Posts: 152 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ West Virginia
Has there been some words that TMO will be shut off after Date X/Y/ZZ? I'm hoping my N900 lasts long enough that I won't need to upgrade any time soon (running a year now and no issues a reflash didn't fix) but if I was forced to upgrade, the N9 is the only logical choice to keep any semblance of the same OS.... but as a consumer I'd be eyeing dual core fun, which just spells out a short lifespan for the N9 as well.

Overall sad, but at least the discussion exists so maybe people can find out where everyone went when the lights get turned off...

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
I dont wanna be rude but IMHO there is only two options avaible in case of n900 and todays maemo:

1. we can continue sitting here dream about n900 and the "old community"

2. or we can move on to meego and make sure n900 CE kicks asses and make sure some harmattan apps also will work on n900. YES I know n900 lacks memory etc... but with help of a bigger community and alot of optimizing test etc I am sure n900 can live atleast one year from now. Instead of dying as soon as n9 gets released.

as I have already said before I see TMO/Maemo in its old form as half dead already. there is so much frustration here and whining from all of us and many time pointless discussion thats leads nowhere.

lets make a refrehing start by going meego just my opinion. And yes I know very well I also can be a pain in the *** when geting sick of endless discussions

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2011-08-16 at 21:19.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Whatever you decide to do, you better hurry up. The N9 is here in less than a month, and if this site is not the place for tips etc for that device, it sure will be empty in here VERY fast.

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
Whatever you decide to do, you better hurry up. The N9 is here in less than a month, and if this site is not the place for tips etc for that device, it sure will be empty in here VERY fast.
Let the people with gadget lust get led . . . whereever, and leave here the people who want open source software for their mobile device.

By the way, the next (regularly scheduled) maemo.org election will start soon, and will probably be done before the N9 is widely available.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
Let the people with gadget lust get led . . . whereever, and leave here the people who want open source software for their mobile device.

By the way, the next (regularly scheduled) maemo.org election will start soon, and will probably be done before the N9 is widely available.
Gadget lust, that almost sounds - erotic

Come on, sober up. Only sentimentalist will develop for/on the N900 when the N9 is available. Life goes on.

Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
Gadget lust, that almost sounds - erotic

Come on, sober up. Only sentimentalist will develop for/on the N900 when the N9 is available. Life goes on.
Beware of Greeks bearing gifts.

Posts: 227 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Lyon, France
Originally Posted by qole View Post
And working with the capacitive N950 has taught me that desktop Linux is tricky to use with a resistive screen, where you can use the stylus to hit the tiny little buttons, but almost impossible to use with a capacitive screen, where you've got to use your fat fingers.
How about using a capacitive touch screen stylus? (Search stylus capacitive on Google...)

Posts: 513 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Sweden
We could suggest to move this forum to formeego.org. I don't think it is decided yet if formeego will be the new main community site for meego but imho it should be.

Edit: For those of you that haven't heard it yet formeego.org will be the place where the community repositories are hosted. The site is all empty now. http://www.formeego.org/
But the WM7 "horse" has a blood lineage tracing back to donkeys such as WM6.5, 6.1, 6.0, 5.1 that was fully neglected for too many years and Microsoft did sweet F all to maintain it (still running on Pocket IE4/6!!).

Last edited by xerxes2; 2011-08-16 at 23:57.

The Following User Says Thank You to xerxes2 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
That is the worst decision I ever saw. It seems like a scam. They could change the dns of one subdomain if they didn't want to host the apps by themselves. This name is just like the counterfeit batteries that are identical with the original but say for nokia with really small letters.

What a disappointment...

EDIT: meegocommunity.org would be way better

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by MoJo View Post
In any case the only move worth making is something that is hardware agnostic at this point. Since the hardware is aging, no sense in trying to develop things further that tie you down still to the N900.

So then as Qole said, the most sensible move is to MeeGo forums, and developer community. Matter of fact, some from this community have already made that migration from TMO to MeeGo. In time hardware companies will pop up to take on the MeeGo mantle, and for all it's differences with Maemo it still is the Linux based mobile OS to choose that fits the needs of most in this community. Piling over to MeeGo means we can play a vital role in developing awareness, a sense of community, and recreating the openness we highly regarded with our N900's on new Hardware as different companies take up MeeGo. It will be the best primed position to fall back to so as to reinforce the ideals we want to cherish. Matter of fact, developers should get into MeeGo coding and read up on the Intel literature if they haven't yet. I still wonder if they are still offering that free Developer access to making an account and obtaining resources to there AppUp store.

The Cordia project should also proceed in being less dependent on a N900 hardware ... it probably will become the UI for some XYZ hardware running MeeGo in the future. We can actually create a portrait mode that should of been with our own concepts ... if we can adapt Cordia to not only landscape phones but to also include slate only phones and improve on that experience, it would be awesome in its own regard. The failing with CSSU, and CE is that it really is tied down to hardware, and matter of fact it is discontinued hardware. Obviously the endeavors taken for those projects brought with them unique insights that can be adapted to different hardware, but those are organizational in nature ... the code is still attached to the hardware.

In summary, now is exactly the time to not be attached to a hardware, but rather see to it the broader idea of a fully powered Linux based mobile OS isn't forgotten like Access Linux, and Else. We need to go to MeeGo and strengthen it, so that would be OEM's say "Hey there is a market demand and a community for this OS that already has apps and developers but no phones!"

No need to go and start another forum because we only have the OS left, and the hardware is gone. If this happens it just dilutes the mind share available to MeeGo. Here is a solid community wasting it's time on a relic of a hardware rather than making sure now the only fallback left isn't given a focused effort is what it will look like. So for me, my move is to MeeGo forums slowly but gradually and I urge others to follow suit.
If anyone tries to start up a site for software development only and there is no device involved then i tell you it will be an empty site.

It is all very well for developers to talk about developing a new eco system and further MeeGo but where is this imaginary device? WHAT device will you be writing too that thousands of users will be using?.

Can somebody start talking about a device because without it your all going to be hellish lonely !.

Tags
community, discussion, doom!, future, gloom!, meego, patience, qole rocks, smilebehappy:)