Closed Thread
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
@Darken: I'm taking this (very interesting) discussion over here.

Woot! I brought up OpenOffice! Took slightly less than forever, but it worked! I created a test document, with multiple fonts and an inserted graphic, and i had OpenOffice rescale it. Text wrap around the graphic. Way cool.

I'm in Iceweasel typing this.

I have an igo bt keyboard for my n800. Works as usual.

To get localtime copied, i went to OS2008 xterm, copied /etc/localtime to /tmp,
brought up a text window in Debian, ran su, which let me be root, and coped /tmp/localtime to /etc. These two don't see the same /etc, but do see a common /tmp. Maybe these instructions were on something other than the first page... But anyway, the displayed time jumped to correct time right away. I should mention that /debian did not show up in OS2008. No idea why not.

Last edited by suitti; 2008-07-21 at 04:35.

For a clean unistall, does it suffice to unistall the "easy-Deb-Chroot" package via the Application manager - does it remove all the various 'chroot' bits?

-- Denis

openoffice.org 2.4.1-6 migrated to lenny (testing today). It features added java support (for reports, jdbc connectivity etc). Effectively Openoffice for armel is now featurewise identical to x86/amd64 versions. If this new version is significantly slower than the previous version, please note and we can revert this change.

Also, if you want to reach more debian/armel users, you should use debian-arm@lists.debian.org mailing list, this forum will only reach a small subset of users

The Following User Says Thank You to keitai For This Useful Post:
HI I have a problem. Everything works fine except iceweasel, abiword, and synaptics package manager. Iceweasel and abiword won't startup. Not even after waiting more then 15 minutes. And when i open synaptics package manager all is see is blocks instead of text. So i believe something is not ok. Anyone know how to fix this? I am a bit of a newbe on linux.

In trying to convert a 248 KB .doc file to .pdf using OpenOffice, I end up with the following error message "Error saving the document xxxxxxx / Resource Exhausted / No more space on device."

Would this shortage of temporary storage be within the Debian image file being used for chroot?

-- Denis

My guess would be memory or img/hard drive space.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by delaroca View Post
In trying to convert a 248 KB .doc file to .pdf using OpenOffice, I end up with the following error message "Error saving the document xxxxxxx / Resource Exhausted / No more space on device."

Would this shortage of temporary storage be within the Debian image file being used for chroot?
Yes, this is because your /tmp is too small. I'm fixing this in the next release, but you can fix it with this command.

Hey all,

I've updated the easy chroot package today to version 0.6.

EDIT: DOWNLOAD FIXED NOW

easy-deb-chroot-0.6-2_armel.deb

The Bundyo-Benson-Build

This version uses Bundyo's 'hostwin' app to open the IceWM window (and give it a nice icon). The most important thing about this is that there are no more dependencies on Python packages. You can install the easy chroot package on a stock tablet now. It also includes Benson's much more flexible chroot script, which allows you to change your chroot settings by changing the settings in the /home/user/.chroot file.

This update also includes:
  • Kilian's clock fix: the clock now reads correctly in IceWM
  • fatalsaint's xmodmap: N810 keys now work correctly in IceWM
  • debernardis' /tmp resize: PDF creation and complex doc printing now work
  • Darken's GTK stylus fix: once the correct packages are installed (see below*), tap-and-hold in AbiWord and other GTK apps will act as a right-click.
  • IceWM preference tweaks: network activity now shows, matchbox-keyboard now starts from toolbar button (instead of xvkbd), kazehakase* starts from toolbar button (instead of iceweasel)

This package does NOT update the big Debian image file. Don't re-download the big package if you've already done so.

* Extra Debian Packages You'll Want To Install Manually:

In order to get tap-and-hold right-click in IceWM AbiWord, you need to run the "Debian chroot" menu item in OS2008 and enter the following:

Code:
apt-get -y install libts-0.0-0 libgtkstylus
To use kazehakase (a faster, lighter-weight browser with Java support) as your browser, you need to run the "Debian chroot" menu item in OS2008 and enter the following:

Code:
apt-get -y install kazehakase
If you have errors about not finding things when trying to do either of the above installs, you need to do this first, then try again:

Code:
apt-get update
IceWM config files:
The /home/user/.icewm/ folder now contains some IceWM config files. the "toolbar" file lets you change the "quick launch" buttons, and the "prefoverride" file has a few settings changed so you can learn by example.

For the future:

These things will be automatically in place (along with the updated full OpenOffice, working sound, etc) in the next big Debian file download, but I want to see if we can get some other aspects ironed out before doing that big update and forcing everyone to download the big package again. I'm hoping we'll be able to make a "Debian patch" package that will update and install any needed packages in your existing image so you won't have to download again...

EXTRA NOTE:

Please see this post for more important information!

Last edited by qole; 2008-07-29 at 03:43. Reason: Fixed download!

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
I didn't have to download the big image file. However, when I chroot now it asks me for password. I tried "rootme" but it didn't work. Is there a way to rest the password?

Closed Thread

Tags
debian, easy debian, obsolete