Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
All valid points... but I doubt that this function will have any practical use for the average user... I didn't hear any mention of audio capabilities for instance.

I can appreciate KJ's frustration. I think like him, I have come to the realization that Nokia has no motivation in developing the tablet into a PIM replacement and has left that up to the community.
I have also come to the realization that Nokia sees the tablet as a development mule and our community as potential presenters of whatever "concept" use they want to promote at the time. For instance, this and other future capabilities will just be "there", with no supporting applications.

Our community will then produce a flurry of activity in developing these new capabilities into useful applications only to eventually run into the brick wall of hardware limitations. We'll go through yet another period of disappointment and then BAM, Nokia will again present a new capability that they developed, in house and behind closed source code.

In reality, our community is just a means to help change the public perception of Nokia from a cell phone manufacturer to a computer company.

In essence we are promoting a future series of devices beyond "N"....
It sucks that we paid cash up front for this "privilege" though... I'm thinking we should at least be offered a dang stock option.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Posts: 15 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Bochum, Germany
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
So the actual FullHD decoder will be in the dongle? Wouldn't that make it quite high-priced?

EDIT: About the Impress - here's a straight compile of an old Impress 1.0 viewer - Imposter, not hildonized, but works.

http://bundyo.org/maemo/imposter/imp....3-1_armel.deb
Thanks for the Imposter.

That's correct, the decoder is due to the severe advantages external in this approach. Hovever, price isn't something I could speak about publically. Btw. if you've a recent digital TV, BlueRay player or Set-top box you've such decoder already several times, as it's e.g. needed for DVB, IP-TV or MP4 file playback. So why not use it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BeIng For This Useful Post:
Being, can you provide any clue's on if there are actual plans @ nokia to offer this software (and what license?) and that dongle thing? Or is this more a pure research thing and actual delivery is just way out the hands of this/your group?

edit an while you're at it:"A fully mobile usage with a single 1200mAh phone battery powering the phone, USB and an Near to Eye Display (NED) estimates to allow more than 6 hours typical office application usage time without a power supply."

how the hell do you get 6 hours on a N8x0????

Last edited by polossatik; 2008-03-15 at 00:52.

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Very interesting, and cool indeed.
And to think I posted today on my personal site about aspects of the tablet that hadn't met my expectations. This does - to a small degree.

Getting past the wow factor, as I understand it, only a few GUI apps are supported thus far. That makes me assume that for the upscaling of these apps that there is some UI convention that has not been passed to other applications so that they can (1) be uniform and (2) work with this new functionality. That part is fustrating. Its almost like most of the IT's development happens as a result of people wanting to bring order to a device of primeordeal ooze.

Still, its neat. And will be interesting to see how this comes out in 2.5 years (date guess from Texrat's saying that he presented this in '06 only for it to make an appearance now)...

Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
Its comments like this that I REALLY don't understand. The tablet is worth every cent I spent on it even if development stopped TODAY. I use it every day to listen to music in at least 3 different ways, type notes in meetings and classes. I have no problem being part of a 'test audience' if I can get as much *real* use of this I am doing presently.

If you don't like this function then post that you don't like it and step back and let those of us who do like it to discuss it without stepping in just purely to stir up crap. Karel commented on my first comment loooong after I had posted it, surely only to troll the thread further.

If you don't like what the tablet does for you then sell it and buy whatever device you think would your profile better and go troll their forums.
As for me any additional functionality is a good thing even if I only use it once.

Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
All valid points... but I doubt that this function will have any practical use for the average user... I didn't hear any mention of audio capabilities for instance.

I can appreciate KJ's frustration. I think like him, I have come to the realization that Nokia has no motivation in developing the tablet into a PIM replacement and has left that up to the community.
I have also come to the realization that Nokia sees the tablet as a development mule and our community as potential presenters of whatever "concept" use they want to promote at the time. For instance, this and other future capabilities will just be "there", with no supporting applications.

Our community will then produce a flurry of activity in developing these new capabilities into useful applications only to eventually run into the brick wall of hardware limitations. We'll go through yet another period of disappointment and then BAM, Nokia will again present a new capability that they developed, in house and behind closed source code.

In reality, our community is just a means to help change the public perception of Nokia from a cell phone manufacturer to a computer company.

In essence we are promoting a future series of devices beyond "N"....
It sucks that we paid cash up front for this "privilege" though... I'm thinking we should at least be offered a dang stock option.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
Much of this smells like vapourware - or certainly something which wouldn't be useful for many of the use-cases people are imagining (watching your own videos in hotels, complex presentations etc.)

The differences between the tablet screen and the big screen have already been noted (especially visible in the 3D scenes). Other times we can see "Full HD" being decoded which is going to need more than a USB->VGA adapter: *something* is doing a whole lot of donkey work here, and it's not going to be a pocketable USB dongle; more like a laptop or other computer running a full-blown OS. Which then leads to the question, what's the point?

Having said that, from watching the video it seems hopeful that we might see two things:

1) A driver for the various wifi projectors etc. that are now available.
2) Drivers for an (official?) USB->VGA/.../... adapter from Nokia.

In particular, an official USB->VGA adapter from Nokia would be enormous for no other reason that it'd be a proper after-sales add-on, supported by Nokia for more than just memory cards or USB chargers.

Although I echo Karel and YoDude's sentiments: so much of this cool stuff is going on behind closed doors, with occasional glimpses popping out - often of half-baked software. My N810 doesn't yet do what I bought the 770 to do, but it does things I didn't know I wanted very well. Still, a more varied, rich and polished set of bundled apps would be helpful :-)

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by ARJWright View Post
Still, its neat. And will be interesting to see how this comes out in 2.5 years (date guess from Texrat's saying that he presented this in '06 only for it to make an appearance now)...
No no no! NOT what I said. I said I saw the capability mentioned in data sheets prior to release, but was told it was not going to be available at first. Don't get me in trouble!

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by mobiledivide View Post
Karel commented on my first comment loooong after I had posted it, surely only to troll the thread further.
Yes, I troll. Obviously. I spout nonsensical arguments against the Itablets just for the fun of it. I'm really Mike Cane.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
Yes, I troll. Obviously. I spout nonsensical arguments against the Itablets just for the fun of it. I'm really Mike Cane.
Didn't we already establish you were actually John C. Dvorak?

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
No no no! NOT what I said. I said I saw the capability mentioned in data sheets prior to release, but was told it was not going to be available until April 1, 2008. Don't get me in trouble!
Great! Hold tight Karel its about to get interesting! We shall soon know!

Ok, edited to invoke skepticism.

Last edited by pipeline; 2008-03-15 at 01:35.