Notices

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
You might like to check your UK contract law on that position if explicit provision is given in terms of sale. Point was also that there is a world outside of the UK/US. Will leave the thread to continue though as the point was to ask for less wild acqusations.
http://lwn.net/Articles/134642/

Covers it quite well, reverse engineering is generally considered legal in most jurisdictions but it's a messy area. Agree this is OT - more important is whether this iPhone emulator is a hoax or not!

Last edited by Milhouse; 2010-01-04 at 14:53.

Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
Back on topic: Hasn't this iPhone/N64 emulator been shown to be a hoax? I can't see the videos as youtube is blocked at work but I've read the kid is playing a video of an N64 game (playing on a real N64) on his iPhone and just moving his hands to match the onscreen movement.
I haven't watched it either, but it's entirely possible that it's a hoax. However there are some rumours that some iphone guy is taking some stuff from the software discussed below:

The Mupen64/Mupen64Plus N64 emulators only support x86 right now - no ARM support.
There's a guy doing an ARM port for the Pandora. It's playable now. This is real, but it's absolutely no 'just recompile' as I think was said earlier in the thread. The emulator translates MIPS code to ARM code directly. http://www.gp32x.com/board/index.php...8-mupen64plus/

Originally Posted by mas5acre View Post
Well zodttd has some magic, its preliminary at best, This is on a better gpu than our n900s but n900s are actually faster cuz iphones are underclocked to a fourth of their gpu specs. He supports pandora and pandora is alot like the n900. So here's hoping.
Well actually this 'zodttd' was the iphone guy I mentioned in the previous post. But this guy zodttd doesn't have anything for Pandora, the guy that does the real work is the one in the thread I linked to above.

Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
Hasn't this iPhone/N64 emulator been shown to be a hoax? I can't see the videos as youtube is blocked at work but I've read the kid is playing a video of an N64 game (playing on a real N64) on his iPhone and just moving his hands to match the onscreen movement.

The Mupen64/Mupen64Plus N64 emulators only support x86 right now - no ARM support.
For one thing, n64iphone, the emulator in the video the OP mentioned, has been demonstrated working and 0.7.0 has been available for a couple of days. The hand-synced video of 3G4 was obviously fake, was supposed to be available to "beta testers" (AKA victims of spam/who knows what) in the spring, was "developed" by a 14-year old who has absolutely no emulation credibility, and has acted like a complete... well... 14 year old when he was told 3G4 was fake. The second thing is Mupen64Plus recently got an ARM dynamic recompiler from Ari64 of OpenPandora fame, and is running almost full speed on the Pandora - N64iphone is also based on this port. I've compiled and run it with almost no modifications on my iPAQ running Debian (which is much slower since it doesn't have OpenGL/ES). It should be a simple compile for the N900 as well.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gTan64 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 71 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ CT, USA
I wish nintendo would see the light. They have a huge catalog of games that there is a demand for and would be perfect for mobiles--especially with saved states enabling a player to continue right where they left off. They could open a rom store and charge a couple of bucks per title and would probably make a killing. A lot of work is already done for them with the open source emulators. But they want to keep their IP locked up and collecting dust instead.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chowdahhead For This Useful Post:
Posts: 36 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Austin, TX
I have setup my scratchbox to try to compile the mupen64plus source from ari64, the issue being what I grabbed still depends on openGL proper and is seemingly missing the openGL ES plugin (which, after just googling right now, I tracked down from this thread, will test when I get back home), I am lazily moving forward with reaping the benefits of other's hard work (read: recompiling under our SDK and testing )

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bmouring For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bmouring View Post
I have setup my scratchbox to try to compile the mupen64plus source from ari64, the issue being what I grabbed still depends on openGL proper and is seemingly missing the openGL ES plugin (which, after just googling right now, I tracked down from this thread, will test when I get back home), I am lazily moving forward with reaping the benefits of other's hard work (read: recompiling under our SDK and testing )
awesome news!

@bmouring - When I saw that 3-D Bounce demo on Youtube, the first thing I thought was - OMG, N64 will be emulated on the N900.

If you (or anyone else) could make this happen, I would be excited beyond words. More power to you, please keep us updated!

Originally Posted by Devil View Post
i know this question is not to be asked here but why on earths name would it be portrait mode???? graphics of the iphone cant handle it otherwise??
and how about drnoksnes only a square in the middle of the n900s screen?
what is it with these emulators the controls already suck BIG TIME and then handicapping everything even more with this ********.
is it just me or doesnt anyone get this :S i mean there probably is a reason for it but its just.. stupid.
drnoksnes supports full screen and fit to window now. Of course running FS tthe aspect ratio is wrong. Did you think about that?

^^^
i downloaded drnoksnes yesterday from app manager and was playing super mario world and it was in the middle of the screen, i cant do it
full screen :S