Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by balihb View Post
How important the closed parts are?
If I understand it right, the n8x0 drivers will be ported to the latest mainline kernel thanks to the fine work of the MER developers.
Doubt that'll happen until rest of N8x0 kernel is mainlined, which may be never.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
Doubt that'll happen until rest of N8x0 kernel is mainlined, which may be never.
ok, but if the drivers are ported to the maemo 5 kernel, there must be at least one nokia employee who will be king enough to recompile the whole maemo 5 for the n8x0.
ok. I can see now that hoping in such a thing is stupid.

There was someone (if I remember correctly) who was trying to port the n8x0 drivers to the mainline kernel, in his spare time last summer.

I'll never stop hoping that one day I'll be able to compile and use a vanilla kernel n800.

Thanks, and keep up the good work! I'm so excited to see the 3d support!

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
If it is possible to make the kernel work-in-progress part public then please do. Quietly sitting on the sources is not ideal.
I don't know what it is going on at the moment, but it should be possible. In my correspondence with TI more than a month ago, they confirmed that they would open the drivers under GPL.

The Following User Says Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
We need a crack team to keep pushing where bri3d was going. Yes, it is supposedly for Android, but the work is very relevant for this kind of thing...

So far everyone trying to do work to get the N8x0 stuff to work in a mainline kernel gets only so far, and then they run out of steam...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qole View Post
So far everyone trying to do work to get the N8x0 stuff to work in a mainline kernel gets only so far, and then they run out of steam...
As soon as I get my N810, that's probably going to be one of the first things I do. I almost finished porting the HP iPAQ H2200 kernel board code, which was stuck at Linux 2.6.21 on the handhelds.org CVS tree, to 2.6.33. I was planning on submitting it to mainline once I finished the framebuffer/LCD code, but that might not happen since I'm getting an N810 now. I'm still searching for one; I haven't purchased anything yet... Hopefully the source for the OpenGL driver will be out by the time I get it - I have a lot of things planned!

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to gTan64 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
gTan64:

Just make sure you make your HP iPAQ H2200 kernel board code patches publicly available! I don't have one of those, nor do I plan to get one, but I hate seeing that kind of work lost on any platform!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
I have to sell my iPAQ before I get my N810. Since it might be a matter of weeks before I get my N810, I'm probably going to finish the kernel for my iPAQ so its next owner (one of you? hey, it runs Linux!) can have more fun with it than I did - heck, I even got a N64 emulator* on it! As much as I want mainline, the Handhelds 2.6.21 kernel isn't that bad. I "only" want ramzswap, the gpio sysfs interface, overclocking, signalfd() so I can update udev and HAL on my Debian install, and 2D graphics acceleration. Doable I guess.

*running at ~2 FPS, but still somewhat playable. (Yes, I know "playable" is a stretch... )

Last edited by gTan64; 2010-01-01 at 00:17. Reason: typo

Stskeeps:

The MBX drivers are running on plain Diablo, right? I'm assuming they haven't been tested on Mer & friends yet... How much cleanup have you had to do, and how much is left? Just wondering - I'm trying to figure out how much updating it would need for a "port" to the mainline kernel or linux-omap... I'm hoping it's not too much.

What about TV out?

n810 has the same 3,5 mm Nokia A/V connector that n95 and n900 has.

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by gTan64 View Post
Stskeeps:

The MBX drivers are running on plain Diablo, right? I'm assuming they haven't been tested on Mer & friends yet... How much cleanup have you had to do, and how much is left? Just wondering - I'm trying to figure out how much updating it would need for a "port" to the mainline kernel or linux-omap... I'm hoping it's not too much.
MBX drivers aren't N8x0 specific. They're for OMAP2.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.