Originally Posted by gtmaster303 View Post
Any chance the release date gets pushed up? We're still at least 3 months out...
I've been getting tempted by the Galaxy s10e hard
You're asking if Chen can release the Pro1 earlier, so that you won't be tempted (as much) by Samsung's Galaxy S10?

No insult intended, but I can think of only one reply: lol. Would the S10's temptation be any less if you'd already have the Pro1? If so, why? Also, out of curiosity, what phone do you have now that you need to have the Pro1 (or S10) so badly?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ThomasAH For This Useful Post:
I'm sure they tried really hard to keep it as compact as possible,
in what universe is 15.5 cm wide 'as compact as possible'?

This phone is as large as some phablets
is what you write in the very next sentence, how is that 'as compact as possible'?

seriously, who here wanted a qwerty slider phablet more than a qwerty slider phone?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SaiKo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
Deadpool hands? Um no, this device is large, there's no getting around that. I'm sure they tried really hard to keep it as compact as possible, but it's not a small or ergonomic based on dimensions. This phone is as large as some phablets and heavier than nearly every other phone on the market. Let's not kid ourselves here, using this device may be difficult for a good amount of people
Go find a Kyocera duraforce pro 2 if you want a phone with similar dimensions to feel. That's the size you're working with
I know. I can thumb type on 10" tablet so 6" will not be a problem. Don't forget that you don't type on 6" keyboard, it is smaller than that and you only need to reach half of it with a thumb. So about 6cm.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by SaiKo View Post
...seriously, who here wanted a qwerty slider phablet more than a qwerty slider phone?
... -> me <- ...

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900

Last edited by theonelaw; 2019-03-30 at 04:30. Reason: font

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to theonelaw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by SaiKo View Post
in what universe is 15.5 cm wide 'as compact as possible'?

is what you write in the very next sentence, how is that 'as compact as possible'?

seriously, who here wanted a qwerty slider phablet more than a qwerty slider phone?
Keyword: tried
I'll leave it up to the masses on judging if they were successful. Also not sure where you're getting 15.5cm from... Dimensions: 154 x 73.6 x 13.98 mm
If you really think about it, this phone is just a few mm bigger than typical 6 inch screen phones, plus the girth of the keyboard. But there's no getting around how big 6 inch screens are. Even if it's an 18:9 ratio
Chen posted a while back that 6 inch screen was the most cost effective choice, and I believe him on that, but I wish they went a little smaller. Given that this phone has a keyboard, I think they should've downsized the screen to make it more pocket friendly. Like 5.7 or 5.8 inch screen. Still an impressive screen size, but the device would be significantly smaller. I think this device will be unwieldy for a decent amount of people. I'd love to be proven wrong, but it's hard to digest those numbers. To compare, I had to find one of the largest and heaviest phones on the market (Kyocera duraforce Pro 2) to compare this thing to, size wise.
Even my original Pixel feels a hair too big for my taste, and it's a good 10mm shorter, 4mm narrower, and nearly 5mm less thick than the pro1
Staying hopeful...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gtmaster303 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ThomasAH View Post
You're asking if Chen can release the Pro1 earlier, so that you won't be tempted (as much) by Samsung's Galaxy S10?

No insult intended, but I can think of only one reply: lol. Would the S10's temptation be any less if you'd already have the Pro1? If so, why? Also, out of curiosity, what phone do you have now that you need to have the Pro1 (or S10) so badly?
Lol I know, but it doesn't hurt to ask. I recently saw Samsung discounted their note 9 to $700. I found the Pixel 3 for about 500, and Galaxy s10e for 600. Imagine what the prices will be in the next 3 months
I just find the S10e very attractive because of how compact it is. Packing a 5.8 inch display, it's the same dimensions as the 5.1 inch Galaxy S7. I think that's amazingly compact, but powerful. If the Pro1 wasn't on the horizon, that's the phone I would be aiming to get over the coming months.
I'm currently using an original Google Pixel. Battery is tired, design is terrible, but at least it gets regular updates and has a solid camera. Just that time where i'm looking for a new phone

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gtmaster303 For This Useful Post:
iirc the S8 screen is 0.19" smaller than the F(x) tech pro 1, with similar bezels, so at least for me, would still be just about usable with one hand.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nh1402 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Dimensions: 154 x 73.6 x 13.98 mm
Even my original Pixel feels a hair too big for my taste, and it's a good 10mm shorter, 4mm narrower, and nearly 5mm less thick than the pro1
Staying hopeful...
I am just comparing this against Dragonbox Pyra: 139 mm x 87 mm x 32 mm. Fairly close, just about two times thicker. In short, entirely different devices: AMOLED+Capacitive vs LCD+Resistive, slider vs flip, 6GB vs 4GB, phone vs handheld. And yet, very close to each other as well... Linux, open-source, friendly.

Will see if I end up getting both of them, in the end. I have already pre-ordered Pyra (no, not mobile edition - I don't like mobile chips being soldered to mainboard) [and Neo900, of course - several of them, in fact]. And I hope to see Maemo Leste running on all of them.

Thank you. Best wishes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Per aspera ad astra...

[Edit]
And where is Oceania on Pre-order page? I am in Australia. Not in: UK/HK, USA, Europe, Japan and China.
[/Edit]

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
...[and Neo900, of course - several of them, in fact]....
MOB: (squealing) Oooh! He said it again! Ooooh!

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

Last edited by peterleinchen; 2019-04-02 at 12:38.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Don't grumble, Peter, do a whistle

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:

Tags
a good rabbit, fxtec, hwkbd, keyboard, livermorium, n950 revival, never gives up, qwerty, readyfx, silly rabbit