Just wondering if GAIM works on the Nokia N800? If not, is there a chat client that works with AIM, iChat, etc?

First and foremost, this forum has a great search feature. But yes, gaim works

Yes. I use it for my AIM, MSN, and YIM contacts. I use the N800's built in chat app for Google talk contacts because of it's superior alerts integration with the OS.

I have found that I sometimes cannot quit GAIM and have to manually kill the process from the comand line via xterm.

When that happens to me I just use the menu command to quit the app. It's a little easier than a kill on the command line. Though not as easy as the X in the corner, which rarely works unfortunately.

Originally Posted by zippy View Post
Yes. I use it for my AIM, MSN, and YIM contacts. I use the N800's built in chat app for Google talk contacts because of it's superior alerts integration with the OS.

I have found that I sometimes cannot quit GAIM and have to manually kill the process from the comand line via xterm.

hmmm, have the killing problem sometimes,too. But then it works from gaim itself, not from os close-aplet.

Posts: 242 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ USA & BharatVarsh ( INDIA - Kerala ).
On the Nokia 770 IT:

To close the Gaim Application, you have to go to
Gaim \ Buddies \ Sign off. This will sign you off of the Gaim Application. The Wi-Fi connection will still be active.

I think this way of signing off of Gaim would be similar to both the Nokia ITs.

Posts: 151 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Sep 2006 @ Mexico City, Mexico
Ok, great that GAIM works on the N800 but, could someone please post the
best way to install GAIM , ideally from the applications manager by means of adding a repository which contains GAIM.

In other words, is there a repository that provides GAIM "natively" to the N800 ?

It seems that adding Gaim to the n800 from a 770 repository may not be a very good idea. Is that right?

I can't install GAIM on my n800. It won't let me install files frim a 770 repository.. Any ideas? AND CAN ANYONE GET THE FILE libxau0 installed on the n800. It prevents many of the n770 programs from installing.
trustwiz@myfastmail.com

Posts: 242 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ USA & BharatVarsh ( INDIA - Kerala ).
Originally Posted by trustwiz View Post
I can't install GAIM on my n800. It won't let me install files frim a 770 repository.. Any ideas? AND CAN ANYONE GET THE FILE libxau0 installed on the n800. It prevents many of the n770 programs from installing.
trustwiz@myfastmail.com
e R

What you are trying to do is similar to trying to put the engine of a VW Golf car into a Hummer Alpha1.

The details of the Repositories which are used with the Nokia 770 is very different from those used by Nokia N800. Also the two ITs have very different OSes. So, installing a ' Gaim ' program ( and its associated Repositories ) created specifically for Nokia 770 need not necessarily work well on the N800.

Please search this Forum and learn about the different Repositories and how to install / handle / manipulate them. Also, try to understand the difference between the various OSes available for the two ITs. The details as of how to install Gaim on Nokia 770 and Nokia N800 are also mentioned here numerous times.

Last edited by Arjun; 2007-02-24 at 14:58.

\Gaim Menu \Buddies \Quit works too, and saves a step perhaps...

Originally Posted by Arjun View Post
On the Nokia 770 IT:

To close the Gaim Application, you have to go to
Gaim \ Buddies \ Sign off. This will sign you off of the Gaim Application. The Wi-Fi connection will still be active.

I think this way of signing off of Gaim would be similar to both the Nokia ITs.