Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
That's the same as in the GPD Pocket, isn't it?
You're right. For some reason the official GPD AliExpress store lists it as 1920x1080 under "specification" towards the bottom of the page but shows 1920x1200 everywhere else.

That's via HDMI. I'm pretty sure that the internal display is conected via eDP, like in all modern laptops.
Unlike the x7-Z8750, the x5-Z8350 has an empty field for eDP on Intel's Product Specification which I linked to in my last post, so I assumed it wasn't supported. As druk13 already pointed out, Intel's Product Specification page for the x5-Z8350 seems to be lacklustre (the cynic in me thinks this is probably a marketing tactic to make the more expensive product look more attractive) and I would've been better off reading their datasheet.

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
Hi,

I just want to mention that Fedora 28 KDE works fantastically on this device.

Few configurations needed to get the hardware good with stock kernel 4.16 after stock ISO installation:
- copy the touchscreen config file (https://github.com/stockmind/gpd-poc.../40-touch.conf) to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/40-touch.conf to rotate it
- copy the xorg config file to rotate the login screen (https://github.com/stockmind/gpd-poc...0-monitor.conf to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/30-monitor.conf)
- run two scripts (alsa.sh and fix_wifi.sh here: https://github.com/e-minguez/gpd-pocket-fedora) to enable wifi and audio/mic
- in KDE Displays menu, rotate the screen and set scale factor to 1.7

I'm using it as my daily machine connected to an external screen and USB hub. Very snappy and incredible battery life (10 hours or so?!?).

Extra tip: install the ScrollAnywhere addon in Firefox, it makes it easy to browse the web with the touchscreen.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to thecursedfly For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by thecursedfly View Post
Hi,

Few configurations needed to get the hardware good with stock kernel 4.16 after stock ISO installation:
- copy the touchscreen config file (https://github.com/stockmind/gpd-poc.../40-touch.conf) to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/40-touch.conf to rotate it
- copy the xorg config file to rotate the login screen (https://github.com/stockmind/gpd-poc...0-monitor.conf to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/30-monitor.conf)
- run two scripts (alsa.sh and fix_wifi.sh here: https://github.com/e-minguez/gpd-pocket-fedora) to enable wifi and audio/mic
- in KDE Displays menu, rotate the screen and set scale factor to 1.7

I'm using it as my daily machine connected to an external screen and USB hub. Very snappy and incredible battery life (10 hours or so?!?).

Extra tip: install the ScrollAnywhere addon in Firefox, it makes it easy to browse the web with the touchscreen.
This triggered me to revisit trying MX on this
(using Ubuntu at the moment)

I had downloaded their latest 17.1 for a different project,
and I see it boots okay (screen is sideways, of course)

I wonder if the fixes would work for this,
zero free time at the moment but maybe I can squeeze
some time to check later.

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900

The Following User Says Thank You to theonelaw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by thecursedfly View Post
You and I have very different ideas of the meaning of the word "fantastically".

Mine is admittedly a second-hand device and it is possible that the previous owner did not set it up optimally. It is also the Gnome version rather than KDE. Still, there were inexcusable glaring issues with it, such as the Settings application crashing with a kernel fault when I was trying to edit users, and then refusing to start again until I logged out completely and back in again. There was a pending OS update that fixed that but it did not fix other issues, such as...
  • Booting up and shutting down takes Bloody Ages™ (read: about three minutes), with absolutely zero feedback during the process, just a black screen, so you have no idea whether you pressed the button or WTF is going on.
  • There is no sound. No sound device is listed in Settings.
  • Closing the lid does not suspend the device and there is no setting to make it so. At least twice I had to finish what I was doing quickly so I just shut the lid and put the laptop in the bag, only to find it hot and with a dead battery when I took it out again after less than an hour.
  • The screen scale factor can be set only to 100%, where everything is so tiny that you need a magnifying glass to read the menus and 200%, where most dialog boxes do not fit on the screen. Nothing in between.
  • There is a noticeable lag in operation, in the order of seconds between e.g. tapping on an icon to start a new application and any visible reaction. Not at all what I would call "snappy".
  • No sensible package manager, like Debian's Synaptic, only a very high level "Software". That is a major issue for me. I tried to find one but no luck. There is "Gnome Packages" in the repo that is utterly useless. Whatever I do, it just presents an empty window, despite having sources set correctly.

Maybe you are used to "small things" like that but I expect things to work flawlessly and out of the box.

Originally Posted by theonelaw View Post
(using Ubuntu at the moment)
Can you confirm it works? Having suffered the above, I was tempted to install Ubuntu on it. I found an "official" Ubuntu ISO (16.04.1-desktop-amd_0809_2) and tried it live. It shows up sideways which does not inspire confidence to actually install it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Disclaimer:
It's been a long time since I used Fedora, so what I'll write here will probbaly be outdated or very generic.

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
[*]Booting up and shutting down takes Bloody Ages™ (read: about three minutes), with absolutely zero feedback during the process, just a black screen, so you have no idea whether you pressed the button or WTF is going on.
Sounds like the common unexplicably dumb decision of Systemd devs to not show any messages by default.

Open /etc/systemd/system.conf and activate the entry for ShowStatus=yes (remove the # at the start)!
This should at least give you useful messages during boot and shutdown. Most likely there's some service that's not starting/stoping correctly and waiting for the default 90sec timeout.

[*]Closing the lid does not suspend the device and there is no setting to make it so.
Try opening /etc/systemd/logind.conf and activate: HandleLidSwitch=suspend

[*]The screen scale factor can be set only to 100%, where everything is so tiny that you need a magnifying glass to read the menus and 200%, where most dialog boxes do not fit on the screen. Nothing in between.
I think I remember that's a Gnome-specific problem. So nothing the GPD Pocket can be blamed for.
btw: In Xfce you can set finer PPI values.

[*]No sensible package manager, like Debian's Synaptic, only a very high level "Software". That is a major issue for me. I tried to find one but no luck. There is "Gnome Packages" in the repo that is utterly useless. Whatever I do, it just presents an empty window, despite having sources set correctly.
Under Fedora there's always yum, which pretty much works like apt in Debian.

Having suffered the above, I was tempted to install Ubuntu on it. I found an "official" Ubuntu ISO (16.04.1-desktop-amd_0809_2) and tried it live. It shows up sideways which does not inspire confidence to actually install it.
Well, there's a portrait display (it says so in its EDID) build into the device in landscape direction, because all the good displays of that size are in portrait mode (smartphone displays). The OS knows nothing about the display being built-in "the wrong way".
So at some point you have to rotate it in software. This is nothing a generic install medium should do by default. This can neither be blamed on GPD nor on Ubuntu.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:

Mine is admittedly a second-hand device and it is possible that the previous owner did not set it up optimally. It is also the Gnome version rather than KDE. Still, there were inexcusable glaring issues with it, such as the Settings application crashing with a kernel fault when I was trying to edit users, and then refusing to start again until I logged out completely and back in again. There was a pending OS update that fixed that but it did not fix other issues, such as...
  • Booting up and shutting down takes Bloody Ages™ (read: about three minutes), with absolutely zero feedback during the process, just a black screen, so you have no idea whether you pressed the button or WTF is going on.
  • Closing the lid does not suspend the device and there is no setting to make it so. At least twice I had to finish what I was doing quickly so I just shut the lid and put the laptop in the bag, only to find it hot and with a dead battery when I took it out again after less than an hour.
  • The screen scale factor can be set only to 100%, where everything is so tiny that you need a magnifying glass to read the menus and 200%, where most dialog boxes do not fit on the screen. Nothing in between.
  • There is a noticeable lag in operation, in the order of seconds between e.g. tapping on an icon to start a new application and any visible reaction. Not at all what I would call "snappy".
  • No sensible package manager, like Debian's Synaptic, only a very high level "Software". That is a major issue for me. I tried to find one but no luck. There is "Gnome Packages" in the repo that is utterly useless. Whatever I do, it just presents an empty window, despite having sources set correctly.

Maybe you are used to "small things" like that but I expect things to work flawlessly and out of the box.

Can you confirm it works? Having suffered the above, I was tempted to install Ubuntu on it. I found an "official" Ubuntu ISO (16.04.1-desktop-amd_0809_2) and tried it live. It shows up sideways which does not inspire confidence to actually install it.
WoW! - you got the exact wrong iso, .

I loaded a xubuntu iso from https://apt.nexus511.net/
and it works fantastic. (+ some minor tweaks)
There are other newer efforts which may deserve a check.
(I loathe ubuntu - but xubuntu is okay, for my preference)

sound really can work
lid really can sleep the machine
you may need to scale the desktop settings depending which iso

(My updates no longer work so I am looking to upgrade OS,
which is why I was checking into MX-17.1)

This device takes a small effort to get linux on it,
but it is bread and butter for my commutes and meetings.

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to theonelaw For This Useful Post:
So at some point you have to rotate it in software. This is nothing a generic install medium should do by default. This can neither be blamed on GPD nor on Ubuntu.
I know the reasons behind that. But when I am given something that calls itself an official ISO image for a specific device, I expect it to be tuned for that device and work on that device out of the box!

Regarding your other points, thanks for that. I know about yum and I suspected there were some tweaks one could do in a system file here or there but we live in the 21st century and I would really expect a nice GUI for such basic things. There is for example no excuse whatsoever for not presenting some progress bar or at least a rotating clock, galloping horse or whatever during startup or shutdown.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
we live in the 21st century and I would really expect a nice GUI for such basic things.
A Systemd dev would probably tell you now, that having such a GUI would be pointless, since on a properly configured system there's no time to see it anyway, and that the fact that you'd have the time means your system is not configured properly, which is not their fault.

There is for example no excuse whatsoever for not presenting some progress bar or at least a rotating clock, galloping horse or whatever during startup or shutdown.
My last post offered you scrolling text.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
My last post offered you scrolling text.
I know, and agree it is better. I was referring to the default option: if scrolling text is switched off, then present something else instead.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:

Honestly, I don't understand why you replied to me when we have completely different setups.

I was referring to the official Fedora 28 KDE (from here: https://spins.fedoraproject.org/kde/download/index.html ). So it's beyond me why you compare it with Gnome, and don't even know how it was installed as you got it like that from somebody else.

With the few instructions I included in my post, you should easily be able to get to my same setup which works great (I have 0 issues I know of).

To address some of your points:
  • In KDE you can set scale factors between 1 and 2 (I find 1.7 optimal, as it seems to be detected as a 1280x800 screen by websites)
  • dnfdragora and Discover do a pretty good job for installing software (Discover is receiving a lot of attention by the devs lately)
  • sound and mic work for me
  • closing the lid does whatever I configure it to do in the GUI settings (by default suspend)
  • screen rotation is remembered and you have to set it up only once in the beginning
  • booting up and shutting down is fast (I think you are getting the 90 sec delay due to some application not closing properly; I think you can see the underlying message by pressing the Up or Down key while you wait but not sure, I noticed that casually in one occasion)
  • nothing is crashing for me
  • and finally I have 0 lag between operations, everything is actually snappy.

So if you have all these issues you speak of, perhaps you could try to install Fedora 28 KDE from scratch and see if you get the same as me. Note that for the few configurations I mentioned in my post you need to download some files on a USB key (or at least the wifi fix).

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to thecursedfly For This Useful Post: