Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
As we all are hit with the rather outdated web engines available on SFOS, there is a game changer through Flatpak-provided up to date Qt environment. I expect that with the next SFOS release, we will get new libhybris that allows us to use Flatpaks on many (probably most) SFOS devices. With this, there is a natural question whether we can use it for writing a browser.

At present, the best browser that we can run using Flatpak & SFOS is probably Angelfish. However, it feels rather slow. Fortunately, it seems to be mainly caused by something inside the app and not WebEngine as such. When running a trivial browser with just WebEngineView, I get fast (or at least not unusually slow) performance. This will have to be confirmed on slower devices, as we don't have yet hardware acceleration for WebEngine on SFOS (couldn't figure out why exactly).

... and you don't get "outdated" browser warning on github with any of those ...

Ideally, we could join forces with Plasma developers and base the work on Angelfish. I guess the main issues would be then design of the interactions as they seem to be quite different from what we are used to. Alternative would be to write something from scratch and base it on Jolla browser or some other design.

It all could be done in a way that when SFOS will update to some newer Qt version, we could make Silica UI as well on the basis of the same code. It takes time, but looking on Pure Maps, its surely possible. Until then, we could also make styling closer to what it is on Sailfish, if we have time for it.

Good thing about developing using Flatpaks is that you can debug test on PC immediately. As far as I have seen with Pure Maps, it did speed up the development a lot.

With this thread I am mainly looking for interested developers and a feedback regarding the policies. Ideally, there would be someone coming out and taking leadership on this project from our side...

Edit: will work on helping with Angelfish development: https://invent.kde.org/jbbgameich/plasma-angelfish

Last edited by rinigus; 2020-02-03 at 15:19.

The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
And I just found why Angelfish was slow - too detailed BusyIndicator messing it all up. Now its as fast as expected, upstream notified

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 387 | Thanked: 707 times | Joined on May 2015 @ Italy
I think that everyone using Sailfish would like to have an updated and better browser. However, I am not a developer and I can't help except for testing on Jolla and Nexus 5!
Thank you for your work

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to claustn For This Useful Post:
I started by joining efforts with Plasma team. Hopefully, it will work out nicely

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Count me in on testing or eventually small tasks as I´m not really experienced in this field. I´m really looking forward to any new development regarding browsers.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Merienth For This Useful Post:
Anticipating a qt update, I've made some experiments a few years ago. These tests were done on a "partial port" from some elements of viper browser to qml (uses widgets by default). That included some parts of the ad blocking logic, by the way.

I'd be willing to help out with user experience, qml interface and rudimentary c++, but realistically someone more adept should take the c++ lead there.

cheers
___
list of i486/noarch packages on openrepos (jolla tablet)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to velox For This Useful Post:
@velox: I started looking into https://invent.kde.org/jbbgameich/plasma-angelfish

Some issues are filed and will work on resolving them. It does require one more account as is sits behind kde.org

Compared to other QtWebengine browsers (Falkon mainly), its significantly simpler and probably lacks in functions. However, choice of QML-based browsers is rather limited (https://mglapps.frama.io/). I found only Angelfish, Qt Demo browser and Liri. Working with Angelfish as it's plain KDE and does not have some other exotic requirements as Liri (https://liri.io/apps/browser/) and Angelfish is developed with the focus on mobile.

If there is a better choice, now its a good time to voice it

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
I'm glad we have you in our community, Rinigus. And I'm sure Jolla is grateful too.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
@taixzo: at some point we may look into Firefox and Chrome(?), but currently we are limited by Wayland compositor that is implemented in Flatpak Runner and Lipstick. I may improve it in future, but have a hope that Jolla will manage to get Qt update out of the door before it. Which will make it possible for us to get better compositor and Gtk apps in addition.

But in some respect, to have some browser which was written for mobile specifically is probably worth it. Not sure how far we can go. I am surely not expert in the area, just helping with what I can.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rinigus View Post
@taixzo: at some point we may look into Firefox and Chrome(?), but currently we are limited by Wayland compositor that is implemented in Flatpak Runner and Lipstick.
Actual Firefox works against wayland. Needs to be started with GDK_BACKEND=wayland and/or MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1

https://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/com...land_on_linux/

I can prove this on debian testing desktop.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cy8aer For This Useful Post:

Tags
sailfish os, web browser