Originally Posted by ysss View Post
chances are if you go somewhere that you need to swap SIM Cards to, you won't be going there on a daily basis anyway.
Not daily, but it'll still be annoying. My tablets' uptime is usually in the order of magnitude of months, while I crossed borders 4 times in the last month. Sometimes "not a phone" is a feature :-)

@vvaz: what phone have you had this happened on? (that it accidentally slid to unlock itself).
That was some kind of Sagem with one key lock.

I think if you have a chance of having that happened to you, then your screen would have quite a bit of scratches already..
For me phone is tool to use, not something to cuddle. I didn't use any pouches or cases for any of my phones, for N800 I got only screen protector.
After ca. 1 year they have some scratches but nothing preventing from use or making it harder.
I really admire sturdiness of my N800. I dropped it numerous times from 1m and higher onto hard surfaces and it works great. If N900 is of lesser build quality that I have to treat it like infant (including childish interface)...

The only problem with N800 dropping was one time when after hard contact with floor in kitchen every element went in other direction: N800 itself, cover, battery and infamous cover magnet so I've had problems with mounting of internal card. Fortunately after few hours I found it.

Last edited by vvaz; 2009-09-20 at 16:32. Reason: fix quotes

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@vvaz: I see.

Well what I meant was if there's a chance for pointy item to rub itself against your screen in enough frequency and random direction to unlock the device, then it's gotta be exposed to a LOT of frictions.

I didn't imply that you like to have tender moments with your gadgets whatsoever

Exactly ysss!

And if I have to buy additional stuff to prevent that it means no bananas for Nokia.

Truly, this (including overall toughness) and sound while booting is enough to put me off.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@vvaz: damn dude, just get a bag with an extra compartment or something! unless you use military grade equipment, it's not worth exposing a device which we depend so much on daily basis to such torture

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 23 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
Hmm doesn't sound simple\intuitive.. I'll have to wait til I get my unit to find out more about it I guess.
I actually think it's easier to do than the slide to unlock feature on the iPhone...

but what people are forgetting...there is a physical flicker key which you can unlock/lock your device with...i would expect that people wouldn't solely use the swipe to unlock screen all the time

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aSIMULAtor For This Useful Post:
from the original page below the video:

http://mynokiablog.com/2009/09/19/vi...ipe-to-unlock/

"Currently, if the N900 is locked, you have to press the power button first to see this “Swipe to Unlock” option. You can also lock/unlock using the dedicated lock switch."

It would seem that if the n900 was just in your pocket you would have to hit the power button and then get the swipe to unlock just right. I don't see this as likely.

My n800 lives in my right back pocket (when I have on pants) I have never had the 2 button combo to unlock the screen accidentally unlock. I would think that the button + swipe should be even harder to accomplish accidentally

Epi

The Following User Says Thank You to epilido For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
The idea behind the swiping is that it's very hard to do by accident so I don't think you have to worry about that.

Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
The idea behind the swiping is that it's very hard to do by accident so I don't think you have to worry about that.
And, actually, my son's finger can't really do it -- his fingertip is small and he doesn't know quite how much pressure to apply... It takes him a few tries.

Tim

Tags
nokia n900, speed, startup time, swipe to unlock