Notices

Posts: 708 | Thanked: 125 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Too Close To D.C
Sound and pic still seem to be out of sync when played back on Media player. Same as the 2007 release, but I am happy someone is still working on the application, thanks.

Originally Posted by qole View Post
Are there other, faster-encoding codecs out there that may not be as universally compatible as DivX but require less CPU? I would be willing to trade compatibility for some higher-quality video.
But then you'd have to <gasp /> transcode!

Posts: 469 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montana
Are there other, faster-encoding codecs out there that may not be as universally compatible as DivX but require less CPU? I would be willing to trade compatibility for some higher-quality video.

Also, I would love to have something like the Peekaboo project for OS2008. Streaming video is much more interesting to me than recording video.
I'm sure higher quality is possible. h.263+ calls I've tried have a higher frame rate and are also encoding the audio to g729 and decoding audio and video from the other caller, all over a network, and all at under 50% cpu.

I agree. I really wish I had the time/skills to bring Peekaboo into OS2008. It would be a great app.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Identifying faster-encoding codecs is easy. H.263 was nifty technology in 1995 and designed for processors of that era. So, to find faster encoding codecs, you just look further back in time to when processors were even weaker. You'll find technological wonders like Cinepak, Indeo, and Apple's Road Pizza.

The thing is, you're not going to get high quality out of any of them. I suppose the "Road Pizza" nickname may have hinted at that to you though.

You could look at mild compression solutions, accepting a much higher bitrate, but how fast is the tablet's I/O subsystem? Also, how much is the CPU involved in that I/O? I haven't looked into it, but I expect the tablets aren't designed for high bitrate, sustained writes. So, lowering the compression complexity might not help.

In the end, H.263 might not be a bad codec choice. Ideally though, it would be implemented in optimized, hand written assembly. If the DSP could be brought into play, possibly for the audio encoding, so much the better.

I don't expect to see anything like that appear on the tablets anytime soon though. There's a reason the really good compression tools cost thousands of dollars. Writing optimized codecs in assembly is hard. (Let's go shopping!)

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
In the end, H.263 might not be a bad codec choice. Ideally though, it would be implemented in optimized, hand written assembly. If the DSP could be brought into play, possibly for the audio encoding, so much the better.

I don't expect to see anything like that appear on the tablets anytime soon though. There's a reason the really good compression tools cost thousands of dollars. Writing optimized codecs in assembly is hard. (Let's go shopping!)
KzSnzzz.... Whuh? Huh? <opens eyes> Oh hey, why'd you wake me up? I was having this beautiful dream about recording / streaming nice quality video from my N800.

Originally Posted by Moonshine View Post
I'm sure higher quality is possible. h.263+ calls I've tried have a higher frame rate and are also encoding the audio to g729 and decoding audio and video from the other caller, all over a network, and all at under 50% cpu.

I agree. I really wish I had the time/skills to bring Peekaboo into OS2008. It would be a great app.
So, Nokia has the h.263+ / g729 encoding software running in the Internet calling app? So just drop that code into the videocamera app! Isn't it developed by a Nokia guy?

Peekaboo uses VLC to encode the video to WMV, but no audio. It looked OK, but I can't help think that dropping the Internet calling encoder into this app would solve our problems.

Last edited by qole; 2008-02-21 at 00:17.

Posts: 213 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Montreal, Canada
Greetings:

Can anyone tell me if the developer of this VideoCamera apps has visited this thread yet?

I believe the quality of Video boosting up to 640 X480 could reached.
Or at least give us two video options.

This videocamera apps is great when you want to record a videoblog.
But if the voice doesn't sync well with the video and quality suffers, then not many users will install this apps.

Please try to improve on the VideoCamera Apps!!!!!!!

Regards Robert

Posts: 45 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ corpus christi texas
Great job, many thankz. Perfect lil spy recorder.

I agree it's a cool spy recorder, but on my unit the sound volume is very low, even after I set the system volume to high during record and playback.

Posts: 86 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Moscow
Saving to internal memory card is done without problems (it's selected on n810 by default), but the sound volume is very low indeed. On Windows It's played back by Mplayer and MediaPlayer Classic, but not default WM Player 11 with FFDshow (no other codecs, like standalone Divx or XVID, installed). And it would be great also to see more resolutions implemented (at least 320x240).

Posts: 472 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Texas
On the sound issue, you can use the included stereo headset to give yourself a wired microphone. Just did a test, works great.

The Following User Says Thank You to rcadden For This Useful Post: