Active Topics

Notices

So far having no problem with Skype. Can make video call even when other party has no camera and can see it perfect or even when signed off (TESTED ALREADY!) . It just getting disconnected when nobody answers the call but my camera is on.
Attached Images

the video call only seems to work with the latest windows version 4.2 I tried the latest mac version and the next to latest linux version 2.1.0.41
an only win ver worked

video only worked with win ver 4.2 latest mac and linux ver 2.1.0.41 did not work there is a linux version 2.1.0.81 that I did not try yet

Originally Posted by dwould View Post
So this limitation of n900-n900 or n900 to latest windows client makes this a pretty much non-feature for me. of those people I know with skype very few are windows users, and those who are are probably not up to date with versions.

this is a bit of a dissapointment, I'll have ot try to get everyone using google talk instead, which did work fine.
Agree , I have to stick eith 3.8 version since the I have a USB device that connects to Skype. Arggghhhh, now needs to upgrade to version 4.

If you would like to give your video from n900 to the skype person (I will need to assume the other party is using skype 4.2).

If the other party does not have a webcam enabled -> there is a possibility that your n900 skype will not have the video option enabled.

So I use this trick to make it work.

Option 1
1. Ask the other party to use "screen sharing"
2. Right click on your skypename -> Share Your Screen -> Share Selection
3. Click on Start Sharing.

4. Then your n900 will ring -> Pick up the phone
and you will see the camera option will "appears" on your n900,
5. Click on the camera to send your video to your friend
6. Stop Screen sharing (from your friend)

then you will be able to send video from your n900 to your friend.

Option 2:
1. Establish a skype call to the person (a normal skype call)
2. Ask your Friend to use the screen sharing
Right click on your skypename -> Share Your Screen -> Share Selection
3. Click on Start Sharing.
4. Your N900 screen will change to allow video call.
5. start the camera on your n900
6. stop the sharing

PS: DO NOT try to use share your screen -> Full Screen because the call will be aborted.

Have fun for video calling :-)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tirtawn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 172 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ San Francisco, CA
Originally Posted by pety View Post
I have to totally agree. If I own an N900 I probably have friends/family who do not use windows pc's but macs and Linux. This is a bit of a disappointment really..
This is a SERIOUS disappointment really. Three months of anticipation while waiting and waiting for this feature in PR1.2 only to have this feature be so limited. Like the others, I and many of my fellow Skype users are on Macs. I'd bet money that Skype will update their Mac client about the same time Apple releases their new phone w/video calling.

Originally Posted by jsbigs View Post
This is a SERIOUS disappointment really. Three months of anticipation while waiting and waiting for this feature in PR1.2 only to have this feature be so limited. Like the others, I and many of my fellow Skype users are on Macs. I'd bet money that Skype will update their Mac client about the same time Apple releases their new phone w/video calling.
Did you ever think that perhaps the issue is a limit in the technology of the client on the mac etc rather than the N900.
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

Posts: 3 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Apr 2010 @ California
yeah as "oprocopio" said... other user must have web cam activated to make video call. It worked fine for me... I tried it with couple of friends.
Attached Images

Calm down ladies. If you need the latest version of Skype for windows, its obvious that they added something there to make it work. Do not get your panties in a bunch as updates will be released for Linux and Mac so y'all can get back to cyber jerking cross platform. Lets not mention that this is the first release of this feature from skype, and I'm sure your lovely phones will receive an update once they get all the negative feedback from this thread. Chances are they made it use the best codec for quality/data rate to ensure QOS.

Posts: 107 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ India . Mumbai
Video Call on Skype works just great! .....It didnt start after The PR1.2 update quickly.....Couple of restarts got it right!!!
still have to check Gtalk...

Tags
bada rox