Notices

Posts: 170 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Norway
what format does it record to? what resolution, and what file sizes per minute?

Posts: 466 | Thanked: 142 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Temple Terrorist, FL
AVI (176 x 144) 8.00fps

GSpot says the video codec is DivX 4 (OpenDivX), and the audio is PCM Audio 8000Hz 128 kb/s (1 chnl) mono.

The audio takes up about 60% of the file size.

10 seconds recorded results in about a 310 KB file in my test.

Note: The N800 camera is rated less than one MP IIRC. This is never going to be a replacement for a real camera or video camcorder, but useful none the less.

Posts: 59 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Lisbon, Portugal
Can anyone please upload their OS2008 libgstvideoscale.so file for me? It's located at /usr/lib/gstreamer0.10.

I accidentally deleted it, and it's needed for the videocamera to work, I suppose. I can't reinstall gstreamer0.10-plugins-base package and Debian lenny's armel version of the file's not working for me...

Thanks in advance!

Posts: 134 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ New Jersey
Originally Posted by OSEmuTech View Post
hillsdalebob: You can go into the Internet call => Tools => Settings to shut off the automatic launch of Internet call when the camera is extended.
Thanks so much for this tip!!! I've never used Internet Call yet, so I didn't think to look at the settings there, but I've always been annoyed at the auto-launch.

DF

Originally Posted by Onyros View Post
Can anyone please upload their OS2008 libgstvideoscale.so file for me? It's located at /usr/lib/gstreamer0.10.
Good luck!
Attached Files
File Type: zip libgstvideoscale.zip (12.6 KB, 125 views)

The Following User Says Thank You to OSEmuTech For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by DistantFire View Post
Thanks so much for this tip!!! I've never used Internet Call yet, so I didn't think to look at the settings there, but I've always been annoyed at the auto-launch.

DF
No problem. I too got annoyed with it launching whenever I used the video camera app on OS 2007. Luckily Nokia thought in advance to allow the automatic startup to be disabled.

Posts: 59 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Lisbon, Portugal
Good luck!
Thank you very, very much!

Videocamera's now working for me, as well

/me goes record his kid blabbering and drooling.

Posts: 74 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by dkwatts View Post
Marko has just released Video Camera (Beta) WITH video recording.

Works as advertised.

Enjoy!
Lovely ... as soon as I get home I'l install and give it a try!

Got home, got it, it works! Kewl.

Last edited by brashley46; 2008-02-19 at 23:23.

Note: The N800 camera is rated less than one MP IIRC. This is never going to be a replacement for a real camera or video camcorder, but useful none the less.
Yeah, I'm not saying it is a camcorder replacement, but it's worth noting that VGA is higher than standard (non-HD) TV, so it's not all that bad for video...

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
AVI (176 x 144) 8.00fps
GSpot says the video codec is DivX 4 (OpenDivX), and the audio is PCM Audio 8000Hz 128 kb/s (1 chnl) mono.

The audio takes up about 60% of the file size.

10 seconds recorded results in about a 310 KB file in my test.

The audio is completely uncompressed (basically just in WAV format), which is why it takes up 60+% of the file.

Also, the N800 camera can handle up to 640x480. Obviously, the camera resolution is not the bottleneck here.

Overall, the N800 Video Camera is a cool concept, but it seems that the IT just doesn't have the CPU oomph necessary to encode decent video on the fly. Is this the best that the CPU can do? Is there any way we could get 320x240 video at 15fps?

Are there other, faster-encoding codecs out there that may not be as universally compatible as DivX but require less CPU? I would be willing to trade compatibility for some higher-quality video.

Also, I would love to have something like the Peekaboo project for OS2008. Streaming video is much more interesting to me than recording video.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post: