Posts: 415 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Leeds UK
Originally Posted by dansus View Post
I use Tmobile WebnWalk Plus and get 3GB for use with everything except voip.

Solo 20 has 600mins, unlimited texts and 1GB. Then you can upgrade to WnW Plus (3GB) and get the freedom to stream stuff, p2p and tether.

Personally i dont use many minutes, so i use a low tarrif sim and will upgrade to WnW Max (10GB) when the N900 is out.
And on the WnW Max looks like you can use Voip too, not that I expect to a lot, but it would be nice to have the option

Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
Have a look at the data plans entry on Maemo wiki
We need a similar page for pre-paid sims. I visit various european countries for a few days at a time and roaming data charges are ridiculous. I tried to find about pre-paid sims with 3G data, but can hardly find this information.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by Matan View Post
We need a similar page for pre-paid sims. I visit various european countries for a few days at a time and roaming data charges are ridiculous.
Yup... some more insane than others...

I tried to find about pre-paid sims with 3G data, but can hardly find this information.
Sorry I can't find it either. Prepaid voice-only has existed since the beginning, but prepaid data-only or voice+data is not common AFAICT. Sometimes its included as part of the voice-only, but then you pay like 1 EUR for 500 kB.

The Following User Says Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
We need a similar page for pre-paid sims. I visit various european countries for a few days at a time and roaming data charges are ridiculous. I tried to find about pre-paid sims with 3G data, but can hardly find this information.
You can add that to the page too, just specify "Prepay" (or similar) in the Type column (assuming your country of interest has this - the UK does.)

The Following User Says Thank You to lardman For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Matan View Post
I know O2 do a "bolt on" for roaming data charges, have the charges dropped since the latest legislation was put through to do with roaming in EU?

Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
Originally Posted by deadmalc View Post
...I've been looking around for a good sim only contract. The best one for me (UK) seems to be with O2, which works out at about 20 GBP a month:

Online simplicity 20 SIM Only
Pay Monthly contract
1200 texts / 600 mins
Includes Unlimited Web Bolt On

Apparently the Web Bolt on has no caps etc. and is fine as long as you don't tether the device.
What makes me nervous is the provision that O2 can slap on additional charges if they think you're tethering, sharing files, watching videos etc.

I'm more comfortable with T-mobile's policy. If you cross the line of their acceptable use policy, they never impose an extra charge. Instead, they just throttle your connection speed between 4PM and midnight until the end of the month, then it goes back to normal.

With a T-Mobile Pay As You Go SIM, the cost for data is £1 per day, charged only for the days that you use it. Or you can send an SMS to get 5 consecutive days data for £2.50. There's no ongoing commitment, no contract, no monthly minimum.

For £20 per month on a rolling monthly contract, T-Mobile offers 600 minutes, unlimited texts and internet access. You can cancel anytime with 30 days notice.

If you're a light user, the best deal is Asda Mobile, who resell Vodafone access as a dumb pipe. It costs 4p per text, 8p per minute for voice, and 20p per megabyte for data. No minimum, no bundles, no contract.

Regards,
Roger

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to eiffel For This Useful Post:
T-Mobile definitely sounds the safest, I think I'll go with them.
It's for work purposes so paying slightly more is better than getting slapped with a big bill

Posts: 109 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Caribbean
An interesting article in PCMag about the price of wireless in general. I gather that he's mainly referring to the U.S., but the situation is probably similar elsewhere.
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2344696,00.asp
"3G wireless doesn't provide much of an alternative. I've seen the terrified looks in the eyes of wireless company executives. They're genuinely worried that they can't carry much more traffic. 3G networks are much more fragile than you think. AT&T's network couldn't even handle a bunch of SXSW convention attendees with iPhones. Now imagine if they were all trying to live-stream video using Qik. I've had wireless executives tell me that they set data plan prices high specifically to keep people off their networks—because if they had too many more heavy data users, the networks wouldn't be able to function."

Posts: 154 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by lardman View Post
How do they know if it's an iPhone/N900/etc? Some SIM card reporting trickery?
Each phone has a unique identifier called its IMEI, communicated to the network while the phone is connected. IMEI numbers are allocated to manufacturers in clearly identifiable blocks, and so the network always knows what model of phone is connected.

It's not in the SIM, it's in the phone.

Among other things, the IMEI allows networks to block access by phones reported as stolen, even if the thief (or duped buyer) changes the SIM.

The Following User Says Thank You to scaler For This Useful Post:
Posts: 109 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Caribbean
Originally Posted by eiffel View Post

With a T-Mobile Pay As You Go SIM, the cost for data is £1 per day, charged only for the days that you use it. Or you can send an SMS to get 5 consecutive days data for £2.50. There's no ongoing commitment, no contract, no monthly minimum.

For £20 per month on a rolling monthly contract, T-Mobile offers 600 minutes, unlimited texts and internet access. You can cancel anytime with 30 days notice.

If you're a light user, the best deal is Asda Mobile, who resell Vodafone access as a dumb pipe. It costs 4p per text, 8p per minute for voice, and 20p per megabyte for data. No minimum, no bundles, no contract.

Regards,
Roger
These are pre-paid plans, correct?