Notices

Posts: 14 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Nov 2012 @ Australia
Not sure where to report bugs or performance issues, all roads seemed to point to here...

Loving xbmcremote! But is it just me, or is anyone else seeing performance issues with the 1.2 branch, specifically under "TV Shows"?

1.1.0 worked great, but when I upgraded to 1.2.0, TV shows was so sluggish it was frustratingly unusable. I've tried 1.2.1 as well (from http://repo.pub.meego.com) -- same problem.

I've downgraded back to 1.1.0 (Nokia N9 PR1.3) for the moment. Running XBMC 11.0 Git:a6df109.

Last edited by pdey; 2012-11-10 at 00:47.

Originally Posted by pdey View Post
Not sure where to report bugs or performance issues, all roads seemed to point to here...

Loving xbmcremote! But is it just me, or is anyone else seeing performance issues with the 1.2 branch, specifically under "TV Shows"?

1.1.0 worked great, but when I upgraded to 1.2.0, TV shows was so sluggish it was frustratingly unusable. I've tried 1.2.1 as well (from http://repo.pub.meego.com) -- same problem.

I've downgraded back to 1.1.0 (Nokia N9 PR1.3) for the moment. Running XBMC 11.0 Git:a6df109.
Well, I agree that 1.2 is a little slower in the beginning. The reason for that is that I added an imagecache which downloads all the images, resizes and stores them. Once xbmcremote has downloaded all the pictures, it actually should be a little faster than previous versions. In version 1.2.1 I have moved the downloading and resizing to a separate low-priority thread which should improve things a little.

Doesn't it get faster for you again once all the images are cached?

However, if you really think its unusable, you can turn off all the images completely in the settings which really should speed things up again.

Originally Posted by mzanetti View Post
Well, I agree that 1.2 is a little slower in the beginning.
Originally Posted by mzanetti View Post
Doesn't it get faster for you again once all the images are cached?
Yeah, I gave it a good bash, a few days in a row. It appeared to download all the thumbnails on the first scroll-through, then they were all preloaded each subsequent load. However, scrolling the TV Show list is painfully slow. I don't recall if the Movies section had the same issue, I'll reinstall 1.2.1 tomorrow and give it a try.

OK, I've given it as thorough a test as I can:

I've opened TV Shows section, scrolled slowly to the bottom, slowly to the top, repeated three times. Closed app and redid. Scrolling TV shows is still almost unusable (50 shows listed).

Did the same thing for Movies. Scrolling usable after about the second load, but still jerky/laggy compared to 1.1. But it's definitely usable.

Turned thumbnails off. Surprisingly, TV shows is still unusable. While TV shows, `top` shows the process is using around 80-90% CPU. Scrolling Movies at around the same "pace" uses around 45-50% CPU. (130 Movies listed).

Reinstalled 1.1.0. Scrolling TV shows, even while it's loading the thumbs, uses around 60% CPU.

One thing that could be causing the issue is one of the TV shows has no thumb? (in all versions).

Any more tests you want me to run?

Hi

I found an issue. When I use the keyboard to type something (for instance, while searching) when I hit 'e' the cursor goes back 1 chracter. This is probably because of xbmc's keyboard mapping, so I was wondering if there's a workaround or something that can be done. For now I write all in caps, so maybe that could work, to pop-up the keypad with default all caps?

thanks,

Last edited by javiermon; 2012-11-24 at 18:37.

some things are broken on xbmc 12 frodo, album list doesnt show up when artist is selected, actually movies and tv shows dont show up either.

should've read, looks like its fixed on the master, when will this pushed to our n9? or does it have to be manual update?

Hey Michael,

it seems xbmcremote's version 1.2 didn't make it to the extras-devel repo of maemo: http://repository.maemo.org/extras-d.../x/xbmcremote/

Any chance to get a deb from somewhere or are you about to upload the package to the repository still?

Thanks in advance!

Originally Posted by pdey View Post
OK, I've given it as thorough a test as I can:

I've opened TV Shows section, scrolled slowly to the bottom, slowly to the top, repeated three times. Closed app and redid. Scrolling TV shows is still almost unusable (50 shows listed).

Did the same thing for Movies. Scrolling usable after about the second load, but still jerky/laggy compared to 1.1. But it's definitely usable.

Turned thumbnails off. Surprisingly, TV shows is still unusable. While TV shows, `top` shows the process is using around 80-90% CPU. Scrolling Movies at around the same "pace" uses around 45-50% CPU. (130 Movies listed).

Reinstalled 1.1.0. Scrolling TV shows, even while it's loading the thumbs, uses around 60% CPU.

One thing that could be causing the issue is one of the TV shows has no thumb? (in all versions).

Any more tests you want me to run?
Hey,

sorry for the late reply. Somehow I didn't get emails from this thread any more. Anyways, thanks for this great report. It helped me to find that the issue is with .tbn files. My xbmc was using mostly .jpg files for large images and .tbn only for small thumbnails. Because of that I only downscaled jpg files in the cache but newer instances of xbmc store huge images in tbn files too.

Originally Posted by deviantv1ral View Post
some things are broken on xbmc 12 frodo, album list doesnt show up when artist is selected, actually movies and tv shows dont show up either.

should've read, looks like its fixed on the master, when will this pushed to our n9? or does it have to be manual update?
You can compile git master for now if you want to use Frodo Beta. I can't release the first Frodo compatible version right now because there is a problem with image downloading. I still need to see if I'm using an outdated API or if its a bug in xbmc. I will release the Frodo compatible version when I think the API has stabilized enough.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mzanetti For This Useful Post:
Hey,

here's an update to 1.2.2. It contains the thumbnail fix which really should boost performance for everyone affected by the bug.

Unfortunately I won't publish xbmcremote through the Nokia store any more. You guys have to download it from my website. If you want to know why, you can find that on the blog too.

http://notyetthere.org

As I really don't use my N900 any more I gave up in maintaining the fremantle branch. The code should work fine though and also got all the beugfixes for harmattan, except the UI ones of course. If someone wants to pick up the packaging/testing, it'll probably motivation enough for me to keep the code working with future changes.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mzanetti For This Useful Post: