Originally Posted by ThomasAH View Post
Pinebook Pro ... graphics hardware acceleration ... are working.
Slightly OT, but if I may:
Does this include video playback?
Because on the Pinebook (not pro) that was a giant pain...
(not even sure the Pro uses a different SOC?)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nonsuch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
According to specs, there's nothing in common between Pinebook and the Pro. In the reviews I've seen, 1080p 60 fps Youtube videos are working okay. This one even runs Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney Plus and some videos from a card:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqmFDCZcxM0

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Seems in the course of several days, I'm getting tracking numbers for PinePhone, Pro1 and Cosmo... Yay!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nonsuch View Post
Slightly OT, but if I may:
Does this include video playback?
Because on the Pinebook (not pro) that was a giant pain...
Manjaro KDE on the Pinebook Pro does include hardware video playback I haven't tested other OS images though. No need, since Manjaro works so well!

(not even sure the Pro uses a different SOC?)
Yeah, Pinebook Pro has a different SOC, the RK3399 (same as the RockPro64 SBC). The Pinebook has a Allwinner A64, (same as the PineA64 SBC) which is a *lot* slower.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ThomasAH For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
Seems in the course of several days, I'm getting tracking numbers for PinePhone, Pro1 and Cosmo... Yay!
Awesome Curious what your experience with the different devices will be, and which you will be using most!

Pine is planning to make a keyboard-addon for the PinePhone as well, by the way: https://www.pine64.org/2019/12/05/de...-you-for-2019/ - search for the word 'psion'. Very cool!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ThomasAH For This Useful Post:
Manjaro KDE on the Pinebook Pro does include hardware video playback I haven't tested other OS images though. No need, since Manjaro works so well!
Thanks for confirming.
I guess that includes video codecs like x264 and x265?

That was a major point of discontent for me with the Pinebook; apparently hardware accelarated playback was possible (to some extent), but there was no functioning Linux driver for it.
So watching any kind of video (youtube or local files) was somewhere between impossible and buggy.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nonsuch For This Useful Post:
Thanks for confirming.
I guess that includes video codecs like x264 and x265?

That was a major point of discontent for me with the Pinebook; apparently hardware accelarated playback was possible (to some extent), but there was no functioning Linux driver for it.
So watching any kind of video (youtube or local files) was somewhere between impossible and buggy.
I'm not actually sure if x264 and x265 are supported, I'd have to test specifically However I can say that the video's I've tried play back nicely, both local video files and Youtube video's (tested in Firefox). Youtube videos are h264 right? So I guess at least x264 is supported.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ThomasAH For This Useful Post:
Posts: 105 | Thanked: 444 times | Joined on Jul 2013 @ Katowice, PL
the trackpad is not so good.
I have no P64 devices (yet), but I eagerly follow the news; I remember there were trackpad firmware updates recently and I've seen reports of great improvement. Is your opinion pre- or post-update?

Wysłane z mojego LG-V490 przy użyciu Tapatalka

The Following User Says Thank You to briest For This Useful Post:
Posts: 562 | Thanked: 1,732 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ NYC
Hey Guys did you see the latest pinephone news, they are sharing images of the possible prototype of the keyboard attachment (that has a battery in it too)!

While not exactly how I imagine it, still excited for the possibilities.

https://tuxphones.com/pinephone-cove...00mah-battery/

x

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to xman For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by xman View Post
Hey Guys did you see the latest pinephone news, they are sharing images of the possible prototype of the keyboard attachment (that has a battery in it too)!

While not exactly how I imagine it, still excited for the possibilities.

https://tuxphones.com/content/images...ttery.jpg3.jpg

https://tuxphones.com/pinephone-cove...00mah-battery/

x
How will it supply power to the phone? A usb port cable?

It's probably the only low-budget way they can produce a phone with a keyboard, but it is not going to have the haptics of a droid4 which is balanced in the hands with a light slider screen.

The Following User Says Thank You to clort For This Useful Post: