but isnt it possible to make N900 run more faster. the speedpatch doesnt work. its nothin but crap. freezes the phone a lot. overclocking is one way but it doesnt do me any good. my phone is overclocked to 850 running ideal profile but still it freezes for example if a phone call comes when i am browsing. its terrible. my freinds laf at me. where the are using galaxy s and even people using milestone. seriously, there are many times that i even missed a call twice or thrice. what shud i do?

Posts: 4,118 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by Mohammed Muid View Post
what shud i do?
Sorry, but I have to say: sell and get yourself an Android (this is the N900 and not a cell phone.)

Originally Posted by MaddogG View Post
Or, you can try swapset. I use it and it works pretty fine.
Thanks a lot for the hint to this package (script).
This seems to me as the best trial for newbies. I checked sources and its nicely done.
Only the compcache I am worried about. Followed the zram thing, but it stopped somehow. I do not know the latest status, so I would like to ask anybody about feedback (otherwise I would propose to disable that?).

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
@peterleinchen
As I've written, way of doing ti via /etc/event.d/ script isn't bad at all, but it got one drawback - boot time is considerably slower, as Maemo need to enable eMMC swap first, then, via Your script, enable microSd swap, and disable eMMC swap.
No, as enabling swap is very fast, it doesnt consume boot time. Further I do not need to disable eMMC swap, as I start SD swap with higher priority. Last I do not disable eMMM swap, as it will not be used anymore at all (lower priority, it would only be used when my swap overloads). Just a few 4-5 MB are left on eMMC which were used during time between ke-recv and my script.

As - at this point - some thing are already swapped (most likely, You run event.d scripts after starting hildon-desktop), they need to be moved from eMMC swpa to microSD swap.
Again no, as I start my script like
start on started ke-recv
and then wait until SD and/or eMMC are mounted.
As desribed above, tme swap ram is not moved back. At least not immediately, but slowly during runtime.

As for using microSD swap together with eMMC swap, I don't recommend it, even with higher priority for microSD swap - it's still "in use", which creates (less, but still), I/O rade with things from optFS.
Just a No, as explained above.
Or at least what I understood with my limited Linux skills.

Also, I'm quite sure, that using loopback file for swap is considerably slower than native swap - as it's with ED loopback image or native partition.
This is a full Yes from your experiences with ED. But I do not know that in detail for swap space.
Again, limited Linux skills.

Please see this post (my explanations) as discussion base.
I think it is a nice way to do and it helps to move I/O load away from eMMC.

I think about merging my approach (using of swap file also possible) with the swapset script (starting it earlier, this is started on hildon-desktop) ...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
but isnt it possible to make N900 run more faster. the speedpatch doesnt work. its nothin but crap. freezes the phone a lot. overclocking is one way but it doesnt do me any good. my phone is overclocked to 850 running ideal profile but still it freezes for example if a phone call comes when i am browsing. its terrible. my freinds laf at me. where the are using galaxy s and even people using milestone. seriously, there are many times that i even missed a call twice or thrice. what shud i do?
1. Get new friends.
2. Get a dumbphone, sorry 'android'.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by vi_ View Post
1. Get new friends.
2. Get a dumbphone, sorry 'android'.
Also, ask your friends to get a torrent, unrar it, transcode it to ogg then broadcast it over the local LAN. You may then proceed to sh|tting yourself with mirth at them.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
my phone is overclocked to 850 running ideal profile but still it freezes for example if a phone call comes when i am browsing. its terrible.
It happens to most of us. The problem is not CPU speed but lack of RAM on the device and the ensuing swapping I/O storm.

Just yesterday my phone was ringing but the screen didn't turn on or respond until it was too late. N900 is great as a pocket computer, but pretty bad as a telephone because of that kind of thing... in my opinion.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stlpaul For This Useful Post:
You can use my script - it solved this (rare) issue for me:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=80095

This is going to require some experience with the n900.

Please don't post any questions about the script in this thread.

This device is quite amazing, but you need to invest time to learn to manipulate it, so i suggest you start investigating yourself a little more.

Good luck.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to impeham For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by stlpaul View Post
It happens to most of us. The problem is not CPU speed but lack of RAM on the device and the ensuing swapping I/O storm.

Just yesterday my phone was ringing but the screen didn't turn on or respond until it was too late. N900 is great as a pocket computer, but pretty bad as a telephone because of that kind of thing... in my opinion.
Never happened to me, since I use proper swap-related settings + swap on microSd + lack of swap on eMMC. For me, it's both perfect computer and perfect phone.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Never happened to me, since I use proper swap-related settings + swap on microSd + lack of swap on eMMC. For me, it's both perfect computer and perfect phone.

/Estel
I'm using same as you and still this happens (very rarely - once or twice a month).

/Estel
how to use "proper swap related settings" "swap on micro Sd" and lack of swap on eMMC" can u please help.

Sure thing. Just read this thread from the beginning, the apply settings that suit You best.

If You fail to understand what was said here, gain basic linux knowledge (or general computer knowledge) - no offense here - and try again.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post: