Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
@kojacker

In my recollection: When MeeGo was announced, many people were upset (ie Maemo ending, no upgrade to MeeGo, etc). Many community members refuted these complaints by referring to the fact that Nokia's vision to use QT would result in far more apps for our N900's as it would be easy to compile for multiple targets (ie the N900) at the same time.

Something along the lines of "Don't worry, we'll get a community version of MeeGo to run on the N900. If you don't upgrade to MeeGo, don't worry, QT will allow lots of apps to be ported easily to the N900, so stop worrying / complaining / etc"

This message was picked up by many others, and essentially turned into QT will save the N900, it'll be easy to port apps to it. The implication being that developers who were using QT for other OS's (say Symbian) would just have to check a box next to N900 when releasing their next update, and presto apps would come flooding in.

Unfortunately, the people that initially used this argument loudly to fend off FUD about Nokia/N900 didn't speak up as loudly to correct any misconceptions about it. Hence many people misunderstood and expected tons of apps from other sources.

I agree with what you are saying, but in my recollection, very few others have clearly made those points, and let the "QT will save the N900" crowd take over.

*edit* the result being threads asking where all the QT apps are at

Last edited by lemmyslender; 2011-01-07 at 17:45.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
apt-cache rdepends libqt4-core

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
I think the 'apps' will only come with other elements that are scorned by this community...

- Hype
- Mainstream users
- Commercial developers
- App Store
You forgot support.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
A bit oftopic but still intresting cause this shows that they now is marketing even harder on QT wish is good :-)

"The rise of the multiscreen user experience to access content everywhere fits our Qt and MeeGo plans very well, as Qt is a leading choice for developing for multiple form factors, platforms and price points with various differences in the feature set."

http://blog.qt.nokia.com/2011/01/06/...ces-las-vegas/

Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
@kojacker

In my recollection: When MeeGo was announced, many people were upset (ie Maemo ending, no upgrade to MeeGo, etc). Many community members refuted these complaints by referring to the fact that Nokia's vision to use QT would result in far more apps for our N900's as it would be easy to compile for multiple targets (ie the N900) at the same time.

Something along the lines of "Don't worry, we'll get a community version of MeeGo to run on the N900. If you don't upgrade to MeeGo, don't worry, QT will allow lots of apps to be ported easily to the N900, so stop worrying / complaining / etc"

This message was picked up by many others, and essentially turned into QT will save the N900, it'll be easy to port apps to it. The implication being that developers who were using QT for other OS's (say Symbian) would just have to check a box next to N900 when releasing their next update, and presto apps would come flooding in.

Unfortunately, the people that initially used this argument loudly to fend off FUD about Nokia/N900 didn't speak up as loudly to correct any misconceptions about it. Hence many people misunderstood and expected tons of apps from other sources.

I agree with what you are saying, but in my recollection, very few others have clearly made those points, and let the "QT will save the N900" crowd take over.

*edit* the result being threads asking where all the QT apps are at
I did notice the "check a box for maemo" type posts, but in the main these type of posts were coming from non-developers. They did annoy me to the point I did respond to one back in May of last year. Perhaps having some developer experience I knew to dismiss these types of posts as unrealistic for all but the simplest of applications, because I thought they were in the minority view on here

But we had the same predictions of a 'flood of Qt apps coming' since we were waiting for pr1.2. Again back in May of last year I wrote:

Originally Posted by kojacker View Post
It'll be the Qt Mobility release then onto MeeGo, I wouldnt be putting my hopes up for many more 3rd party apps. It!ll have an initial boost with the dozen or so that are sitting waiting for 1.2, then back to the community releases.
Not much has changed from then to now to make the N900 any more attractive to commercial developers. Actually quite the opposite as the N900 has been in sunsetting really since the MeeGo announcement. Nokia and Intel are starting to address commercial development concerns with MeeGo and it's security framework but that's not going to benefit the N900 unfortunately.

I remember responding to issues regarding lack of 3rd party development in a Ovi store thread back in June last year
With MeeGo looming on the horizon this is pretty much what is going to be for your handset. There is not the developer interest out there for the n900 to produce a large or comprehensive catalogue of applications. There never will be. Having a large publicity campaign is not going to get developers and businesses to spend their time and money porting their applications over just to make you feel better. Nokia are going to spend as little as they can get away with in the sunsetting of the n900.
[..snip..]
Whether realising it or not, you have bought into a handset which has a strong open source heritage, it would be great to get more people involved in that side of things.
So I would say to people it's time to understand there is no great flood of new apps being developed for the N900 from any other source than the open source developers. This development community is really the strength of the N900, it's the one thing we have that other handsets should be jealous of. If you're disatisfied with what's on offer then the way forward to see cooler and better apps coming to the N900 is to get involved with it

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 330 | Thanked: 97 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ saudi arabia
QT is awesome i luv tweego so smooth qt app! portrait love! aslo 3D! check here http://zchydem.enume.net/2010/01/29/...nning-on-n900/

Posts: 152 | Thanked: 91 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Spain
Wallet is also using QT!

Protect your confidential information by installing Wallet for N9 and N900.
Visit: http://www.nowhereman.eu

Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by lolloo View Post
QT is awesome i luv tweego so smooth qt app! portrait love! aslo 3D! check here http://zchydem.enume.net/2010/01/29/...nning-on-n900/
What exactly is so great about this? 20 years ago we did this stuff (the exact same teapot) on SGI machines and Open GL with much lower spec than todays phones (although much higher price ) Seriously, who are going to be impressed by this? An ARM CPU in the GHz class with a dedicated GPU, and still the animations aren't 100% smooth.

I'm just curious, because those demos are clearly not good enough, not by a long shot. This is not my opinion, this is a fact, because it is obvious that something bogs down allowing the HW to be used only to a fraction of its potential.

Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
What exactly is so great about this? 20 years ago we did this stuff (the exact same teapot) on SGI machines and Open GL with much lower spec than todays phones (although much higher price ) Seriously, who are going to be impressed by this? An ARM CPU in the GHz class with a dedicated GPU, and still the animations aren't 100% smooth.

I'm just curious, because those demos are clearly not good enough, not by a long shot. This is not my opinion, this is a fact, because it is obvious that something bogs down allowing the HW to be used only to a fraction of its potential.
I was a bit impressed to see that video. I also was rotating the same tea spot with higher resolution screen and with smoother graphics update, and it is fun to see this now in N900.

But yes, I also wonder why it doesn't run smoother with the dedicated GPU, small screen and CPU this fast.

Tags
bada rulez, dickwad, go bada, in your butt, whining idiot