Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
copy from here, http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/...ts-a81e-2.html, just a rumorland post, take it with a grain of salt,
==============================
Neither. I hear that jim at the BuyADroid store is going to be selling an unnamed android 2.2 tablet with freescale a9 cpu or something, and 512mb ram, etc etc. Next gen. Also supposedly a UK retailer is going to be selling same spec next gen tablet called the advent vega by october 18th (unconfirmed) for under $400 usd. More news over at slatedroid. google buyadroid store if unfamiliar. Try your best to have just a bit more patience until archos or other tablets come along, you waited this long yah?
==============================
Confirmed my feeling that it is better to hold off any purchase for a month or two on android 2.2..

bun

Just came across this thread, lots info about looking for android tablet vendor, http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/...y-tablets.html

bun

Bun, if you are thinking of carrying your tablet with you, then 7" is certainly more portable. I use my tablets at home for reading (not e-books, but newspapers, magazines and blogs on the Web) as well as streaming live TV, either on the couch or in bed. So portability is not as important to me.

Yes, the job I am doing sometimes has to wait 15 - 30 min in one spot and cannot go anywhere, I would stick out my N900, or my android tab later, to watch internetTV. Everybody around me are totally amused that 1) that strange looking N900 can play so many different TV (WorldTV99) 2) I can enjoy with such small screen (well, after 9 month of training ). So, yes, I plan to carry my a81e all the time, I am looking for some shirt or jacket that will allow a 7+ inches gadget, in anticipation of my new toy arrival.

bun

Sounds good. Do post review later about your new toy. Before I go to bed: are you still working on TV99? I just found out that my Archos 5 actually uses the following for its TV programming. You can find many channels there to add to the TV99.
http://vtuner.com/setupapp/guide/asp.../startpage.asp

The Following User Says Thank You to ch88xy For This Useful Post:
Bun, I think your stating it kinda weird. Portability on tablets depends:
A) firstly on the thickness (something medium will require you to carry in a bag/wrapped around your arm vs something small and light that can be comfortable in a purse/jacket's pocket)
B) the weight... obviously anything over 550grams will not be comfortable in your handbag/jacket's pocket.
C) BEZEL!! (if a manufacturer makes it with the minimum amount of bezel vs the usual millions of chinese tablets with supersized tablets.... your going to notice a huge difference when you try to store it in your handbag/jacket pocket and would downgrade portability back into a bag)
D) Screen size. The difference of adding from a 7" to a 10" is little but its still existent. I think one of those 7" with a lot of bezel is only slightly smaller than a 10" with very little bezel.

What I think;
1) have a smartphone with killer features (eg EPIC 4G) only that it has a replaceable battery, very very small amount of bezel and a screen size of 5.5". What do we have? A huge phone that feels awkward in your pocket but also a small tablet that just manages to fit into your jeans!
2) if a tablet is a must and portability is more important than more features, an Android tablet go with a puny 7" design like the Galaxy Tab and keep it super-lightweight so that lugging it around will be a breeze.
3) Or sacrifice a little bit to have a lotf more= have a beast of a tablet (features wise) with again very very little amount of bezel in 10" size that has a detachable keyboard accessory (netbook killer)

For an example of the last one, SEE THIS, as an example of what I would dream to own (obviously the Tablet Extreme model).

For an example of the first one, SEE THIS, as an example of what I would dream to own.

^If I had those two devices with all the accessories (attachable keyboard, memory cards, portable BD drive, portable 1TB hard drive) plus a PS3/HDTV, I wouldn't need any other personal electronics equipment ... would you?

Last edited by Kangal; 2010-10-14 at 04:03. Reason: typo

Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Who is kidding who here? Nothing touches the new Gen 8s in regards to features and price point. Catch is their Achilles heal is the bizarre way Archos has mapped app space. They stuffed the OS, stock apps, codecs, Archos UI and the user app storage all on the 512mb rom. The current Gen 8 products that released with 2.1 only have 220mb free space and when the 70 & 101 release with 2.2, they will have less than that, since 2.2 is about 25mb bigger and Flash 10.1 takes up 12mb of space.

Apps2sd will only help briefly, since part of apps still get installed to the device memory. As stands now, the Gen 8s will have the lowest app space of any official 2.2 device. In fact, the two year old G1 is the only device with less.

Leave it to Archos to screw up an otherwise great product. All they had to do was map the OS, codecs and UI to the rom and allocate some of the internal flash space for apps. Just like the Galaxy S phones, Tab, Incredible, Droid 2 and Droid X. The French can sure cook, but DANG they can screw consumer electronics up

Hey guys Check This Out. Now that is a tablet worthy of buying, and its actually the same one as the eLocity without its obvious (what were they thinking?) flaws. The only things regrettable about this device is the:
1)glossy screen - comon, if its meant to be portable its meant to see sunlight
2)Space - they should've opted to a 8Gb/16Gb solution like the Galaxy S, otherwise users will be very restricted with space available for apps
3)Bezel!!! why didn't they shift the webcam to the corner and eliminate the landscape bezels and also decrease the portrait bezels. Why!!!!
4)RAM - adequate, but it really could've been better going with 1Gb LDDR2 instead of 512Mb to use the processor/GPU at its limits.
5)SD card slot instead of a microSD slot

If they had fixed those issues, all that is needed is a dedicated developer's board to emerge (eg CM/phandroid) and get Froyo + MIUI ROM + Google Apps (Market, Gmail etc) hack + overclocking to 1.5GHz.

And what you get is a tablet worthy of the title "iPad killer" and one that is certainly better than a "Playbook" (by RIM).

Also guys check this out. It one of the better Windows 7 tablets. There is a video please watch it, a full review from engadget will be up later. If you dont like such tablets, I STILL encourage you to visit and watch the video. This is just to show you how a 10" screen can fit every content in a webpage. You cannot do this with a 7" screen, and if you did by zooming out, it would be quite small and difficult to read.

SO I will summarize: 10" + very little bezel = sweet spot = feature-full and very portable.
Do you concur?

You forgot one important factor: weight. To be suitable for sustained Web surfing, a tablet can't weight (slightly) more than one pound.

I have NOT done my homework on 10" android tab. I noticed that some people are calling those 10" tab as the "infamous" 10" android tab. Why the term "infamous"? because it is rare, not common or known to have some problems? Just wondering.

bun

Tags
droid tablet, wits tablet