Active Topics

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
Just tried to log in to check my order status and the Jolla shop will not allow my login? When going through the forgotten pw link the site keeps redirecting me back through to the submit your email address link. Hmmmm :\
Then they won´t accept any new purchases so a incorrect link doesn't matter much

Anyone want to put money on a new jolla shop at indiegogo?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by Tigerroast View Post
This is a sincere question. What US regulations are interfering with Jolla's ability to ship phones over here? I can't think of any that could.
Patents. Patents. Patents. Patent wars, like Apple x Samsung, Microsoft x everybody, etc. Including about software.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Then they won´t accept any new purchases so a incorrect link doesn't matter much

Anyone want to put money on a new jolla shop at indiegogo?
Nooooo! Don't say such things, mine is bought and paid for

Hoping this is just a maintenance issue

Originally Posted by rcolistete View Post
Patents. Patents. Patents. Patent wars, like Apple x Samsung, Microsoft x everybody, etc. Including about software.
I said US regulations, not patent trolls. I already knew about those already, and the fact that the US facilitates them is kinda sad. A great example is when Phillips sued Nintendo over its patent on the Wii sensor bar.

If any company wanted to patent troll Jolla over whatever, then surely they don't have to wait for them to begin shipping to the US. When Apple filed for a patent on the magnetic plug for their Macbook, that gave them the power to sue a lot of Asian manufacturers in the business of making electric cooking pots.

Anyway, I still fail to see what's preventing Jolla from shipping to the US, whether it's regulations or patent trolls.

Last edited by Tigerroast; 2014-11-23 at 16:48. Reason: typo

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
Nooooo! Don't say such things, mine is bought and paid for

Hoping this is just a maintenance issue
Do you fear to lose your 164 order Im sure you have it in no time.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Do you fear to lose your 164 order Im sure you have it in no time.
Just wanting to know where it is, is all. Ha

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
If any company wanted to patent troll Jolla over whatever, then surely they don't have to wait for them to begin shipping to the US.
Not true. American jurisdiction is valid on the American soil only. Take an example of Microsoft who has bunch of generic software patents - software patents are not valid in Europe, therefore Jolla cannot be sued for infringement here. When you see patent wars, the result is usually either an agreement (like when Android manufacturers are paying ~$15 for each device to Microsoft) or a ban on sales in that particular country (like some Samsung devices in the US) followed by a fine.

We are not talking any crazy speculation; Jolla's management has stated in interviews several times that it is, in fact, the reason for not selling the phone in the US.

It is not the sole reason, though - the second reason (and also an important one) is the state of the US phone market. Unlike any other market I know, it is completely controlled by service providers - people don't buy phones in a (e)shop, but from Verizon/ATT/etc. . Therefore it is almost impossible to reach any significant sales for a startup.

Last edited by nodevel; 2014-11-23 at 18:03.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:
Twist the knife some more, Jolla. Skip some more rocks across the pond, why don't you.

It's already enough that they don't support NA 3G bands, but they're not even willing to ship to NA? Jeez...
They didn't spend time working with FCC, so why do you complain? In the best case their next handset will use proper universal LTE modem which will work in NA, but I wouldn't hold my breath for their official support.

This is a sincere question. What US regulations are interfering with Jolla's ability to ship phones over here? I can't think of any that could.
Not regulators - patent racketeers. Jolla so far avoided triggering their wrath. This includes all kind of trolls and big thugs like M$ and Apple.

Recently however, M$ received a serious blow to their patent racket, when China published the list of patents with which M$ shakes down Android manufacturers. Now, many will try to invalidate them giving M$ racket a hard time. Also, recently Supreme Court in US invalidated tons of software patents by declaring that slapping "on the computer" to an obvious idea doesn't make it patentable. Not surprisingly, tons of M$ and Apple patents are of this very kind. This will weaken their grip and improve the situation for startups like Jolla.

Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
It is not the sole reason, though - the second reason (and also an important one) is the state of the US phone market. Unlike any other market I know, it is completely controlled by service providers - people don't buy phones in a (e)shop, but from Verizon/ATT/etc. . Therefore it is almost impossible to reach any significant sales for a startup.
This is a lame excuse, since Jolla are selling their devices independently anyway, so providers are completely irrelevant. Patents are the main reason. And, in US people do buy a lot of devices independently of providers these days. With decline of CDMA which tied devices to carriers and with rise of LTE this became more widespread. And with wider usage of universal modems which work with all networks this will only grow further.

Last edited by shmerl; 2014-11-23 at 19:42.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to shmerl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 334 | Thanked: 2,004 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ Fin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fzX-FV-W8o
Uploaded all Jolla info dias here. (Not in right order)

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to eekkelund For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by eekkelund View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fzX-FV-W8o
Uploaded all Jolla info dias here. (Not in right order)
Love Marc's presentation. He seems like a solid Guy.

Especially loved his into: 1,2,3 SLUUSH ok Huuuuhhh, we could probably do better but I let it go this time"

This announcement was far more professional all over( except for the incorrect countdown ) than the first phone so jolla has learned something or hired some professions. The announcement with the CEO in a pink suit in bar where the sound/image sucked is not the best if you trying to reach the masses

But hey. Sail on jolla. Can't wait for jPhone ll! Great work all along.

1...2...3...People Power

Last edited by Dave999; 2014-11-23 at 20:12.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:

Tags
bulks