Notices

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Feb 2008 @ San Franicsco
can anyone recommend any good note taking of mind mapping apps like freemind? maemo pad plus is working good so far

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Notecase. Some people think Xournal is better than MaemoPad+.

Unfortunately there isn't a really cool memory mapping program that I know of. There are web sites that do that.

I sure would love to see a port of FreeMind. But it's written in Java...sniffsniff...suffering from Java envy over every platform except some 5+year old Sony Clie's...

Anyway, MindMap is a fav of mine:
http://freemind.sourceforge.net/wiki....php/Main_Page

Heck even the newer Palms have a Java Runtime...

I actually bought a copy of MindJet, the most expensive Mind Mapping program. I also like Brainstorm and Thebrain.

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Germany - Munich
There is kdissert but you'll need to use PB kde and ask him to port it..

Posts: 40 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Rotterdam, Netherlands
Originally Posted by braveally View Post
can anyone recommend any good note taking of mind mapping apps like freemind? maemo pad plus is working good so far
I've recently started project of porting Labyrinth on Maemo - https://garage.maemo.org/projects/labyrinth

There is no .deb package still, I was only able to do it for version 0.4. But I've chosen development branch 0.5 so it's very unstable for now and crashes a lot. But you can help me with adding Virtual keyboard(I have N800 so it's my first entry in TODO list).

Posts: 40 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Rotterdam, Netherlands
Originally Posted by turist View Post
I've recently started project of porting Labyrinth on Maemo - https://garage.maemo.org/projects/labyrinth

There is no .deb package still, I was only able to do it for version 0.4. But I've chosen development branch 0.5 so it's very unstable for now and crashes a lot. But you can help me with adding Virtual keyboard(I have N800 so it's my first entry in TODO list).
Prepared version 0.5 as a .deb package with one-click .install file. You can find it there at http://maemo.org/downloads/product/OS2008/labyrinth/

If you want to help me with hildonizing the GUI, please contact me via garage site.

www.mindmeister.com is one option. There is a new feature in Mindmeister that allows you to send emails to your mind-map application. This might allow for quicker and easier additions to a mind map there.

I use Mindmeister all the time, though I have found that it works better on a laptop than on my N800.

There ought to be a whole series of web sites such as Mindmeister that have web apps that work REALLY WELL for the N800/N810. Where are they? Most of the ones I use just barely work for my tablet, which isn't quite good enough.

(Though I have found that Notecase makes a pretty good substitute for mind mapping in a pinch...)

I'll try labyrinth when it supports a virtual keyboard -- my understanding is that the current version does not.

Posts: 133 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Mexico
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
www.mindmeister.com is one option. There is a new feature in Mindmeister that allows you to send emails to your mind-map application. This might allow for quicker and easier additions to a mind map there.

I use Mindmeister all the time, though I have found that it works better on a laptop than on my N800.

There ought to be a whole series of web sites such as Mindmeister that have web apps that work REALLY WELL for the N800/N810. Where are they? Most of the ones I use just barely work for my tablet, which isn't quite good enough.

(Though I have found that Notecase makes a pretty good substitute for mind mapping in a pinch...)

I'll try labyrinth when it supports a virtual keyboard -- my understanding is that the current version does not.

MindMeister all the way!!!

There are many online mind mapping sites, but almost none of them work truly well with my N800. I have now discovered one that works much better than the previous champ, which was the Mindmeister site.

It is http://en.ekpenso.com/.

It doesn't have all the cool features of Mindmeister, but you can easily use it on your tablet to produce complex mind maps much bigger than the screen, make the nodes different colors, and change which nodes your nodes connect to.

It takes a bit to discover how to do some of these things, because the English-language documentation on the site is sparse, though the German docs look better.

The site appears to be completely free and I didn't see a limit to the number of mind maps you can create, which contrasts favorably to the Mindmeister site, which limits you to about six maps.

The N810 has Labyrinth, but it requires a keyboard. Notecase is a good hierarchical note program for the N800 or N810, but it doesn't have the freedom of a real mind map program. This site seems to me to be the best mind mapping option available for the N800.

Ekpenso is said to be Esperanto for 'idea'.