Hey guys i have a few questions for anyone who owns multiple of any of these devices...

1. How do these devices compare in volume...ie Headphone Speakers?

2. How do they compare in Stability?? like if they freeze or crash more?

3. How do they compare in WIFI range?

4. How do they compare in Web Browsing?? (flash videos, and just everything)??

iPod Touch:
1. Noticably louder volume with headphones, but does not have speakers. I have no observations on iPhone's speakers.
2. Crashing is mostly a problem of the user applications, not necessarily of the OS, but I have observed less (if not even none) system crashes on my iPod than on the N800 (OS2007&OS200&).
3. I have a hardware problem with my iPod, so I have no objective observations of it's range.
4. 800x480 is a BIG plus for N800 here. Safari's multi touch navigation and zoom capabilities are certainly nice, but being able to see most sites without zooming at all is bigger advantage. Flash is not (yet) supported on the iPod/iPhone. Speedwise they appear to be roughly equal.

The WiFi range on the iPod touch is some bit stronger than the N800. When using my iTouch, before I sold it, in New York I got many more Hotspot/WiFi spots than the N800.

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
The Mylo 2 has suitable Sony Headphones, unfortunately, they have a propietory port, so getting new ones is a bit of a challenge. Software is very stable, and much better overall user experience than the N800; though there is much more in terms of third party software available at this time for the N800.

If you want an entertainment device, but not be locked to Apple, the Mylo 2 is good here; very good actually. If you are looking for a tweak and work box, the N800 is better.

The iPod Touch is small, efficient for what it does, and nice in terms of the UI. Everyone has spoken about it in length, but I will say that it does make you wonder what other manufacturers have been doing. Its a polished piece of hardware.

If the Touch had Real Player capabilities and could bluetooth teather to my Alltel phone that might work for me!

The Following User Says Thank You to mdanehart For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ARJWright View Post
Software is very stable, and much better overall user experience than the N800; though there is much more in terms of third party software available at this time for the N800.
I haven't had a mylo2, and don't have the SDK; maybe creating super-awesome widgets has been made super-easy and there'll be lots of new one. Or maybe there's some easy porting route (from other QTopia devices?).

But at the moment, they're showing a total of 8 widgets in the mylolabs gallery: the 5 Sony examples, a GMail notifier, a Netflix queue, and a Wedding Planner.

To me, "much more" seems like a mild understatement, and I'm skeptical of the need for the "at this time" qualifier. But we know not the future, so it's perhaps the most honest course.

(The mylo2 hardware, BTW, looks quite nice. If there was a UNIX system available for it, I would be very interested in it; but proprietary widget systems cramp too much for me.)

I had a little bit more time to play with the iPod and specificly the OS.
THere is an apt-get portting project that has delivered a nice, working apt-get system and slowly ports of various GNU utils are appearing. Bashing and nano-ing around is really nice, X11 client, along with the GTK libraries is ported, X11 Sever is on the way.

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
I haven't had a mylo2, and don't have the SDK; maybe creating super-awesome widgets has been made super-easy and there'll be lots of new one. Or maybe there's some easy porting route (from other QTopia devices?).

But at the moment, they're showing a total of 8 widgets in the mylolabs gallery: the 5 Sony examples, a GMail notifier, a Netflix queue, and a Wedding Planner.

To me, "much more" seems like a mild understatement, and I'm skeptical of the need for the "at this time" qualifier. But we know not the future, so it's perhaps the most honest course.

(The mylo2 hardware, BTW, looks quite nice. If there was a UNIX system available for it, I would be very interested in it; but proprietary widget systems cramp too much for me.)
Developer's kit for creating the widgets isn't done yet (as of a few months back when I spoke to Sony/wrote Brighthand's review of the Mylo COM-2.

Would be nice to see them just jump on Opera's widget spec which has pretty much made W3C's spec. That would make things nice and simple.