Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by barry99705 View Post
They must be doing something right.
..........................marketing ^

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Well... another opposite example I saw in my trip last week in Vietnam: You can see the NOKIA banners everywhere. Every single cell phone store use it as a bait to lure customers in... It is the most wanted brand of cell phones there. Nokia must be doing something right there?

Originally Posted by Mara View Post
Well... another opposite example I saw in my trip last week in Vietnam: You can see the NOKIA banners everywhere. Every single cell phone store use it as a bait to lure customers in... It is the most wanted brand of cell phones there. Nokia must be doing something right there?
Yes, it's called "marketing on every other continent except North America".

Originally Posted by iball View Post
Odd....I can adjust the volume and pause music on my N800 without having to look at it.
Can that be done on the iPhone/Touch?
I can even stop, start, pause, jump tracks, and answer phone calls on my N95 while it sits in my pocket all using my MotorolaS9 A2DP headset too.
Of course, neither the iPhone or the new Touch iPod can currently do that. Probably in a month or two there will be yet another new-and-improved-stereo-bluetooth-ipod-dongle for folks to dish out an additional $50+ for in order to even get the current functionality of either my N95 or N800. Granted, A2DP on the N800 requires some "hacking" but once setup it's easy to use and works well. I expect Nokia to HOPEFULLY get A2DP rolled into the next N800 firmware [this is your first and last hint on this from me, Nokia, get a damn clue already].

You blindly hate the iPhone. You can adjust volume, pause and change tracks on the iPhone without taking it out of your pocket from day one. You chided be for not knowing the product before bashing it, and your guilty of it first hand. Yet you couldn't site one instance of my not knowing the N800, because I own one.

Your arguments are tired, uninformed and wrong.

And of course, absolutely nothing to do with having a product that people want to buy.

Originally Posted by andymulhearn View Post
And of course, absolutely nothing to do with having a product that people want to buy.
Sorry... where did anyone make such an absurd claim? I can't find it...

And I wonder if people wanting a product has anything to do with good marketing in the first place...

I don't think the iPod Touch will affect the N800, but the iPhone is exactly what they are after. "The Internet everywhere."

Why carry a phone and a non pocketable device when you can browse the web, do email, hop on youtube and edit stuff with google docs? I installed Apollo IM and it works perfectly.

I might be in the minority on an IT based message board, but in the real world, people dont like to have a man purse just to look something up on the internet. Its just like the UMPC, there is no market, or its the wrong time and place.

I am browsing these forums, posting, listening to music, watching a tv episode on the ride home all on a device that fits in my pant pocket. Whats the point of the N800 for most people? Youll see most devices will end up in this form factor.

Another part of Barry's quote:

Originally Posted by barry99705 View Post
It only took 74 days to sell one million units.
That is surely something in which Apple can take pride.

Wake me up when they sell over 1 million smartphones per week.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Another part of Barry's quote:

That is surely something in which Apple can take pride.

Wake me up when they sell over 1 million smartphones per week.

According to various analysts, that should be in 2009 when Apple will be shifting 45m iPhones per year, and they will be receiving significant kickbacks ($3-$11/month) from each subscriber. And that doesn't include income from iTunes. Do the math(s)... those numbers should add a VERY healthy bottom line to Apples accounts. I'm sure even Nokia would be green with envy when looking at such a business plan.

It's good to speculate on things that have yet to manifest.

It's also good to occasionally ground one's self in current reality.