Active Topics

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
I was pumped for this device, but think it is a poor design decision to not use micro usb. Pass for me and will wait for something else that does not try to screw users over with more cable purchases. Micro usb has just taken over for mini usb and now OEMs have to be cute with something else.

I will wait for the dual core devices with Tegra
Charging this thing with micro usb would take a loooong time. Besides, there it comes with a PDMI to usb cable.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I'm about to go two up on the Samsung Galaxy S line. This... looks... awesome.
If you are or have been a Nokia N900 user I'm looking very much forward to a review from your hand.

Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
This is exactly what I need for my family - for me I won't abandon the pocketable concept and Maemo/Meego. Depending on how much it costs, I think I am getting one. Of course, if we have a Meego tablet before the end of the year, I'll take that.
The problem with iPad is lack of software available for it. The same problem exists for Harmattan, and I'd assume Galaxy Tab.

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
See ENDLESS discussion before the release of the N900 saying that a device needs to be POCKETABLE. No one wants 7" except people interested in niche devices like me! Nokia is so lucky to have missed out of the sales that they would have gotten with a reader or another tablet!
Except there was hardly any end-user-usable software for their tablet, it wasn't user-friendly enough, and there wasn't a DRM ebook platform available.

Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
[..]

However, the GPU is the fastest in the industry. Of course, until dual-coreTegra 2 comes along, which will be far faster in both CPU and GPU!

[...]
It remains to be seen how good the Linux drivers will be. I'd put my money on AMD/ATI in that regard.

Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
It remains to be seen how good the Linux drivers will be. I'd put my money on AMD/ATI in that regard.
I'm talking specifically about mobile tech, namely SoC devices. I seem to recall seeing a Tegra 2 bench which confirms that it's faster than the hummingbird (need confirmation, though). Of course, the new Intel SoC may prove to be added competition.

I've heard AMD making noise in the netbook market, but I've yet to hear any phone-grade CPU/GPUs announced.

The problem with iPad is lack of software available for it. The same problem exists for Harmattan, and I'd assume Galaxy Tab.
I thought they both have access to their respective application markets?

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
This is cool for Canadians:

Rogers has an iPad data plan which costs $15/month prepaid when you need it! That's 250MB of data -- which isn't a lot, but PERFECT for occasional data usage when away from WiFi. If you go over, you simply pay another $15! It's contract free and comprehensive!

http://www.rogers.com/web/content/ipad-dataplans

I'm wondering if this service will work with the Tab (presumably with a microSIM adaptor). This would be PERFECT for me, and an even better deal than the $7 weekly, as I wouldn't need to purchase data every week, and would work out to be cheaper in the long run.

Anyone willing to test the SIM in their non-iPad device? Perhaps someone else has already tried this?

Here's a link to an ultra-cheap ($1.50 including shipping) micro sim adapter courtesy of Deal Extreme:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.41528

Ahh.. According to the FAQ, the Rogers iPad micro-sim will only work in the iPad... WHY?!?!?!

http://www.rogers.com/web/content/for-ipad-faqs

Anyway, here's hoping that someone creates some sort of a hack *or* Rogers releases the Tab with a similar option. I suppose $7 data isn't too bad, but I like the month-long activation.

I'm talking specifically about mobile tech, namely SoC devices. I seem to recall seeing a Tegra 2 bench which confirms that it's faster than the hummingbird (need confirmation, though). Of course, the new Intel SoC may prove to be added competition.

I've heard AMD making noise in the netbook market, but I've yet to hear any phone-grade CPU/GPUs announced.
Yes, you're right, AMD Ontario Fusion-apu has 9W TDP which is too high for smartphones. However, it is the only SoC GPU which will have an open source driver. PowerVR and Nvidia Tegra won't, and Intel cancelled Larabee.

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
I thought they both have access to their respective application markets?
Yes, but apps have to be ported similar to how apps have to become "iOS 4 ready".

The Following User Says Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Ahh.. According to the FAQ, the Rogers iPad micro-sim will only work in the iPad... WHY?!?!?!

[...]
MicroSIM?

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

MicroSIM?

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.
Yeah, forgive my spelling. It's just a cut-down sim card. Technically the only difference between a MicroSIM and a regular SIM is lack-of-plastic.

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy