Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Thx, that list is a good start. But its not enough. We need more mobile vendors.
It's also an incomplete list, just some of the initial supporters. As Gen Antilles said, "Fujitsu, Qualcomm, Samsung and others were in the room..." Those 3 major players weren't even on that list of initial supporters I linked.

Part of success is showing 'this is how it will work' instead of 'this is why it will fail'. Much easier to complain and point out weaknesses than to stay positive and work to your strengths. That's part of why more businesses fail than succeed.

When I got one of the first G1s, I'd show it to people and they'd be curious because of the Google thing, but then disappointed and put off by how little it could actually do and the total lack of apps. Android had one phone with 3G that worked on one carrier, T-Mobile (in the US). But I knew Android would be a monster.

With the N900 it's kinda the same thing all over, but Maemo/MeeGo is already much more mature and in a better position now than Android was then. It's a more powerful, more open OS on better hardware and with much broader manufacturer support already. And again I have a very good feeling about where MeeGo will be in a couple of years.
Registered Linux user #266531.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crashdamage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 762 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki
There's a lot that's been said in this thread that I can't really comment, as I would describe myself as an advanced end-user if even that.

I was, however impressed by that very open and honest presentation by Jaaksi. I also liked the fact that the user experience is now a top priority. I think this is about the only area in which the N900 is lacking at the moment.

I was quite pleased by the note at the very end about the amount of people working on the 'project' (I believe he said a thousand people).

One conserning issue however is that Nokia's in a hurry with MeeGo, and I'd really like to see Nokia caught-up already. Isn't it over a year since Nokia's catching up began?

All that said, I'm really eager to see MeeGo and very content with my N900.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cjp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Crashdamage;
I think MeeGo would be a great mobile OS in 3years time. But not until all the bugs are found and fixed in the first few years. Maemo on the other hand far more mature but lack of official support and third party. 99% of the apps for the current Maemo5 are provided by the community, all the bugs are found by the community. But are we going to go there again for MeeGO? I'll be holding off the update to MeeGo until Nokia officially supporting it to N900.

I am totally upset to see a great device (N900) slowly becoming less and less support from Nokia. love my N900...

No love for MeeGo yet from me after knowing Nokia won't fully supporting it yet. But hope the future it will. Hope Nokia learn how important this community to their future sucess and be thankful.

One question is: will meego be as powerful and capable like Maemo5 in term of development of apps without using QT?

Last edited by maxximuscool; 2010-04-25 at 12:22.

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by maxximuscool View Post
Well you already is a part of it. The removed lines was just a way to say that Nokia is somewhat useless in providing their customers with respect and other factors. I am sure that there are plenty of people really disappointed in Nokia's move recently. i've been a long term Nokia user since the first 3G Nokia arrived on the market and have owned 4 generation N-series. I got to say that Nokia is losing grib right now.

Word can mean different things in different country of your origin. But yes the community is great though some are really is a totally Nokian fan! and blindly see only just good things Nokia did but not the bad one. I don't meant to offending any body here. I Just want a part of the free speech society. Nothing is perfect in the world, not to mention in this forum! Neither me or you is perfect. We all sharing the same air that we breathe. But we are different in many single ways.

You have the right to not be a part of the community. The community wasn't formed by one person.. It is a bunch of people from all different background just like Linux, Windows and Mac.

Sorry i've gone off the topic forgive me.
Your so right here and i just dont understand why Benny said what he said, he must have misunderstood you but i could clearly see where your coming from AND agree with you.
My personal thoughts are NOKIA have screwed up BIG BIG time here and are continuing to dig a very deep hole for themselves in many ways.
To add insult to injury take a look at the, Problems with N900 USB port becoming broken / loose and resulting warranty & repair issues and you will see just how Nokia are treating people knowing full well they screwed up the design of the usb port on the N900.
Time will tell but for now i have no choice but to keep hold of my N900 (thank god i dont need a stupid so called Nokia engineer to repair MY N900) and see how it goes with this Meego etc etc.
All for what? greed and the need to be number 1 in the world.

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
abill_uk,
yes all we can do now is hope that Nokia won't be hastely moving too quickly and forgetting N900 while just want to be No.1 and be filthy rich with unhappy people money.

thank god my UsB still not broken off. Stupid flaws in the design had an effect on people already. Not to mention they did not soldered the USB OTG to the usb port. Because they do not know how to get it to work. It was intentionally left out because of they didn't have time to put things together and rush to be No.1

The Following User Says Thank You to maxximuscool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
I think MeeGo would be a great mobile OS in 3years time.
It will take far less than 3 years to be a good OS, maybe a year. It will probably take 3 years more or less for MeeGo to make a significant impact in terms of market share.

But not until all the bugs are found and fixed in the first few years.
All the bugs will never be fixed. Have you ever seen a sizable piece of software that had all bugs fixed? Bug-chasing is a never-ending process.

I'll be holding off the update to MeeGo until Nokia officially supporting it to N900.
There may never be - probably won't be - an 'official' end-user-ready release of MeeGo for the N900. I imagine there probably will be a community-backed release. MeeGo on the N900 doesn't matter much as far as the usefulness of the N900 is concerned.

I am totally upset to see a great device (N900) slowly becoming less and less support from Nokia.
I think Nokia has shown and continues to show plenty of support for the N900. Probably will for another 1-2 years. That's long enough.

Hope Nokia learn how important this community to their future sucess and be thankful.
I think they have shown they are very aware of the community. But it remains to be seen if they follow through like they should. The suits upstairs and bean counters at large companies have a way of bungling that kinda public relations stuff.

One question is: will meego be as powerful and capable like Maemo5 in term of development of apps without using QT?
??? Does that matter? MeeGo will support Qt, as well as GTK, etc.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Crashdamage For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Crashdamage View Post
It will take far less than 3 years to be a good OS, maybe a year. It will probably take 3 years more or less for MeeGo to make a significant impact in terms of market share.

All the bugs will never be fixed. Have you ever seen a sizable piece of software that had all bugs fixed? Bug-chasing is a never-ending process.

There may never be - probably won't be - an 'official' end-user-ready release of MeeGo for the N900. I imagine there probably will be a community-backed release. MeeGo on the N900 doesn't matter much as far as the usefulness of the N900 is concerned.

I think Nokia has shown and continues to show plenty of support for the N900. Probably will for another 1-2 years. That's long enough.

I think they have shown they are very aware of the community. But it remains to be seen if they follow through like they should. The suits upstairs and bean counters at large companies have a way of bungling that kinda public relations stuff.

??? Does that matter? MeeGo will support Qt, as well as GTK, etc.
Oh i want you to be sooooo right here !!! but Nokia are not exactly making people believe in them after the N900 and the no public statements.
MASSIVE problems right now and as much as the community plays a hell of a big part for end user NOKIA is not exactly playing fair and without NOKIA'S help here i am afraid to say the community will die a death sadly as many people are now pissed with Nokia.
So i repeat myself here I HOPE YOUR RIGHT in what your saying.

Posts: 237 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Powell, OH
Crashdamage;
I think MeeGo would be a great mobile OS in 3years time. But not until all the bugs are found and fixed in the first few years. Maemo on the other hand far more mature but lack of official support and third party. 99% of the apps for the current Maemo5 are provided by the community, all the bugs are found by the community. But are we going to go there again for MeeGO? I'll be holding off the update to MeeGo until Nokia officially supporting it to N900.

I am totally upset to see a great device (N900) slowly becoming less and less support from Nokia. love my N900...

No love for MeeGo yet from me after knowing Nokia won't fully supporting it yet. But hope the future it will. Hope Nokia learn how important this community to their future sucess and be thankful.

MeeGo is not a new OS just a new distribution of Linux. A lot of the pieces have been tested for years on the desktop and internet tablets. That is one on the benefits of Maemo/MeeGo than Android. The pieces that will be new are the desktop and apps. And we know Nokia has been working on the QT versions for awhile.

The Following User Says Thank You to theflew For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by theflew View Post
MeeGo is not a new OS just a new distribution of Linux. A lot of the pieces have been tested for years on the desktop and internet tablets. That is one on the benefits of Maemo/MeeGo than Android. The pieces that will be new are the desktop and apps. And we know Nokia has been working on the QT versions for awhile.
You need to read this because your not quite telling it the way it is lol.

http://thesymbianblog.com/2010/02/15/what-is-meego/

and this,

http://www.linux-netbook.com/video/what-is-meego

it IS indeed a NEW OS which is Linux based.

Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
Nokia are not exactly making people believe in them after the N900 and the no public statements.
They have made many public statements and are trying to keep people informed as much as possible:
http://wiki.maemo.org/What_can_we_re...or_my_N900_.3F

MASSIVE problems right now...
What massive problems? Financially Nokia is fine. The MeeGo project is drawing a lot of early support. The N900 is more successful than expected. So where are things so dire?

...and as much as the community plays a hell of a big part for end user NOKIA is not exactly playing fair..
How so? What is unfair? Lack of info? The link I gave above gives lots of official info. There's more available elsewhere, that's just one source.

...and without NOKIA'S help here i am afraid to say the community will die a death sadly as many people are now pissed with Nokia.
If they're pissed it's because they're not paying attention to what is actually happening.

The N900 and Maemo are not being forgotten by Nokia, they are both still fully supported. More updates are coming. The N900 has been announced as the reference ARM platform for MeeGo development.

The community is definitely not on life support. For example, there are extensive discussions going on in the fledgling MeeGo community about how to get both the Moblin and Maemo communities productively and successfully involved. The community issue is being considered in a thorough, thoughtful way by community members and official representatives of involved companies such as Quim Gil, Dawn Foster, texrat, and many, many others.

You should check into stuff more before posting uninformed FUD based only on the fact that for some unclear reason you're not happy.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Crashdamage For This Useful Post: