Poll: N900 vs Milestone
Poll Options
N900 vs Milestone

Originally Posted by rm42 View Post
Android 2.0 will support higher resolution displays, and the apps will follow right along. So I don't think there is anything to worry about on that front.

Look, I don't understand why you were so bothered by my comments. I think you expressed very well your reasons for thinking that the Droid is a better option for you. I agree, and I merely merely wanted to point out the one reason I think is most important - the fact that you can't see what makes the N900 a more capable mobile computer than any other smart phone in the market. On my second post I tried to show you some things that can be done on the N900, thanks to its mobile computer capabilities, that cannot be done on other smart phones. But those capabilities are not important for you. So, I don't understand why you think you need to wait to make a decision. The only thing I can think of that could hold you back is if you are thinking of taking advantage of the flood of applications that is bound to be developed for the N900 by the community. But, you did not mention that as a factor in your post.

So tell us, what is it about the N900 that you think is/may be more enticing for you than the Droid? What is holding you back from canceling it?
What gives you the impression that I continued to be "so bothered" by your comments? As I said, I found them snarky and condescending. You clarified (sort of), explained your position and I left it at that.

I can absolutely see why the N900 is more capable. However, as I said, I am not a developer. I suppose I'd describe myself as an advanced end-user who believes very much in open source/standards. Also, I'm a long time Linux user.

The reason I'm waiting to make a decision is because as General Antilles rightly said, the Droid isn't out yet. I need to see it in action before I make up my mind since the N900 still has clear advantages IMO (More open, more storage, integrated Skype and adobe flash NOW, etc.)

There are many factors which make me lean towards the Droid, but it isn't because I don't think the N900 is fantastic. I want a powerful, reasonably open phone, with a good camera and decent media player. Until the last weak or so, the N900 was really the only device I found which matches that description. Now, the Droid comes along, with similar hardware, similar camera with a better flash, bigger-capacitive screen, full(er) keyboard, bigger battery and in a slimmer design. Oh and I can buy it subsidized on my current provider which also happens to have the best 3g footprint in my area (Michigan).

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Qole, chrisexaport.. I have a confession.

I am that Nigerian lady.
Sorry about your deceased father, a dignitary and diplomat that i must've met in my travels around the hood in Arlington... Looking forward to the $15million check you've sent to me. I'll send you the 10% you require for administrative tasks, and wish you luck.

Err.. since when do you have to be a developer to be interested in the n900? I'm not a developer by any means and I would describe myself similar to you. An advanced end-user who believes very much in open source/standards. And I still prefer Maemo to the other operating systems (though I do believe Android will win in the long run simply for being on the most devices). But that's because OS wise, Maemo just fits me better than Android for now. Though I believe in getting the hardware and OS best for getting the job done per that user (yes.. even the iPhone). In your case Jaybomb999, you also have to consider the network. In that case, Droid (or Sholes I wanna call it since that's what I've been tracking it as) may be the better choice for you. I know I wouldn't be getting the n900 if TMobile didn't have service in the areas I frequent. I just luck out because TMobile focuses alot of their 3G buildup on the East Coast.

I do wonder how being on a platform with multiple hardware will help/hurt it though. Applications developed for Android (and similarly Windows Mobile) are not usually developed for one device in mind. So it could just be some people develop apps for the lowest denominator, thus that hardware may never get used. On the other hand some people will develop alls just for that select few phones.

I also think Android is heavier on the battery life (at least that's what my friend with a G1 tells me) so depending on how optimized Motorola tinkered with the OS, it could just be that it may have a bigger battery but less battery life overall (before user customizations step in).

Guess we'll all see when all these devices are out eh?

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Last edited by Laughing Man; 2009-10-20 at 00:33.

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Err.. since when do you have to be a developer to be interested in the n900? I'm not a developer by any means and I would describe myself similar to you. An advanced end-user who believes very much in open source/standards. And I still prefer Maemo to the other operating systems (though I do believe Android will win in the long run simply for being on the most devices). But that's because OS wise, Maemo just fits me better than Android for now. Though I believe in getting the hardware and OS best for getting the job done per that user (yes.. even the iPhone). In your case Jaybomb999, you also have to consider the network. In that case, Droid (or Sholes I wanna call it since that's what I've been tracking it as) may be the better choice for you. I know I wouldn't be getting the n900 if TMobile didn't have service in the areas I frequent. I just luck out because TMobile focuses alot of their 3G buildup on the East Coast.

I do wonder how being on a platform with multiple hardware will help/hurt it though. Applications developed for Android (and similarly Windows Mobile) are not usually developed for one device in mind. So it could just be some people develop apps for the lowest denominator, thus that hardware may never get used. On the other hand some people will develop alls just for that select few phones.

I also think Android is heavier on the battery life (at least that's what my friend with a G1 tells me) so depending on how optimized Motorola tinkered with the OS, it could just be that it may have a bigger battery but less battery life overall (before user customizations step in).

Guess we'll all see when all these devices are out eh?
I didn't mean to say you had to be a developer to like the N900. My point was that the fact of Maemo being more open and therefore easier to develop for, is not an advantage to me.

Fair point about the battery.

When all devices are out in a few weeks, I'll let you know what I decide.

Originally Posted by JayBomb999 View Post
...Now, the Droid comes along, with similar hardware, similar camera with a better flash, bigger-capacitive screen, full(er) keyboard, bigger battery and in a slimmer design. Oh and I can buy it subsidized on my current provider which also happens to have the best 3g footprint in my area (Michigan).
It's still a dual-LED flash, so did you find a comparative test somewhere? Whether capacitive is better is debatable, or circumstantial. Slimmer, better existing coverage, and subsidized, so better in those aspects. Weight, we don't know yet.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nexus7 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Nexus7 View Post
It's still a dual-LED flash, so did you find a comparative test somewhere? Whether capacitive is better is debatable, or circumstantial. Slimmer, better existing coverage, and subsidized, so better in those aspects. Weight, we don't know yet.
Really? I read it was Xenon (also it looks like one). Thanks for the info.

Ah I see, thanks for clarifying on what you meant by developer. If you do get Droid, let me know what you think of it. I'm likely going with the n900 (no plan to go to Verizon here, and Android doesn't really suit me yet).

And @christexaport

>.>

<.<

Edit: And I don't think the n900 will be subsidized by TMobile. But I think TMobile will allow you to subsidize devices over a 20 mont period. Don't know if that means you can bring your device to them and sign a contract to subsidize it..Don't know what it means exactly

Would be interesting if this were the case.. e.g. you sign a contract, TMobile gives you that much money to buy the device (iPhone, n900, whatever) but you gotta pay them back over 20 months.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Last edited by Laughing Man; 2009-10-20 at 00:49.

Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Originally Posted by mdl View Post
Thanks for this question. It helped me clarify my own quirky interests in the Nokia N900. IMO, you're not missing anything in a phone "as such" in Android. In fact, the phone/mobile functionality in Android is no doubt better than the N900 (barcode scans, voice dialiing, integration with google voice, phone-related apps, etc.).

My own interest in the Nokia N900 is less as a phone than as a pocket computer. So I think some of these debates --- Android vs. Maemo --- come down to whether one is primarily interested in a phone or a pocketable version of a Linux/Unix desktop. And perhaps if you're not a *nix-head, then Android phones will seem every bit as capable as pocket computers, especially with good Google docs integration. Alas, I happen to be a *nix-head.

As far as I can tell, Google didn't want to create a typical *nix/POSIX userspace because they want very tight integration with their own services. Hence, Android (and the forthcoming Chrome OS) assume that you're not going to want to install a lot of funky local apps, but rather use your phone to access gmail, google talk, and Google docs. Like the iPhone, Android is based on the premise that mobile apps are an entirely different species than desktop apps. Which arguably makes the Android a better smartphone for people who want that. It also makes Android more mainstrem, since the combination of thin client + cloud services Google provides are meant to compete directly with Microsoft's offerings. But all that makes Android less open as a mobile "computing device."

A locked-down environment also helps Google protect the closed parts of the system (e.g., the Google-specific apps), as was evident in the recent legal actions taken against CyogenMod.

I'm sure someone will be happy to correct me if I'm wrong on any of this.
If you did not nail it, you at least knocked it in pretty good

Android is simple for the masses- not really intended for geeks at any level from the user end. The "simpler" an OS is to program for, the more contained and constrained it tends to be.

Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Originally Posted by joshua.maverick View Post
but its so thin, i wish the n900 was thinner... Bah.
It would need to be wider like the Sholes to displace the circuits and etch paths for connectors in other areas. That being said, why doen't the N900 have a four row KB? Seems like plenty of slider space for more KB.

Both devices may take up the same volume of space, or the N900 is smaller.

Last edited by Rushmore; 2009-10-20 at 01:20.

Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
It would need to be wider like the Sholes to displace the circuits and etch paths for connectors in other areas. That being said, why doen't the N900 have a four row KB? Seems like plenty of slider space for more KB.

Both devices may take up the same volume of space, or the N900 is smaller.
Its already been explained by nokia several times - do a search and I am sure you can find the reason.
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

Tags
comparison, competition, droid, fight, milestone, motorola droid, motorola milestone, n900, nokia n900