Posts: 339 | Thanked: 1,623 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ France
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
"I have shown it to one but I am not going to show it to anyone else." That is a VERY curious approach. Why not share the progress with everyone?
Because being open about the development would mean everyone here would discuss it, and either put pressure on Chen to add/change things that would delay the project, or bash him for not taking into account the remarks.
Everyone scream when there is vaporware, and at least for this one, you can't as he has not launch the project before being ready.

That doesn't mean that he is closed to comments, so he choose people he trust to give constuctive feedback, in a way he can control (unlike this forum, me included).

Not usual in this temple of open-source/hw, but seems like something a project that want to succeed could do.

Also... why would anyone "thank" that post? Are people so desperate that they are thankful for any illusion of an update?
I don't thing thanks mean anything particular on this forum, as not two people uses them the same way, but you can see it as a feedback that his posts are read carefully by people expecting this product, and any information he will be ready to give (like this "not ready yet" post, which is a lot more than some other projects we often talk about...).

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Zeta For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
I have thanked the post because he just shared that the device is currently under active development, not dormant as it was when he was finalizing the Moto Mod, and made it clear that he will take feedback. Two good news in one sentence, not too bad, plus I'm grateful that he still monitors the thread. He does not post as often as he used to, I suppose because he is actually working on the device and not sharing ideas or asking open questions like when this thread started, so it is good to see him keeping us posted.

I believe the reason why progress is not shared with everyone in total transparency as this stage is because this is not a crowdfunded device. As far as I know, we don't know how it is funded, but it is reasonable to assume that sharing every step or milestone with the public could be an issue regarding the underlying funding contracts if third parties and money are involved. I have no information on that, but the way I see it, the approach is more a way to share as much as he can rather than keep things as secret as he can.

In any case, I did not see much or get details, Chen has been very cautious. All I can say is I did see something I didn't see in the thread, so there was indeed some progress being done, unless everything was forged (but, well, do we believe that?).

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 93 | Thanked: 358 times | Joined on Jul 2016 @ Paraguay
"I have shown it to one but I am not going to show it to anyone else." That is a VERY curious approach. Why not share the progress with everyone?

Also... why would anyone "thank" that post? Are people so desperate that they are thankful for any illusion of an update?
I pressed thanks because I can

Enviado desde mi H3123 mediante Tapatalk

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to meloferz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I’m all for sharing with everyone. But only if there is something to show. Currently it’s hardly any real thing and so it’s totally useless for everyone.

The only purpose I can see to share is to give potential buyers a sense of importance to the project.

But then again. Chen had a slightly unrealistic timetable last time we discussed that. So to me, team Chen should have something real to show when he wants to show it.

Not sure way he wants to state the member have seen something but not anyone else. The might give the feeling of exclusion.

Then again. Not sure what Chen is up to.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Why not? Why I should share the progress with EVERYONE even this is not a crowdfunding project?

I don't see the benefit of sharing any unfinished / work in progress information at this stage. I don't know what you think but to develop something like this costs at least a few million$ I need to make sure to my best it become commercially successful afterwards. And posting confidential information earlier has quite a few obvious risks as this is a public forum. Not saying I don't trust you but there is things called NDA and no one shares progress publically when developing a new product. (Unless crowdfunding, of course) This is very obvious to me.

I'm thinking quite differently - why would anyone thank your post because it even does not make any sense.

I did mentioned to your curious before that I am NOT doing any marketing here. Even if every active member buys 2-3 it will not even make it to breakeven. So what do I get from you if I make it a real illusion? There is even no crowdfunding. Why there is so many conspiracy around? I'm not taking anything from you yet. And I don't understand why it now becomes VERY curious.

The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
To sum up:

- Information to public will be shared when it's ready, physically and commercially. To avoid some quite obvious risks. (Pichlo, a company don't share their business plan or R&D progress on public forum)

- I share some information with selected members I trust, and I tell publically that I shared because I want to let community know I haven't dead / give up / bankrupted yet. Work is still going on.

- There is no crowdfunding or whatsoever so I am not eligible of posting regular progress updates. If you think there is some conspiracy or message become curious, I'm sorry but I won't post anymore. (I don't know where it comes from, I'm not even attempt to ask anything.)

Last edited by chenliangchen; 2018-07-25 at 10:36.

The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
OK, Chen, you are the boss. Let's just say that "it is not how I would have done it".

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Chen, what is your opinion about a trackpoint either on the keyboard, or on the back side (if I remember correctly, the PSP or PS Vita had a trackpad on the back)? It could be something like the mechanical trackpoint of the GPD Pocket, or typical IBM laptops, or the optical trackpoint of the GPD Pocket 2. I heard mechanical trackpoints are better but I never tried optical.

GPD 1, mechanical

IBM, mechanical

GPD 2, optical

HP Mini Wireless, optical + clickable

Left and right click buttons do not have to be as big as on the GPD 1, nor do they even need to be located next to the trackpoint, and the trackpoint itself could be placed elsewhere, as on the GPD 2 (third picture) to keep the keyboard layout unchanged. Actually having the trackpoint on the top right, next to resting position of the right thumb would even be better for a device designed for thumb typing like yours. Ways to avoid adding new buttons for left and right clicks could also be imagined, like using Vol+ and Vol- as mouse clicks when the keyboard is open (as long as the left index can reach Vol+ and Vol- easily), or key combinations to be done with the left thumb like Super+Z and Alt+X (those are based on your mod's layout, since both combinations could be done with just the left thumb and no other finger, but it would have to be adapted to the new keyboard of course).

If the device turns out to be a multiboot device capable of booting a full fledged Linux OS, like the Gemini is with Debian, then being able to use the keyboard and the mouse without plugging anything would be a key killer feature. One could use Debian in the subway, in the train, in bed, whereas needing an external mouse is impossible in those situations. A touch screen is of course mandatory for a phone, but it simply does not replace a mouse/trackpoint in terms of productivity, unless it comes with a stylus like the N900 (and a capacitive stylus will not offer the same accuracy). Many laptops now have touch screens, I had one myself on a 12" laptop, and I quickly realized I would never use it to replace a mouse.

The Gemini doesn't offer a trackpoint and that is one of its weaknesses. The GPD does, but first released pictures of the GPD 2 showed no trackpoint, and they caused a great concern among users on social networks, to the point that the company altered the official pictures to fit in the optical trackpoint and show that they will address this concern. This shows how much people interested in HWKB handheld devices care about having built-in cursor control, without requiring an external peripheral.

For LineageOS or Sailfish, the benefits would be limited, but for other OSes, this could be a game changer, with little or even no alteration to the keyboard layout and thickness.

[Edit] "Trackpoint" seems to be IBM's wording, "pointing stick" is the generic keyword.
https://deskthority.net/wiki/TrackPoint

[Edit 2] I would gladly trade any of these pointing sticks for a N900 stylus, but I doubt we can reach the same accuracy with a capacitive stylus, and the stylus holder of the N900 is not to be negliged: it makes the stylus always very easy to pull out or store in the blink of an eye, with just the right index.

[Edit 3] Or the brave-hearted can glue an Ergo Mini Touchpad on the back of their Livermorium I guess :

Last edited by Kabouik; 2018-07-26 at 01:02.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
(if I remember correctly, the PSP or PS Vita had a trackpad on the back)?
You do remember correctly, the PS Vita has a (rather large) trackpad on the back.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nh1402 For This Useful Post:
Oh, if it's a trackpad, it might be unreasonably large for a phone, I suppose it would significantly increase the thickness and bring too many changes to the case. However, maybe sticking a mechanical or optical trackpoint somewhere on the right of the keyboard would work with minimal alterations. I am assuming there would be abundant space in the keyboard half, since all keys could fit in the Moto Mod and this one will be bigger due to the screen size, with no particular need to increase the size of the keys (unlike the GPD or Gemini which are meant for full-hand typing).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:

Tags
n950 revival, q-device, qwerty keyboard, sailfishos, sailingchen