Please post your opinions on the above mentioned devices below.

The Palm Lifedrive is cheaper than the Nokia 7700 and has both wifi and a 4gb hdd.

Other please post..

now that the lifedrive 2.0 software update from palm is out, the TX and the lifedrive are on par software wise, so for most comparisons, we can treat them as equivalent.

The LD/TX start up quicker and have a lot of available software. For instance, as things stand right now, there are email clients available for the palm that are much better than those available for the 770. Also, the palm has many niche applications, e.g. the astronomy tools I use, which at the moment the 770 lacks.
Even though the palm and the 770 have similar amounts of application memory, the 770 processes seem to be much more heavy-weight than palm apps, which is why some have complained about the 770 having too small an amount of memory.
The LD, but not the TX, also has a 4GB HD which is pretty sweet. The palm LD has a 400MHz strong arm processor - the TX a 320 MHz [or something like that], so the life drive in particular benefits from the faster clock speed. [no, I haven't run any benchmarks comparing the nokia's omap processor and the intel xscale processor, but the palm seems a lot faster to me.] The palm also has wake-up timers that allow it to function as a calendar/alarm which are missing on the 770.

The 770 on the other hand, has a much nicer form factor than the LD [but not the tx]. The screen is so much better on the 770. Battery life is exceptional for a device the size of the 770 considering the screen size and use of wifi. The sensitivity of the palm wifi is not very good - the 770 is by contrast very good. Using wifi, the 770 has much better battery life. The opera browser on the 770 is much better than any palm web browser. The 770 supports multitasking, within the limits of it's limited memory, while the palm can only multitask to a very limited degree using background processes. [can't switch back and forth between running procs on a palm, plus only a few programs support it, e.g. pocket tunes]

To recap, the palm is an mature device desparately in need of revolutionary change. The 770 is a new device just getting started with lots of untapped possibilities.

Given the Chinese-prison-slave-labor-level of Palm's hardware since the TE, it will be years before I ever part with money for another Palm. That, and FrankenGarnet has just become a monstrous kludge and a tired joke.

I now have both the TX and the 770. If you use any online media, the 770 by far out does the TX. The browser alone beats anything on the palm, and multitasking makes it a joy to use. But, the TX is great for calender and contacts. You just press the hardware button and up comes the calander. It's also smaller, lighter, and quicker for those purposes. And it has an alarm clock as waddell said.

What do you need to use these devices for?

I need the device to check email frequently and perhaps surf the web now and then. Dont you think that the Nokia 770 will have an alarm clock and a calendar in no time becuase it's all open source.

Posts: 148 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Stimutax, AZ
Yep. In fact there was an alarm function in the early 770 screenshot that got pulled for some reason. I'm sure it'll come back.

Originally Posted by cvreddy
I need the device to check email frequently and perhaps surf the web now and then. Dont you think that the Nokia 770 will have an alarm clock and a calendar in no time becuase it's all open source.

I think there is already a gpe calandar app for the 770 that can be loaded.

But , the alarm issue is more complicated. Palm devices have a small advantage here in that wake-up events can be scheduled, so you can turn the device off and the alarm will still function. AFAIK, the 770 lacks this feature so it would have to remain on, at least in standby mode. I strongly suspect that nokia views the 770 as a complement to a cell phone and that your phone, e.g. a N80 or other series 60 phone, will handle the pim functions.

Of course, I could be completely wrong about all of this as I haven't studied the developer docs yet. I'd be happy to be wrong.