It sounded like both channeld, so I should be good if I can find a decent mono earphone.
The 800 supports a mic? I have a 770, and don't think it does, other than the built in. I'll have to check the schematic though.
Thanx,
desiv

The Following User Says Thank You to desiv For This Useful Post: