Notices

Posts: 195 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ SF Bay Area, United States
Hi All,

I am glad to announce the release of VICaR to extras-devel repository. This application helps in dialing route international calls through a calling card.
Please read the instructions below and understand the risks before using the application. Thank you

Pre-Requisites:
1) N900 (apparently) with Qt4.6 libraries installed
2) extras-devel repository enabled
3) A calling card or Google Voice account or Skype-out number.
4) Optional: Make sure that you are able to make an international by dialing from the dialpad <Calling Card Number>p<International Number>.

Instructions:
1) Install VICaR from extras-devel
2) Launch VICaR from applications menu (or network for Catorize users). This will open up the configuration screen. (Attached screenshot)
3) Enable International call routing
4) Enter the toll-free or toll-access number for using the calling card.
5) In Country Codes to exclude, enter your local country code or the country codes that you don't want to dial using calling card. Separate multiple values with comma or carriage return. Example: +1,+91
6) In Advanced tab, you can setup the format of the DTMF for the destination number expected by your calling card. Each card uses a different format. I've tried to include 4 possible options. If you like to suggest more you are welcome.
7) Suffix after DTMF tone: Same cards ask you to enter # or * sign after dialing the international number. This character will be automatically added at the end of international number.
8) Delay before sending DTMF: Some cards don't allow you to enter the destination number immediately (they play some long boring messages). This setting will add more delay by inserting more pauses before dialing the destination number. The default one pause should be sufficient in most cases.
9) IMPORTANT: Click the 'Save' button. Otherwise configuration will not be saved. (Fixed in 0.2)
10) Usage: Dial a number prefixed with '+' from your phonebook or dialpad. This should initiate a direct call first, which gets disconnected immediately. Now another
call will be placed to the calling card number, once connected, the number you dialed will be sent as a DTMF tone.

Risks/Known Issues/Limitations:
1) As with most applications in extras-devel repository, this application might still have bugs and/or performance issues. It could potentially break your phone or cost you some money (read below).
2) IMPORTANT:

The functionality of the application is to monitor for DBus signals when a call is placed to international number. This may not be best approach but I started of with it. When a call is placed to a number, the application will verify whether it is an international number (and not excluded etc) and then it will disconnect the call and place a new call to the calling card number. Because of the way Dbus works, there could be some delay in disconnecting the first international call. This doesn't happen often but it could. In such cases, if the call goes through, your cellular company might charge you for international call. To avoid such risk, consider requesting a block on international calling from your phone connection with your cellular company (if you are only using calling cards and/or skype for international calls).
(Fixed in 0.4).

3) Two outgoing calls are recorded in your call log, one to the international number (first) and second to the calling card number. This is expected.
4) Currently PIN codes are not supported.
5) Calling card number should not be an intentional number and cannot contain pauses.
6) While typing in calling card number field, you should use Fn key (to type numbers only). (Fixed in 0.2)
7) Multiple simultaneous calls have not been tested.
8) If an incoming call is received at the exact moment the international call is being placed; the outgoing international call will be canceled.

Credits:
1) Aymeric Brisse - Developer and maintainer of Autodisconnect (my fav app). Borrowed gconf related code, used Autodisconnect as reference for developing my first ever mobile/linux/c++/Qt application. It has been a great learning experience. Thank you Aymeric
2) Vasily Zubarev - Maintainer of pycallblocker. Got the idea to use Dbus calls to mess around with phone functions. Thank you
3) Ram/ianaré /Mikhail - Offered some critical advice on Dev mailing list. Thank you guys.
4) christexaport - For suggesting the name VICaR. Thanks chris.
Attached Images

Last edited by scifi.guy; 2010-08-07 at 19:50. Reason: Updated instructions after VICaR 0.4 release

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to scifi.guy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 195 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ SF Bay Area, United States
The project URL is

https://garage.maemo.org/projects/vicar/

Please repost bugs if any and feature requests here.

Posts: 69 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Finland
This sounds like a great application as previously i had to write down the number every time i use a calling card.

I just have doubt what should i put in the advanced setting?

The Following User Says Thank You to drangina For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
fantastic application. only thing is i would is like certainty that my phone isnt dialling the international call directly.
and temporary blocking of int calls from my operator isnt the best way to do it.

anyway will give it a go. great effort.

The Following User Says Thank You to afaq For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by drangina View Post
I just have doubt what should i put in the advanced setting?
How do you generally dial/enter the international number after calling your calling card number? Some cards ask for "<Country Code> phone number", some ask for "011<Country Code>phone number".

So depending on your calling card system's requirement, you need to choose the number format as the "Format required for DTMF tone".

The setting "Delay before sending DTMF" can be left as 1 for most cases. Increasing this number is required only if the calling card system makes you wait for a long time before entering the phone number.

Maintainer of Markets Today (Yahoo Finance based desktop widget/app)

The Following User Says Thank You to scifi.guy For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by afaq View Post
only thing is i would is like certainty that my phone isnt dialling the international call directly.
and temporary blocking of int calls from my operator isnt the best way to do it.
I understand that the current approach is not the best. I am working on an enhancement request to integrate this app with contact page so that you can directly call the calling card number and pass the international number. This will avoid the risk of calling the international number directly. I am still doing my research on this idea and it will eventually be part of a future release.

Posts: 139 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Connecticut, United States
Originally Posted by scifi.guy View Post
I am working on an enhancement request to integrate this app with contact page so that you can directly call the calling card number and pass the international number. .
Does that mean, you can specify different rules(diff. calling cards) for different contacts, or one rule applies to all, the way it is now.

Originally Posted by alienhead View Post
Does that mean, you can specify different rules(diff. calling cards) for different contacts, or one rule applies to all, the way it is now.
It is going to be one rule for all (to begin with at least). When I get it to work, I'll think about the enhancements

thank you so much for this app! been thinking about getting something like this ever since i got my n900.

quick question, is there anyway to implement a '#' after automatically sending the DTMF tone with the app? I can do it manually or just wait a few more seconds, just thought it'd be nice to have, perhaps as an enhancement for the future?

Posts: 139 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Connecticut, United States
Originally Posted by scifi.guy View Post
It is going to be one rule for all (to begin with at least). When I get it to work, I'll think about the enhancements
That's cool, take your time. what more can i ask, as you have already given such a wonderful app, which made my life easier and made me like my N900 even more. Only complaint is, i don''t have to use my brain any more to remember the numbers to punch in the calling card and you are to blame