Posts: 397 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Toronto, Ontario
Originally Posted by kin900 View Post
is there anyway to change the boot animation? that would be awesomeness?
I'd like that too. The option to substitute a picture or nothing to increase the boot time, or to insert your own video of the same length for it too load. Being open-source, changing the animation should be just as easy as it is to change the boot images on the Maemo 4 devices.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@lma: chances are if you go somewhere that you need to swap SIM Cards to, you won't be going there on a daily basis anyway.
And chances are you'd have enough time to do so in the airplane\ship\bus\train\etc too.

I think the slide-to-unlock on N900 is kind of pointless though.. the one on iPhone is located right under your thumb when you hold it in portrait mode. Thus when you want to turn it on, you make the gesture to click (the home button) and flick from left to right right above it... all in a single continuous gesture. I don't think this is the case on the landscape-oriented N900.

PS: 33 seconds boot time is nothing really. As long as the device is stable.

Last edited by ysss; 2009-09-19 at 11:05.

Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
PS: 33 seconds is nothing really.
33 seconds is a long time when you're in a hurry. But it's the same as my N810 takes.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@eiffel: can you give a usecase for it?

Personally, I rarely turn off my devices AT ALL. They can go on for weeks and months without any reboots, unless I have to do some planned maintenances like:

- firmware upgrade
- sim card swap (bb bold & htc g1)

and usually I have plenty of time and opportunity to prepare before having to do such thing.

ps: Moreover, my iphone doesn't need to be turned off to swap its sim card...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
I try not to turn my phones off. Offline mode at best.

But being Symbian, I need to restart them either to refresh the RAM (at least twice a day) or to pop the battery out because the damn thing has frozen :S.
Hopefully it won't be the same for Maemo 5 on the N900. I would not mind a longer boot time if it was stable not to require frequent restarts.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by eiffel View Post
33 seconds is a long time when you're in a hurry. But it's the same as my N810 takes.
See my earlier post. You're doing it wrong.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Well, sometimes a package forces you to reboot. That sucks.

I think the animation is OK. That is just part of a Nokia branded device. My Nokia phone has this too. I almost never see it.

Posts: 780 | Thanked: 855 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
I hope the startup sound would be customizable, I'd really like to change it to this:

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/805039/snd/eva_e_bfc_s.wav

Straight from Red Alert

Posts: 529 | Thanked: 262 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Eastleigh, Hampshire, UK
I'd have to agree that I don't care about boot time too much. I never switch off my n810 or my e71 by choice. acording to 'uptime' it's been 5 days 17 hours since the last time my 810 restarted. I think that was after I installed easy debian.
Check out Witter, a twitter client for N900
http://danielwould.wordpress.com/witter

If Witter isn't working for you, eg crashes/doesn't start, gives errors etc etc. Please run it from x-term using:
run-standalone.sh python2.5 /opt/witter/witter.py

This will generate diagnostic output. Without this I cannot help you.

Originally Posted by lma View Post
Except when you want to change the SIM on the N900. A bit of a bummer for frequent travellers that.
I did notice on the Nokia Booklet 3G the sim is hot swappable, requiring no reboot, is there something like that on the n900?

Tags
nokia n900, speed, startup time, swipe to unlock