Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by umberto_soprano View Post
I'm (mostly) lurking this forum since long time, and I read many times people complaining about your attitude or tone.
You may keep believing they're all stupid trolls or you may start to wonder why this happens only and exclusively to you. It's your choice...
See, it's one thing if I'm actually being a sarcastic jerk (it's fun, often productive, and I do it sometimes to keep myself entertained ), but entirely another when I'm actually interested in helping somebody and I get flamed, which seems to be happening quite a bit lately.

Either way, people need to get over it and stop trying to make every thread I post in about my "attitude". Just keep it to yourself, or PM me if it bothers you so damn much.

On to more productive things, has anybody taken a look at some of the other stuff in there besides the kernel and Hildon? A large part of this release is for Nokia to collect feedback on the architecture before it becomes too late to push some changes, so if you've got opinions (hopefully productive ones backed by evidence or experience ) then let 'em loose.

All note that this is a really big move for a company like Nokia and arguably a first in this industry. A positive outcome here will do a lot to convince Nokia of the usefulness of the Open Source way.

Last edited by GeneralAntilles; 2008-12-09 at 23:52.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,674 | Thanked: 171 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Anderson, IN
As much as I agree with you umberto.... its just not necessary to say that a fish swims. lol

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
A large part of this release is for Nokia to collect feedback on the architecture before it becomes too late to push some changes, so if you've got opinions (hopefully productive ones backed by evidence or experience ) then let 'em loose.
I'd love to do that; what can I do? Is it just a case of picking through the source code, or is there something I can actually run and test? And if there is, what do I need to make that happen?

Originally Posted by umberto_soprano View Post
Me, and at least another poster in this thread would leave our phones at home. As you said, it's nice to know I can make that call if I need.
Count me in, as given a T-mobile HSPA rollout in my town, I'd definitely ditch my phone for daily carry, though I'd carry it in my backpack when going where I might need emergency GSM access.

As long as T-mobile has only EDGE here, I'd have to look into pricing again, but I think it's pretty much a toss-up for me whether to keep T-mobile EDGE with the hassle of a separate phone, or spend more for AT&T 3G.

Originally Posted by Benson View Post
As long as T-mobile has only EDGE here, I'd have to look into pricing again, but I think it's pretty much a toss-up for me whether to keep T-mobile EDGE with the hassle of a separate phone, or spend more for AT&T 3G.
On that note, does anybody know how much AT&T is likely to charge for data? I'm paying $20/mo for data now, and I believe it'll only be $30/mo for a data plan for the tablet, but I'm not sure.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
My work AT&T data plan (while I still have it) is $35 per month unlimited, I believe. But that could be a corporate rate...

Posts: 1,674 | Thanked: 171 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Anderson, IN
I understand that the N810 wont be officially supported in the new OS, but will all of the apps have to be recompiled as well, as most had to be from chinook to diablo?

Originally Posted by munky261 View Post
I understand that the N810 wont be officially supported in the new OS, but will all of the apps have to be recompiled as well . . .
Yes, there will be API breaks for Fremantle.

Originally Posted by munky261 View Post
. . . as most had to be from chinook to diablo?
Nothing had to be recompiled, most of the transitional pain was due to the new autobuilder. Of course, now that we have the source packages for most everything, it means we wont have to wait for the developers to recompile next time around (well, barring API breakage).

Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
On that note, does anybody know how much AT&T is likely to charge for data? I'm paying $20/mo for data now, and I believe it'll only be $30/mo for a data plan for the tablet, but I'm not sure.
Well the PDA personal plus plan is $30 a month so you would have to assume that would be the rate but the fine print reads

"Prices reflect a $5/month discount for voice and require that an eligible wireless voice plan be activated and maintained on the same device. Stand-alone versions of these data plans are also available for an additional $5/month."
So it seems like it would be $35 a month for unlimited data only with no voice. It would be nice if you could use the medianet unlimited for $15 on the N900.