Notices

Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
Originally Posted by Fellfrosch View Post
No J1 on my side. Xperia X.
OK, that changes things. I'll have to look into how to get RAM consumption for WhoGo maps and monitor it for some time. While its simple with collectd for C++ programs, here we have python script which is probably not a single one running on device.

How long were the trips to trigger such crashes?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by rinigus View Post
pichlo, do you run systemdatascope by any chance?
Not any more. I used to, but found very little use for it and did not bother reinstalling it after a system reset. I can kick off a terminal and run 'free' the next time. Right now it says total 828692, free 224012. With five apps open, including the terminal.

(Incidentally, WhoGo failed to start, even after closing all five. One Lipstick restart later, WhoGo started fine. 'free' now says 828692/189788.)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
The triplength vary a lot. Something between 30 km an 200 km. I also had the feeling, It just happens, when there is some rerouting necessary. But can't guarantee that. Also I have the feeling, it doesn't really have to do, with the length of the trip, but more with the fact how long the app is running.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Hi Everyone,

Rinigus was kind enough to help me out with my voice navigation issue before recommending to post about the problem here.

For some reason, voice navigation only starts working after I press the re-route button several times. Sometimes it works when pressing it from the first time. Just in case somebody has difficulties getting the voice navigation to work, you can try your luck with the mentioned method.

Also I noticed that voice navigation had stopped working after my car paired with the phone via bluetooth. Unpairing the phone bought voice navigation back.

Keep up the good work.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to brvmd For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by brvmd View Post
I noticed that voice navigation had stopped working after my car paired with the phone via bluetooth. Unpairing the phone bought voice navigation back.
I had a similar problem. It was the underlying cause of what I reported earlier.

The real reason is that my car is a bit slow at switching to sound input from Bluetooth. Merely being paired is not enough, there must be an actual sound stream coming from the paired device, only then will my car's stereo offer me the option to switch to it. So I have to start playing some music on the phone, switch the car's input to it, stop the music, start WhoGo... not ideal but it works.

Another option is to unpair but unfortunately it does not always work, voice is still muted. As if the phone thought it was still paired and tried to stream the voice through Bluetooth. I have not quite figured out what the pattern is. Closing and restarting WhoGo does not always help either. I will try your re-routing workaround the next time.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
loving the app, itd be handy if theres a way to pick which speech engine to use if multiple are installed.

being able to have a route based on several drop offs would be handy :P

Last edited by m4r0v3r; 2018-05-20 at 09:45.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
What is the current policy on translations? I would like to see my Russian localization (which is already in Transifex) released or at least available in a test build rpm.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Viacheslav For This Useful Post:
Posts: 141 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Viacheslav View Post
What is the current policy on translations? I would like to see my Russian localization (which is already in Transifex) released or at least available in a test build rpm.
It will be included in the next release.

I just don't include severely incomplete translations, which Russian has been before and I don't tend to make new releases on account of translation updates when there's a new major/minor release coming out soon anyway.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to otsaloma For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Rinigus, Otsaloma, you are my heroes.
I finally ditched android navigation completely thanks to WhoGo maps.

Are you aware that WhoGo is "competing" with the big ones now by offering similar feature set?
You even have all puzzle pieces in place to overtake them with an unprecedented killer feature.

One thing no mobile navigation can offer is what embedded car solutions are best known for.
Reliable data directly from the car!

There is OBDfish in Jolla Store and combining it with WhoGo would allow for nifty things like speed data without Gps reception (perfect for tunnels and such), fuel/reach calculation (will i maybe need to refuel if i speed or better go slow) or eyecandy like nice (optional) rpm graphs.

Now that i compare WhoGo on (very) high level with all other solutions i know, 2 things are "missing" for me.

Firstly, the 1 second(?) position update is slammed into the users face as honestly as it can be. The other way around i would love to not see the absolute accurate position where i am now, it would be enough for me to know where i was 1 second ago and have a nice fluid transition to the next known point and possibly fluid transitions overall while navigating.

For the second i threw together some code to not sound completely demanding without delivering something

How do you think about a gauge display for the current speed? I always focus on gps-speed when evading speed traps with just that slight 2km/h over and would love to have some sort of (optional/settings) large speed display.
Here my mock-up and code that should work if you feed the right data and somehow update it every second. Also feel free to adapt and change what is necessary to look good on the actual map display.
The Font is Source Han Sans, you might want to change that to Source Sans Pro.
gauge-test-upload.zip

Last edited by mosen; 2018-06-07 at 21:37. Reason: typos

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 141 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Finland
Originally Posted by mosen View Post
Firstly, the 1 second(?) position update is slammed into the users face as honestly as it can be. The other way around i would love to not see the absolute accurate position where i am now, it would be enough for me to know where i was 1 second ago and have a nice fluid transition to the next known point and possibly fluid transitions overall while navigating.
It's a known issue, it's probably possible to improve it.

https://github.com/otsaloma/whogo-maps/issues/34

Originally Posted by mosen View Post
For the second i threw together some code to not sound completely demanding without delivering something
I have probably already said no to giant speed meters a couple times, as it seems to me hijacking a general purpose map app for a niche purpose, regardless of whether there's an option to show or hide the meter. If there is some day a fancier navigation view separate from the normal map view (see e.g. Kanzi), then in such a context it could make more sense.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to otsaloma For This Useful Post: