Send + receive text messages from your tablet to your friends (US phone numbers) from anywhere in the world.

ADD 100% free unlimited incoming + outgoing sms/text messaging to your tablet:

(Great find from Frank Banul)
1. In Control Panel, open Accounts
2. Click New/Edit to create a Google Talk account with your google account credentials
3. In View Contacts, add/edit a contact
4. In field field "google talk", type
+1xxxyyyyyyy@sms.talk.google.com
(replace x and y w/ area code and phonenumber)
5. Select contact & start the chat (or start chat & select the contact)
6. Ignore the message "Contact is unauthorized. Unable to guarantee that messages will be delivered."

Text away. Each time you press enter, normal texting rates apply for your contacts.

From your mobile phone, txt my N800 @ 406.205.0523
(it's 100% free unlimited for my N800 from google)

Enjoy!

Last edited by dkwatts; 2008-12-21 at 14:03.

The Following User Says Thank You to dkwatts For This Useful Post:
=[[
"Gmail labs aren't yet compatible with all of our supported browsers. Labs are available only in Internet Explorer 7.0+, Firefox 2.0+, Safari 3.0+, and Google Chrome. You won't see a 'Labs' tab in your Settings if you're not using the newer version of Gmail on the browsers listed above. Please note that if you're using Internet Explorer 6.0, you will not have Gmail Labs."

see post #1

Last edited by dkwatts; 2008-12-21 at 14:12.

Posts: 1,012 | Thanked: 817 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ France

Originally Posted by dkwatts View Post
=[[
"Gmail labs aren't yet compatible with all of our supported browsers. Labs are available only in Internet Explorer 7.0+, Firefox 2.0+, Safari 3.0+, and Google Chrome. You won't see a 'Labs' tab in your Settings if you're not using the newer version of Gmail on the browsers listed above. Please note that if you're using Internet Explorer 6.0, you will not have Gmail Labs."
Gmail labs is compatible with Firefox 3 i just enabled mine but can't send sms yet; you only have to change language to US in your settings to see these features. i've been using labs features since they were announced.

T3 - IT 810
Confidence is hard to gain easy to loose impossible to regain, Pee

Last edited by Un27Pee; 2008-12-11 at 13:36.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Note: with Google...

Posts: 398 | Thanked: 301 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Texas
This appears to work outside of gmail chat as well.

Send a message to +13334445555@sms.talk.google.com from any jabber client.

Frank

The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Banul For This Useful Post:
I less than three Google.

I'm sure there's some sinister plot behind all their goodwill/awesome projects, but until it's exposed, I will continue to feel that they are awesome.

The Following User Says Thank You to Durango For This Useful Post:
No permission for this operation.

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Okay, this is seriously catching my interest.

Are you saying that I can use Pidgin if all I want to do is send and receive messages to and from friends who have cell phones?

And yeah, I already have a Google Voice account.

It's just that Dial Central is a little rough to use, especially the need to constantly refresh messages.

Originally Posted by Addison View Post
Okay, this is seriously catching my interest.

Are you saying that I can use Pidgin if all I want to do is send and receive messages to and from friends who have cell phones?
And yeah, I already have a Google Voice account.
It's just that Dial Central is a little rough to use, especially the need to constantly refresh messages.
Yes - you can also do it with the built-in chat client - just create an AOL chat account.

However - AOL reply numbers (the number your friends see) will expire after a few days.

Google disabled the SMS-through-chat API when it was being abused by a company selling an app on the iPhone that promised free unlimited SMSs. So as far as I know it no longer works with the built-in client (you can receive sms messages, but cant reply to them)