Originally Posted by Masoi View Post
1000-500 is your overcloked? your phone does not become hot at that freq?
If I play games it gets warm but not hot .

Originally Posted by Masoi View Post
i see.. what about the battery? it drain faster?
I can't really tell, I have never noticed it draining any faster then usual. I got it back at 650 now because of a reflash I had to do, and i actually think it drains faster now :/ but can't give you any 'scientific' proof ^^

Posts: 249 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Italy
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
....So, only one thing, that saveCPU or other similar stuff check, is *battery* temperature sensor (precisely, BMI temperature sensor). Which is completely irrelevant to CPU temperature - You can literally fry CPU on gas oven, while battery sensor not going higher than 30 Celsius degrees for quite a time.
Sorry, but this is nonsense. Try it and then you say so again....
Whether is true that the sensor is closer to the battery than the CPU, but it is also useful to avoid overheating of the CPU ...
I've heard a couple of people who have fried their SOC because they left running overclocked with hungry applications and have not noticed that it was overheated.
One said that he could cook an egg!

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by m750 View Post
Sorry, but this is nonsense. Try it and then you say so again....
Whether is true that the sensor is closer to the battery than the CPU, but it is also useful to avoid overheating of the CPU ...
I've heard a couple of people who have fried their SOC because they left running overclocked with hungry applications and have not noticed that it was overheated.
One said that he could cook an egg!
Could you provide a link to that story?

One was written in an Italian forum, but I can't find the link.

This is another link:
http://talk.maemo.org/archive/index.php/t-52447.html

But if you search the internet, you will find the experiences of N900 users.

That processor will also work with higher clock (over 600Mhz), but must be cooled.

This is another link:

That processor will also work with higher clock (over 600Mhz), but must be cooled.
Lol, are you for real bro? You had better get a better source than 'some italian forum' if you are going to come to the epi-centre of n900 knowledge and start spouting nonsense.

The temperature you are looking at is the temperature of the bq24150 chip die, not the CPU. The 'sensor' cannot get ANY closer to the 'battery chip' because it IS the 'battery chip'.

Think what you want, but avoid making sarcastic!
Understood?!

Read carefully what I wrote: not "some italian forum," but "in an italian forum".

And I don't think that the link is relates to a "strange" forum...

Cheers!

Last edited by m750; 2011-12-13 at 21:27.

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
So we should just take your word for it? When there have been reports of over-clock induced heat deaths to date? I suppose next you'll tell us there's an invisible all-knowing man in the sky, or a fat man in a red suite will be leaving us all gifts in a couple weeks...

This is another link:
Sorry, that the link was not about CPU overheating, it was about flashing a bad firmware that wrote out some incompatible code to the SIM reader, rendering the phone functions dead. The system itself still worked (the OP noted he booted the official firmware later, but still lacked GSM capabilities).

You can search this forum and find LOTS of N900 users right here with lots of experience. I've been running my N900 in overclock mode since it was first released by Lehto. I've also run Titan's kernel, and not run Pali's, all in overclocked mode, 500-900.

And no, it doesn't need to be cooled... it just needs to not be running at top speed for minutes at a time. With common use (e.g. browsing, media playing, streaming audio, etc) the CPU won't get hot, because it's not constantly at 900. That generally only happens if you're running something very CPU intensive, like an emulator, or a flash game, or some other such thing.

There are dozens (if not hundreds) of N900 users on this forum that have run overclocked for well over a year without issue. So please don't show up and go "ohh!! It's bad!" when you have no idea what you're talking about...

As for this whole mess of "the sensor is in the battery", yes.. yes it is. Would I like one in the chip? Sure, but there's not one in there, so we make due with what we have. The thermostat for my house is in my living room. It doesn't mean my dining room is a refrigerator in the winter because the thermostat for the house is way over in the living room. Heat tends to radiate and distribute itself...

Plus, we're talking about a device that's packed together with lots of metal bits and shields all touching each other, within a 3/8" package. I'm willing to bet that if my CPU starts to get hot, it won't be too long before the battery sensor (about 1mm away) will start to see it. That's probably good enough for most real-life situations, and is clearly better than nothing, which is the only other alternative we have, given the current hardware.

Perhaps you don't understand me why I don't speak English well.
I am referring to the fact that it is more useful to have a temperature control even if the temperature sensor is not exactly what the CPU.

Besides, I'm not saying that you should not overclock, indeed, I made the widget "maxcpu" and then I made the application "savecpu" and indeed my n900 has overclocking, so ...

I know myself and I've also written that you may only use applications that require a lot of cpu.

Moreover, it is not only to protect the CPU, but all the hardware of the phone if there is overheating.

Happy now? I have explained myself better?

And just for know, bq24150 is not inside the battery:
http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/bq24150.pdf

p.s: http://wiki.maemo.org/Overclocking
tilt2control : control mediaplayer by tilting your n900.
gpstracker-c : easy handle your gpstracker tk102.
pyOBD for maemo (OBD-II cars diagnostic)

Last edited by m750; 2011-12-13 at 21:55.

The Following User Says Thank You to m750 For This Useful Post: