Posts: 172 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Albuquerque, NM, USA
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Did you just make me into a type of beer?

These kinds of things really frustrate me because I do not want to take a fully functioning device, replace the OS with something that boots up, but not much else.

Call me weird, but a device that could make a phone call before I altered the OS should be able to do that (and more) afterwards. If I just want a terminal in my pocket, I'll go back to the N810 and keep waiting.

So cutting through all of the words; I read that it is a "No" until otherwise proven. Thanks.
For what it's worth, the screenshot at the top of the front page of plasma-mobile.org shows 0% signal, the same as on my Nexus 4.

The ofono service was enabled. I tried restarting it, but nothing.

As I mentioned, there's nothing in the halium documentation about modem. Only graphics, lights, sensors, vibra, and wifi. I guess I should be thankful that audio worked out-of-the-box.

Last edited by preflex; 2018-06-04 at 20:56.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to preflex For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by endsormeans View Post
PM on nexus is not "plug and play out of the box"..
there are things that need to be set up...
Let me get this straight. You get an OS image designed and prepared specifically for Nexus - not a generic image, you understand, that one might expect to have to mould into shape, due to a plethora of different hardware configurations out there, but one that is already premoulded specifically for Nexus, with one specific hardware configuration- and it does not work on Nexus out of the box??? That is totally inexcusable!

Thanks, but no, thanks. Next!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
I have tried both UT and Plasma on my Nexus 5 and they are just not ready - badly. While UT 15.04 might be usable, 16.04 is a disaster.

Plasma is even worse. It is slow, like very slow, nothing works smooth taping, swiping takes too long for comfortable usage. I can try to use both of them, make some bug reports but after a day or two I smack Lineageos back on the Nexus as even trying to use them is so frustrating.

The UT team tackles to many phones and none is prime time ready (for 16.04). Plasma has a very old TWRP and I don't get it why they don't update it.

That being said- this is only my experience full of frustration. Yours may be different.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to fw190 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
@ pichlo
yes...you need to set some things up AFTER installation...
it isn't plug and play...
at least not yet....
But really now pichlo..feigning shock?
it isn't any different than running linux on chroot in android...
it isn't plug and play either.
you need to set some things up.
No different than needing to set some things up if you want even a half functional n900...after reflashing...
(well quasi functional n900 nowadays..)

and yes ...the TWRP for the standard install of PM is outdated.
I noted a few days ago (when I decided that testing and retesting and documenting everything and tracking back some issues was a sane idea)..
that it was one of a few contributing factors to some of the issues I was having....indeed ..some of the symptoms of which ...some in the nexus forum complain of having during and after install..I believe may stem from a few issues resolvable ..

Dealing with that and a couple other little things..
and the issues I was having seem to be resolved.
regardless ...I intend doing a bit more testing just to be certain I got everything buttoned up.

then my next priority will be finding some solution to the res to x11 prog disparity ..
then I will see about a different "skin" to the beast ...a different wm / de ...if it is manageable to implement..
then ...".."...(haven't thought that far ahead)

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

The Following User Says Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by endsormeans View Post
it isn't any different than running linux on chroot in android...
it isn't plug and play either.
you need to set some things up.
I would not know, never tried it. I will have to take your word for it.

But let's consider what might make things "not work" in a generic setup, shall we?
As far as I can tell, those are:
  1. Different hardware. I have SuperDuper SonoBlaster 2000 that is directly supported by the kernel while you have UberCool AudioBlaster 19500 that needs additional drivers to work.
  2. Conflicting packages. I have a load of cr@p preinstalled by the OEM while you have none of those, but instead have half a dozen daemons and system managers you installed yourself.
  3. ... umm... ahh... err... that's it!
"Android" is an OS that runs on a variety of devices, all with different hardware, features, installed packages etc. Any of #1, #2 or both may cause issues. Yet it (usually) works fine right out of the box. Magic?

But you have a blank OS image (i.e. #2 cannot apply) for a single specific device (i.e. #1 cannot apply either).

So what could possibly cause problems and make X or Y not work?
No way it could be that the image is cr@p. Oh no, sir.

No different than needing to set some things up if you want even a half functional n900...after reflashing...
Here I have to disagree again. A freshly flashed N900 works perfectly fine. Or at least did when the image was released. You may want to tweak it further to your liking but you do not have to. There is a HUGE difference.

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Let me get this straight. You get an OS image designed and prepared specifically for Nexus - not a generic image, you understand, that one might expect to have to mould into shape, due to a plethora of different hardware configurations out there, but one that is already premoulded specifically for Nexus, with one specific hardware configuration- and it does not work on Nexus out of the box??? That is totally inexcusable!

Thanks, but no, thanks. Next!
Do you understand the concept of a work in progress? We in sailfish porters land have many devices where not everything works, and that's fairly normal.

I agree on your assertion that a specifically tailored image *should* work fine out of the box, and certainly that's what we work towards, but there is always a middle ground when we haven't gotten there yet and some things work and others don't.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by r0kk3rz View Post
Do you understand the concept of a work in progress?
Yes, I do. Had endso mentioned that it was a WIP then I would have never said anything. But he did not and I did.

Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
yeahhhh...
if one wants even a slow browsing experience it is easy to just "tweak' yourself into chromium via easy deb ...on the n900...
I don't think I need to go on about how little "tweaking" is needed for a functional experience nowadays on the n900
But I know!
I have a great idea!
Why don't you go and start a thread on it pichlo...

since this thread "was" concerning a first-hand unbiased examination of 2 os's ...
and "was" to be concluded with
final findings,
a walk-through with best suggested methods of installation,
and best advised methods of avoiding issues after installation ...

after giving both a fair shake...

"Yes, I do. Had endso mentioned that it was a WIP then I would have never said anything. But he did not and I did."

Really??

I'm done here...

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Had endso mentioned that it was a WIP [...]
I thought that was the whole point of this thread.
To shed some light on the current state of development, tested on the Nexus 5.
There was no big red warning at the top, but in no way did I ever think of it as a review for a completed. polished product while reading.
___
list of i486/noarch packages on openrepos (jolla tablet)

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to velox For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by velox View Post
I thought that was the whole point of this thread.
In that case, I apologize profoundly. My understanding was that it was a review of Plasma Mobile and Ubuntu Touch on Nexus 5.

There was no big red warning at the top
Exactly!

but in no way did I ever think of it as a review for a completed. polished product while reading.
Well, I did. Such is the importance of clear communication. I guess I should have learned, especially after both gerbick and I asked explicit yes/no questions and never received a straight answer, just a more impenetrable wall of text.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post: