Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by sondjata View Post
I'm not sure about the claims about data access without a plan.
It all depends on how greedy your provider is. Some block all data access if you don't have a data plan, others will gladly give you data and charge you an arm and a leg for it. I'm dealing with similar issues because I do not have a voice plan and I keep getting the same crazy woman calling me, thinking it's her son's number and I'm being charged for the incoming calls. Arrrrghh!

Doesn't it work like Symbian where whenever an app want to access the data connection you have to allow it first?

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by Ayle View Post
Doesn't it work like Symbian where whenever an app want to access the data connection you have to allow it first?
No, it does not.

Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.
T mobile is going hspa+ (21mps) so maybe you should reconsider not getting a data plan. I am reconsidering since the announcement.
http://hotcellularphone.com/tmobile/...-philadelphia/

Originally Posted by jaysin22 View Post
I did a quick search but was unable to find any reference to this. I am really drooling over the N900 but have AT&T which it appears it would work with and I would only get Edge speeds. But I don't have the Data Plan contract and really don't want to get one right now. Is there any reference to being able to disable the use of the 3G/Edge network when you don't have wifi or will the apps try to connect automatically to what ever is available. I just wondered if there was a way to turn that feature off and use it like a souped up N8x0 but with a real Phone and a better camera/video camera. Would love to hear if any knows anything about this. This would be my deciding factor as I don't want to switch to T-Mobile or have to get a data plan.
just delete the apn settings on the phone or just change it to something else than your providers that way even if accidentally you hit something you wont be able to get online costing you your first born.

As others have mentioned, the only sure-fire way is to call AT&T and tell them to disabled "Pay per use data". Actually, it's a good idea to do this even WITH a data plan, so you are immune to "glitches" that occassionally happen where your data plan doesn't get applied properly and they charge you per kilobyte (and instead the data either works under the plan, or not at all). It's rare, but it does happen (happened to my boss once).

The Following User Says Thank You to texaslabrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 69 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Colorado, USA
Originally Posted by sondjata View Post
I'm not sure about the claims about data access without a plan.
I am pretty sure one can access data on AT&T without a data plan. I did that for couple of months (on my LG Vu phone) before signing up for the $15 medianet plan. AT&T simply charged me per kb.

Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
It all depends on how greedy your provider is. Some block all data access if you don't have a data plan, others will gladly give you data and charge you an arm and a leg for it. I'm dealing with similar issues because I do not have a voice plan and I keep getting the same crazy woman calling me, thinking it's her son's number and I'm being charged for the incoming calls. Arrrrghh!
I'm on ATT

Originally Posted by khalid View Post
I am pretty sure one can access data on AT&T without a data plan. I did that for couple of months (on my LG Vu phone) before signing up for the $15 medianet plan. AT&T simply charged me per kb.
Agreed. I have a Nokia 6555b and no data plan. But if I want to access the web and check a few things I can. They just charge me per kb. Thats why I wondered if there was an easy way to disable the switch to 3g/edge (whatever it is called on the phone) so that the internet apps would only work on wifi and not try to trigger the cell provides network. I don't want the data plan but I also don't want to get billed for lets say Mauku trying to access twitter if I left it running and am driving in my car. I know it will be able to get access as my 14 month old has gotten a hold of my phone and activated a few websites. LOL. I didn't know if anyone who had an early N900 would know.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
And what about international roaming? iPhone has an option which allows you to block GPRS/UMTS traffic when abroad (since, at least here in Italy, you can get a flat rate for internet but you have to pay on a per-kb basis if you go abroad). It would be useful to have such an option.