Active Topics

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
LOL I just realized that now.
I only read the 2nd post...
Looks like Estel got the ball rolling by not understanding the OP.
And I kept it going, sorry OP.

Originally Posted by hawaii View Post
What the hell does this have to do with the OP's question? This has nothing to do with Aegis. Lock state is generally stored somewhere on or near to the ROM baseband chip. There is no real way to reliably write lock state on the N900, it's going to be even more unlikely on the N9.

I don't see why the N9 wouldn't be capable of being SIM unlocked via code, if indeed operators decide to lock it.

N900 was done via #PW+CODE+1# as far as I know. The better option is to simply buy it unlocked
Thanks
The reason why I asked was because (obviously I guess) its cheaper to buy locked to a network and wondered how hard it was to unlock. Seems like its entirely dependent on the operators? ie there is no software method to unlock at the moment.

Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Well, it is related to the OP, as there are two kinds of lock:
- sim-lock: you can't use sim from other operator
- firmware lock: you can't use firmware that was not modified by your operator

The second is definitely aegis related, and may be of some concern for the OP (knowingly or not).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to erendorn For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by erendorn View Post
Well, it is related to the OP, as there are two kinds of lock:
- sim-lock: you can't use sim from other operator
- firmware lock: you can't use firmware that was not modified by your operator

The second is definitely aegis related, and may be of some concern for the OP (knowingly or not).
Is it possible to unlock the N9? (ie sim restriction/tied to a network?).
Emphasis added. It is not remotely relevant to the original question in any fashion.

The Following User Says Thank You to hawaii For This Useful Post:
Emphasis added. It is not remotely relevant to the original question in any fashion.
I think this refers to "operator lock" versus "screen lock", or "personnal pin lock", or any other "lock" relevant to the phone, and not "operator sim lock" vs "operator firmware lock". But maybe I'm mistaken. Also, emphasis added on "knowingly or not"

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to erendorn For This Useful Post:
What are you on about?

He said, SIM restriction/tied to a network. This means the ability to put in a SIM card from a network, not owned by the operator.

There is no other way to rephrase his questions to suit discussion of Aegis, open mode or any firmware-related restrictions.

You are mistaken.

You are mistaken.
In any event, I think the OP's question is answered, which is probably the thing of greatest importance here.

Originally Posted by buurmas View Post
In any event, I think the OP's question is answered, which is probably the thing of greatest importance here.
How dare you.
Attached Images

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hawaii For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by erendorn View Post
I think this refers to "operator lock" versus "screen lock", or "personnal pin lock", or any other "lock" relevant to the phone, and not "operator sim lock" vs "operator firmware lock". But maybe I'm mistaken. Also, emphasis added on "knowingly or not"
Yeah, I noticed the "knowingly or not", & could see what you were getting at
But who cares, now he has 2 streams of important info/facts that he probably knew nothing about.
And he didn't have to read/start other threads to attain one of them, all the better

Last edited by jalyst; 2011-10-24 at 16:02.

What are you on about?

He said, SIM restriction/tied to a network. This means the ability to put in a SIM card from a network, not owned by the operator.

There is no other way to rephrase his questions to suit discussion of Aegis, open mode or any firmware-related restrictions.

You are mistaken.
- "/" in usual language means "or" (neither "xor" nor "and")
- you cannot be tied to a "network" unless your phone only does one frequency. I freely assumed that he meant "tied to a network operator" which contains sim and firmware lock. It may well mean "specifically tied to use the phone only on the networks owned by my operator", which then does not contains firmware lock.

two conclusions here:
- Maybe I'm mistaken, but you can't assess it from the OP only
- I'm wasting my time, and yours (and anybody reading that: sorry), but you quoted xkcd first

Tags
unlock n9