Poll: What about SteamDeck?
Poll Options
What about SteamDeck?

Posts: 119 | Thanked: 217 times | Joined on Feb 2015 @ Poland
I was shocked that Valve's SteamDeck don't have dedicated thread there(and probably wasn't even mentioned anywhere)

It's IMHO the most-resembling Maemo/Meego-line device today, because:
+ portable handheld
+ GNU/Linux based
+ Utilizes Qt, like Nokia N9 / Meego Harmattan and got similar interface colors
+ It's software stack is open source(except Steam itself), so it's much more hacker's friendly. (no binary driver blobs ^^)
+ standard UEFI/X86_64 device with upstream linux support
+ pretty powerful hardware
+ replaceable storage (I've got N950 with NAND failing :-(
+ handheld with most advanced inputs ever
- too big and heavy to be PDA
- doesn't have modem (but preN900 devices, like n770 or n800 weren't also)

It seems like it doesn't have any USB header or something which would allow us to add 5G/6G modem or DVB-T tuners, etc unfortunately (but maybe I'm wrong and we can solder some pads easily)

But it's definitely much more FLOSS/hackers friendly device that all this Nokia devices.
Being popular and standard UEFI/x86_64, so called 'PC' hardware, we will never end with hardware that's unable to run modern software (and so called 'kernel porting' that usually takes years and is abandoned in the end...)

I would love if SteamDeck could be at least twice smaller, without d-pad and front buttons (it would save much space) and use touchpads (end maybe joysticks, but with hall sensors instead) exclusively.

I personally find SteamDeck's experience really refreshing.

While capacitive joysticks tops + gyro is easy to understand from videos, the most interesting thing is in touchpads
While I was disappointed when Valve announced that (unlike SteamController) SteamDeck will not have double triggers, I'm not any longer.
If you remember how Nokia N9 had one of the best VKB/OSK experience, thanks to fantastic 'haptic' feedback in non-rattrling unbody case, it's a bit like that.
When you get of-of-the-box SteamDeck you will find how blatant(without any 'clicks') shoulder triggers and touchpads(that has rubbery feel, while pressed')...until it's powered on

While SteamDeck doesn't have any motors inside, touchpads itself are mounted 'speaker-like' and works like that, providing not only vibrations, but also 'click' like experience (when you 'click' them). This also works really good for triggers. The good thing is it will last long and and be controlled from software. I'm really big fan of it (although I would prefer this to be stronger effect...but battery life life would suffer from heavier membranes probably).

I dislike the provided on-screen-keyboard. While it's better after every upgrade, Nokia N9 OSK was much more better IMHO(it's tactile feedback was better than N950 for me) and faster to type (so Stoway keyboard is on the way)
But it got so many buttons(including 4 shououlder + 4 back buttons), that it provided really awesome capabilities for "Chorded Input" (like GKOS)

So are there other Maemians/Meegomians that praise or at least got their SteamDecks?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to badpixel For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
The Steam Deck has a USB C port that also does display out.
You can connect a USB cellular modem on it.

I'm still on the reservation list, waiting for my turn to pay my reserved one

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Just received the payment notification and paid.
It should arrive here in a few days

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
There's no option for "didn't realise what this was, will have to look into it" - I assumed as it was for gaming it must be Windows.

The Following User Says Thank You to suicidal_orange For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by suicidal_orange View Post
There's no option for "didn't realise what this was, will have to look into it" - I assumed as it was for gaming it must be Windows.
it's 100% Linux (Arch based distro)
And I love mine!

The Following User Says Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:

Tags
linux, plasma, steam, steamdeck, valve